Anything useful we should take?

Galoka

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

:D

A dozen litre bottles under the bow seat. Oh yes, and an ice machine on the worktop -- narrowboat fridges are pathetic for making enough ice fast enough... ;-)

43 minutes ago, IanD said:

Small bottle? Here's the gin drawer from our last canal holiday...

gin_IMG_20160924_190919.jpg

See I am a fan of the gin drawer, I currently have a gin cupboard, although to be fair we I did only take the one bottle on holiday this year as him indoors drinks Old Speckled Hen.  My gin cupboard looks like this, although my bottle of Cotswold is not there and that is fab!

20160401_200939.jpg

Just now, IanD said:

If you like citrusy gin -- more specifically, limey -- try Tanqueray Rangpur, yum yum...

I shall add it to my to try list!

When we were moored at The Cube in Birmingham in June, we went to the Gin Vault just before the bridge as you go into Brindley Place.  They do a paddle where you have 3 different gins, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  I heartily recommend it, however him indoors did have to walk on the canalside of the path as we went back to the boat, I may have been a bit tiddly....

The Horse and mule live thirty years
And nothing know of wines and beers.

The goat and sheep at twenty die
And never taste of Scotch or Rye.

The cow drinks water by the ton
And at eighteen is mostly done.

The dog at eleven cashes in
Without the aid of rum or gin.

The cat in milk and water soaks
And then in twelve short years it croaks.

The modest, sober, bone-dry hen
Lays eggs for nogs then dies at ten.

All animals are strictly dry:
They sinless live and swiftly die.

But sinful, ginful, rum-soaked men
Survive for three score years and ten.

And some of them, a very few,
Stay pickled till they're ninety-two!

Doesn't say anything about women...

• Greenie 1

Just now, IanD said:

If you like citrusy gin -- more specifically, limey -- try Tanqueray Rangpur, yum yum...

If you like Gin then you need to come to the Feathers at Woodstock. Took my daughter in with her chap recently its where we go for G and T. They NEVER have less than 300 different gins in stock and there is simply nowhere that does G and T like they do.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

If you like Gin then you need to come to the Feathers at Woodstock. Took my daughter in with her chap recently its where we go for G and T. They NEVER have less than 300 different gins in stock and there is simply nowhere that does G and T like they do.

Woodstock, as in Woodstock Oxford? I am only in Aylesbury so that is totally doable for me!

Just now, Tawny75 said:

Woodstock, as in Woodstock Oxford? I am only in Aylesbury so that is totally doable for me!

Yes absolutely the one. Give it a try non of the crappy choice in the usual places, these guys REALY stock Gin.....................It aint wetherspoons though..............thank god.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Watneys " Party seven " anyone?

That would indeed have been easier to take home than a corresponding seven-pint glass bottle, had such a thing existed, yes.

Many moons ago before retirement and boat ownership, we went on a hire boat holiday from Stoke Prior. In all the excitement of getting two wee girls on board etc and doing the handover, we missed the fact that there was no loo paper on board. Necessitated a hasty cycle back to the yard. After that we made sure we had a roll or two of our own.

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Watneys " Party seven " anyone?

Thanks, but very much no thanks.

I don´t have fond memories of Grotneys.

However, I did spy a 3 for £10 offer on 4 packs of various beers  in Tesco a week ago which enabled me to stock up on Adnams Ghost Ship (£5 per 4 pack or 3 for £10) for my current trip down from Calcutt to Oxford (will be reaching Heyford tomorrow).

I normally prefer bottled beer (in the absence of draught) over tins but this was too good to miss given that Adnams indisputably brew the finest beer in the world.

10 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

Thanks, but very much no thanks.

I don´t have fond memories of Grotneys.

However, I did spy a 3 for £10 offer on 4 packs of various beers  in Tesco a week ago which enabled me to stock up on Adnams Ghost Ship (£5 per 4 pack or 3 for £10) for my current trip down from Calcutt to Oxford (will be reaching Heyford tomorrow).

I normally prefer bottled beer (in the absence of draught) over tins but this was too good to miss given that Adnams indisputably brew the finest beer in the world.

The cut will probably be blocked nearly at Heyford tomorrow its a very busy handover day on the wharf across from my mooring. If you whack me don't worry a cheery wave is all it takes, you may put some blacking back on my boat if you do anyway :D

18 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

I did spy a 3 for £10 offer on 4 packs of various beers  in Tesco a week ago which enabled me to stock up on Adnams Ghost Ship (£5 per 4 pack or 3 for £10) for my current trip down from Calcutt to Oxford (will be reaching Heyford tomorrow).

Today they still had that offer on, for example, the very drinkable Hobgoblin. Unfortunately it did not apply to any of the three beers (Directors', Pedigree, Ruddle's) which I most frequently buy from Mr. Cohen's emporium.

Your second paragraph will surely trigger an enthusiastic debate, perhaps you should start a new thread for it (though I have a memory of there having been one in the past).

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The cut will probably be blocked nearly at Heyford tomorrow its a very busy handover day on the wharf across from my mooring. If you whack me don't worry a cheery wave is all it takes, you may put some blacking back on my boat if you do anyway :D

I've got a pot of blacking from recent touching up so how about if I stick a large brush of it on the side of my boat, instead of a fender (which obviously won't be down while we´d moving), just in case I make contact.

Or I could pop in for a cup of tea whilst you manoeuvre my boat through the tiny gap :)

Then I'm off to try and find Alex to see/talk about his (allegedly) fabulous chimbleys.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Today they still had that offer on, for example, the very drinkable Hobgoblin.

Your second paragraph will surely trigger an enthusiastic debate, perhaps you should start a new thread for it (though I have a memory of there having been one in the past).

I thought there probably had been (but in any case there´s no point in starting a new thread as, of course, it is indisputable!) but this seemed a suitable place to mention the offer and get in a plug for a favourite beer available under said offer. I may possibly be biased having grown up on the coast not a million miles from Southwold, albeit in Norfolk rather than Suffolk.

I like Hobgoblin as well, particularly the golden variety, but could not pass up the Adnams offer. Unfortunately I alsoo had to buy some Fosters and some cider as well due to an impending visit to the boat from some rather less discerning drinkers.

Incidentally I passed you (exchanging good mornings) heading up from Cropredy a couple of days ago but didn't make the connection between Trojan and Athy until about 30 seconds too late.

I then moored on a 48 hour (?) spot 200 yards south of your vacant mooring (at least it was till someone moored there soon after, no doubt with your blessing).

Edited by MrBeethoven
Speeling agane etc etc

12 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

I've got a pot of blacking from recent touching up so how about if I stick a large brush of it on the side of my boat, instead of a fender (which obviously won't be down while we´d moving), just in case I make contact.

Or I could pop in for a cup of tea whilst you manoeuvre my boat through the tiny gap :)

Then I'm off to try and find Alex to see/talk about his (allegedly) fabulous chimbleys.

If you pull up in front of my boat ( the dirty rusting green one ) and moor up nose on to me or anywhere along there were it says private moorings I can show you his chimneys. I have a brand new one in stock and two in use you can look at.. Soon as you go through " The narrows " pull in on the right, it WILL be busy I think. If not you should get in on the 24s just under bridge 206 past the watter point :D