Isolating Transformer

jddevel

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Any one experience of this make of isolating transformer please. I know you get what you pay for but there is quite a difference with say a Victron. Any idea of the reason please?

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/boating-transformer-bt3231

I have had mine for 11 years its actually one of the first they made for boats. I wouldn't waste my money on a victron one ......... there used to be a wiring problem with victron, the interwinding screen was connected to the boat earth and not the supply earth as it should be. This was done because its in a metal case but is bad practice.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I have had mine for 11 years its actually one of the first they made for boats. I wouldn't waste my money on a victron one ......... there used to be a wiring problem with victron, the interwinding screen was connected to the boat earth and not the supply earth as it should be. This was done because its in a metal case but is bad practice.

My airlink stopped working after a couple of years.  Got a Victron one now.

I use an airlink but it's the metal cased, permanently installed version.  The only problems were with the couriers they use.  The metal case of the first unit had clearly been dropped from a fair height, so much so that there was the imprint of the large internal coil in the cabinet base (sheet steel)

Needless to say it didn't work but the company were under the impression that the fault would lie with my boat electrics.  They soon sent a replacement though, it arrived banded to one of those miniature wooden pallets and it was smashed to bits.  Fortunately it had done its job in protecting the unit, which works perfectly.

image.jpeg.aa7e5d3042bfad0bae765ccec4ebcfb7.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NB Esk
Tried to delete unwanted image

14 hours ago, Robbo said:

My airlink stopped working after a couple of years.  Got a Victron one now.

Its very difficult to make a transformer stop working unless you excessively  overload it. Was it the transformer that malfunctioned or the soft start?

Bought mine a year ago and it's been "fit and forget" so far.  I had to supply and fit glands (M20 size), wire (blue artic 3 core 2.5 sq mm rated at 25A) and 16A plug and socket.  None of these were supplied with the unit so some electrical skills or a competent electrician will be required, but that will be the same for the Victron.  A couple of things to bear in mind are the weight and size of the enclosure when choosing a home for it.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Its very difficult to make a transformer stop working unless you excessively  overload it. Was it the transformer that malfunctioned or the soft start?

I wouldn’t have been able to overload it as my Combi wouldn’t allow more than 16amp via the shore power.  It may have been used a lot at high amps but, I don’t recall it actually getting very hot.  If it was this that killed it then I wouldn’t have said it was fit for purpose.

One of the reasons I would not go for the plastic version again would be lack of ventilation.  The metal box one looks better if installing in a boat if it has assististed cooling and over temperature protection. (I’ve not checked if it does)

hard to tell, as there it’s pretty much glued in the box and I don’t think you could remove without destroying it.  It was the “plastic” box version, not the metal one.

Edited by Robbo

Do you still have it and did you check the windings with a meter are they open circuit?   Normally if there is a failure it will be the varistor which is used as a soft start that fails resulting in no input to the transformer. 

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Do you still have it and did you check the windings with a meter are they open circuit?   Normally if there is a failure it will be the varistor which is used as a soft start that fails resulting in no input to the transformer. 

I still have it somewhere as I know it’s it’s rare for them to completely fail so didn’t want to just chuck.  I’ve not done any tests on it yet.

Edited by Robbo

20 minutes ago, Loddon said:

OK will take me a day or so to write it up.

No worries, the IT is at my parents so it’s not something I’ll be able to check/test for a while anyhow, but it would be nice to see what the issue is.

It sounds like a post worthy of pinning up, so would be good to start a new post with the info?

Edited by Robbo

12 minutes ago, jddevel said:

When researching the Airlink yesterday I some where on their website saw the name which led me to the link below.

https://toroid.com/Products/General-Isolation-Transformers

I think you're confused between the proper name of the manufacturer Toroid and the adjective toroid. 

A toroidal transformer is one which is wound around a circular core (a toroid) as opposed to a square core. Toroids are more compact than square transformers, don't rattle (no plates to come loose) and are usually far more efficient. 

The transformer in an Airlink IT is toroidal. 

Here's a link at random:

http://www.tortran.com/transformer_design_guide.html

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think you're confused between the proper name of the manufacturer Toroid and the adjective toroid. 

Everything about the electrics on a narrowboat confuses me so I`m not at all surprised.