Noisey PRM 150

Featured Posts

I have a PRM 150 D2 (on a Beta 43) which clunks quite badly when selecting gears. To be fair it has done since I bought the boat in 2009 but is getting worse now. I tried the drive plate but that is OK and the engine mounts are fine. I'm going to have to go inside the beast!  Does anyone know whether it is possible to rebuild the mechanical side without upsetting the hydraulic pressures? I suspect that the clutch plates are badly worn on the splines. (I am a mechanic of some 40 years but have never had anything to do with hydraulic boxes)

18 hours ago, RLWP said:

Most of the PRM gearboxes with plate clutches make a terrible clunk when they engage. It's in the nature of the beast

Richard

I'm surprised.  No dogs or gears are brought-in (on the hydraulically engaged boxes) as the take-up is through the multiplate clutches (if I understand correctly) so what is that clunks?

Not doubting - just asking.  

20 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I'm surprised.  No dogs or gears are brought-in (on the hydraulically engaged boxes) as the take-up is through the multiplate clutches (if I understand correctly) so what is that clunks?

The clutch tends to snatch shut very quickly sending a shock wave through the boat.

48 minutes ago, Tacet said:

All the plates are on splines, which have backlash

Richard

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

All the plates are on splines, which have backlash

Richard

OK.  Does the the less-free clutch not have sufficient drag to take-up the backlash in one direction?

On a motorbike with a multi-plate clutch, a crunch when engaging a gear is usual - but not when subsequently letting the clutch in.

4 hours ago, mross said:

Is OP going straight from ahead to astern?  I always pause in neutral unless an urgent stop is needed.

I thought one of the advantages of a PRM 150 is that, being a hydraulic box, you could go direct from forward to reverse, or vide-versa - am I wrong??

Thanks for the above and apologies for tardy reply. I only boot up the laptop every 4 days or so. Tickover was first thing I looked at and is approx 750 rpm. I never go from fwd to reverse in one go! I  agree that hydraulic boxes are renown for being quiet and smooth whilst mechanical boxes are clunky otherwise why complicate things. Thanks for the manual, I'll get to look at it when I get back from current cruise in August or should I say IF!