Ideas for one week from Stone

Eternal422

Featured Posts

Some time off, but we are planning a trip over Christmas week from Aston Marina just south of Stone, starting on Saturday 23rd returning to Aston ideally Friday 29th.  With the shorter days and time to have Christmas dinner (!) I'm not expecting to go very far.  Also stoppages may well impact on where we can go but we won't know until nearer to time.  We would like some nice countryside if possible, good pubs and moorings, happy to tackle any number of locks. 

I'm guessing our options would be the Caldon Canal or south on the T&M, perhaps to Fradley Junction?  Has anybody got any ideas and advice?

Hi Eternal

the winter stoppages have already been published just look on the Canal and River Trust website in the "Boating" section and you will be able to see what is scheduled and when. If possible the Caldon is really picturesque and ww loved it,

Tizzy

Thanks Tizzy - I've checked the CRT website and so far there aren't any stoppages that will affect us, so that's good news.  The Caldon looks a possibility for us, especially as we haven't been on it before, thanks for the advice.

The Caldon is definitely worth it. Everyone from Aston seems to call at the Plume of Feathers in Barlaston on the way north from the marina which is a good call. On the Caldon, the Foxley Arms is a bit of a quirky pub in Milton. It's situated on a 90 degree bend and a bit further on there's a slightly tricky bridge, then moorings on the right opposite houses..