Battery isolators

dor

Featured Posts

If you want to test if your light on the fridge really goes out when you close the door, then place your mobile phone on record, place it in the fridge, then open and close the door, then observe the footage after.

So at last a good use for a mobile phone, another is to view your remote control, aim it at the camera lens, then press the remote keys and you should see the image of the transmitter flash white as the camera is sensitive to infra red light, but your eyes are not.

Admit it.... who is trying it out now in front of the TV lol.... ?

Good tip !

11 minutes ago, RD1 said:

If you want to test if your light on the fridge really goes out when you close the door, then place your mobile phone on record, place it in the fridge, then open and close the door, then observe the footage after.

So at last a good use for a mobile phone, another is to view your remote control, aim it at the camera lens, then press the remote keys and you should see the image of the transmitter flash white as the camera is sensitive to infra red light, but your eyes are not.

Admit it.... who is trying it out now in front of the TV lol.... ?

Good tip !

Quite a few cameras and smartphones have IR filters now, so the remote bit doesn’t work on them.  The iPhone rear camera defo does, the front camera may have (think depends on the model)

13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

To save ya batteries. Particularly if you don't liveaboard 

Ahh I see.......so people actualy own boats but dont live on them? what a strange idea, where the hell do they live then?

• Greenie 2

22 hours ago, BargeeSpud said:

If that's the point at which the device kicks in, I'd say it's a waste of money IMO. I'd be very wary of trusting something to save my batteries if the let them fall below 12V.

Better, as you say, to just fit an LED in the fridge & see how you get on.

The device is adjustable so you can set to 12v if you like.   They make sense in some situations, but it’s not really a good solution for the OP as leaving the batteries at 50% for long periods will hurt them as well.

He could use a VSR to turn off the fridge if he'd forgot.  The contents are going to spoil anyway................................  At least it would save the batteries.

Or, he could get married, in which case he would not be allowed to forget.

Edited by mross

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But does it really ? 

It is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Often used as an illustration of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle - namely that the act of observing something changes it. So if you open the door to see if the light is on when the door is shut, then the door is no longer shut  ...

3 hours ago, mross said:

He could use a VSR to turn off the fridge if he'd forgot.  The contents are going to spoil anyway................................  At least it would save the batteries.

Or, he could get married, in which case he would not be allowed to forget.

A VSR needs batteries on both sides for it to work as it won’t connect if the other side is not above a certain voltage.  The correct device is the one the OP referred to in his original post as it’s designed to disconnect loads below and above certain voltages. 

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Often used as an illustration of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle - namely that the act of observing something changes it. So if you open the door to see if the light is on when the door is shut, then the door is no longer shut  ...

I'm glad someone realised what I was referring to.

Similarly :

If a tree falls in the jungle and there is no-one to hear it, does it still make a noise ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm glad someone realised what I was referring to.

Similarly :

If a tree falls in the jungle and there is no-one to hear it, does it still make a noise ?

Oh the version I know is "If a man says speaks in the jungle and there is no-one to hear him, is he still wrong?"

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

A VSR needs batteries on both sides for it to work as it won’t connect if the other side is not above a certain voltage.

????

A VSR will connect above a certain voltage. (Some designs will also disconnect above a certain voltage.)

There is only one voltage required. 

54 minutes ago, WotEver said:

????

A VSR will connect above a certain voltage. (Some designs will also disconnect above a certain voltage.)

There is only one voltage required. 

I have the BlueSea SI-ACR one and voltage is required on both sides (above 9.5v) and I think the Victron is similar, although the instruction manual isn’t obvious it does or doesn’t. (The BlueSea m-acr is also the same as the SI-ACR).  Looking at the BlueSea BatteryLink instructions this can be wired for low voltage disconnect tho.

Edited by Robbo

44 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I have the BlueSea SI-ACR one and voltage is required on both sides (above 9.5v) and I think the Victron is similar, although the instruction manual isn’t obvious it does or doesn’t. (The BlueSea m-acr is also the same as the SI-ACR).  Looking at the BlueSea BatteryLink instructions this can be wired for low voltage disconnect tho.

A VSR that isn't dual sensing would be cheaper and more appropriate. 

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A VSR that isn't dual sensing would be cheaper and more appropriate. 

The VSR’s I’ve seen are all dual sensing.  I wouldn’t recommend one for the OP’s situation unless I knew it would work.  Unfortunately the instructions don’t go into this (like the Victrons) as they are usually for connecting two banks together.   In addition as you usually can’t select the cut off voltage, which is usually pretty high anyhow they won’t be a good choice for the OP.

Despite what the Shoreline chap said when I bought the fridge, I wired the fridge to the panel (and not direct to the battery) so I can switch it off when I leave the boat for a few weeks. Probably bad practice but it's worked OK for 14 years.
BTW the light on mine definitely goes off when the door's shut. The sprung switch at the top often sticks so I have to flick it to get the light to come on.