Electrician

Featured Posts

I'm still trying to find an electrician to tidy up my electrics and who will confirm to my BSC examiner that I'm safe. I'm on the Macclesfield canal near Congleton - any suggestions? I've had one ridiculous quotation by someone who obviously didn't want the job...  I've taken an up to date pic of the wiring - there shouldn't be much wrong with it as it was done not long ago.  12 volts only, two batteries.

Wiring.jpg

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've taken an up to date pic of the wiring

Looking at it, there doesn't appear to be much wrong with it other than the need for a few cable ties as Alan suggests. 

You guys are right, but I suspect when Arthur looks at a snake's wedding of electric string it appears rather more daunting than it does to those who don't find electrics a dark art! :D

I'm a long way away Arthur or I'd be pleased to give you an hour or so of my time and a few cable ties. I'm pretty sure someone closer might feel similarly given the good deeds one sees occurring quite regularly on here. Here's hoping.

No. BSS says this: 

"NOTE – deck boards, locker lids, etc, made from or lined with insulating material may only be considered as battery covers where they will not be removed for any purpose other than gaining access to the batteries."

So if you remove the same boards to get access to the engine etc, they don't count. But of course insulating battery terminal covers are also acceptable as an alternative.

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

NOTE – deck boards, locker lids, etc, made from or lined with insulating material may only be considered as battery covers where they will not be removed for any purpose other than gaining access to the batteries."

I'd better sort mine out then. It has been the same for the last 3 surveys though.

As per a previous thread, it's the BSC examiner who wants it checked and confirmation that it's OK.  As it was rewired by a BSC examiner four years ago I can't see that it needs much attention, but I'm stuck with it. The lid's off for the photo.

The whole saga seems weird to me. I'd be asking the BSS Office for clarification on this. A BSS inspector who can't work out if the wiring is safe? Surely this sort of thing is exactly what they are trained to inspect. Did he also want you to employ an gas safe bod to test the gas system and declare it safe?

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As per a previous thread, it's the BSC examiner who wants it checked and confirmation that it's OK.  As it was rewired by a BSC examiner four years ago I can't see that it needs much attention, but I'm stuck with it. The lid's off for the photo.

Have you paid this chap yet? If not I'd get a new BSS person who is actually competent! As MtB says, it's very odd to the point of being ludicrous!

Untidy is not actually a 'problem' just not aesthetically pleasing.

The only 'problem' I can see (but it is a small picture and will not enlarge) is where the bundle of cables goes thru' the bulkhead - is there any form of protection / grommet there ?

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As per a previous thread, it's the BSC examiner who wants it checked and confirmation that it's OK. 

Sorry - I cannot remember the intimate detail of every post on the board - maybe should detail the question in full, which would give (maybe) a better response than 'use a handful of cable ties'.

Surely the guy who 'checked it' actually gave you a list of non-conformities to work to ?

If the BSS examiner is not competent to determine if it is "OK" himself, then what is the point of employing him - he is not competent to be a BSS examiner and should be reported to the BSS Authorities.

I have. in the past, had to refer Surveyors to the 'Authorities' for incompetence and failure to follow the 'rules' - if we allow 'them' to continue to get-away with it then standards will just continue to fall.

Do you take your car for an MOT and when they tell you its failed you just get someone else to look at it and tell you where the problems are - NO - you get a list of failure items to allow you to get them corrected.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely the guy who 'checked it' actually gave you a list of non-conformities to work to ?

Well this is the nub of it. No he didn't!

Instead, he instructed the OP to get someone else to look at it and declare it safe.  

The more I think about this the more I think I must have fallen down a rabbit hole into the looking glass world of Alice. This is BIZZARRE.

It certainly needs reporting to the BSS Office if there is nothing documenting the failure/refusal to complete test.

On the face of it it almost sounds as if the BSS examiner is charging for "tests" with the intent of providing no documentation.

I agree it all looks a bit untidy but I can not see a fail in the wiring given its such a small photo.

In fact after the previous post on this topic I would like to think the BSS office would be trying to protect their "good" name by asking Arthur for more info.

Edited by Tony Brooks

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well this is the nub of it. No he didn't!

Instead, he instructed the OP to get someone else to look at it and declare it safe.  

The more I think about this the more I think I must have fallen down a rabbit hole into the looking glass world of Alice. This is BIZZARRE.

No wonder that folks worry about their BSS survey - no one knows the rules - the surveyor is king and makes them up as he goes along.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

No wonder that folks worry about their BSS survey - no one knows the rules - the surveyor is king and makes them up as he goes along.

I really do think the OP should ring BSS Office for advice on this one. I'm sure they'll tell the bod to get on and do his job, and if he still can't, they will invite him back to the training school for "further training".  

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I really do think the OP should ring BSS Office for advice on this one. I'm sure they'll tell the bod to get on and do his job, and if he still can't, they will invite him back to the training school for "further training".  

That's what Rob@BSS told me happened when I 'reported' nefarious activities.

Mind you - he said it couldn't happen in the first place as they are regularly monitored and have to pass 'tests'.

I've been back into my messages to see what he actually said (word for word) but seem unable to find my old messages before the 'forum meltdown'.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've been back into my messages to see what he actually said (word for word) but seem unable to find my old messages before the 'forum meltdown upgrade'.

Just corrected an error for you... 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've been back into my messages to see what he actually said (word for word) but seem unable to find my old messages before the 'forum meltdown'.

All your posts are hear http://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/11859-alan-de-enfield/&do=content&page=486