Jabsco or Shurflo pump?

Featured Posts

We were about to set off yesterday morning when the pump failed for our domestic water system. Ten years ago I fitted a Shurflo one which failed after 5 years at the seal between the pump and motor. I replaced it with another Shurflo one which failed in the same way yesterday. After an eighty mile round trip to Midland Chandlers and just over £80 lighter we have bought a Jabsco one this time. Have I done the right thing I wonder? It was very easy to fit with luckily no plumbing changes. A quick clean of the filter and we were up and running. Now the flooring is drying out nicely in this warm weather. Fingers crossed. I dimly recall some discussion about these pumps and had I had more time I would have researched the issue. I hope my haste this time proves a lucky cal!

Hi,

I changed from Shurflo to Jabsco a couple of years ago, I was able to remove the expansion tank as well. I had fitted Shurflo a few times, but the quality seems to have deteriorated over the last few years and the reason for the change was a chronic leak.

L

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

We were about to set off yesterday morning when the pump failed for our domestic water system. Ten years ago I fitted a Shurflo one which failed after 5 years at the seal between the pump and motor. I replaced it with another Shurflo one which failed in the same way yesterday. After an eighty mile round trip to Midland Chandlers and just over £80 lighter we have bought a Jabsco one this time. Have I done the right thing I wonder? It was very easy to fit with luckily no plumbing changes. A quick clean of the filter and we were up and running. Now the flooring is drying out nicely in this warm weather. Fingers crossed. I dimly recall some discussion about these pumps and had I had more time I would have researched the issue. I hope my haste this time proves a lucky cal!

I did exactly the same last monday! same shurflo failure (14 years old) and fitted a jabsco. Only difference is 5 psi less pressure. Works fine. Our floor dried in 5 days. I'll see how it goes over the next 14 years ;)

• Greenie 1

Judging by other people's comments, the quality of Shurflo pumps certainy seem to have diminished in recent years, but that seal has always been a problem, especially if you left water in it all winter in an unheated boat. However the diaphragm unit (which incorporates the seal) is available as a spare and is quite easy to replace. It actually takes longer to remove and re-instal the pump than it takes to service the pump.

I always kept a fully operational spare pump for swift replacement, and serviced the leaking one afterwards. One of the pumps on our boat was still the original one which was installed when we bought the boat (second hand) twenty years earlier, the spare was one which I purchased a couple of years after aquiring the boat. both had been serviced a couple of times in twenty years.

Edited by David Schweizer

Before I threw the old pump away I took it apart to see how it worked. I saved the stainless screws and bolts! However water seemed to have got past the bearing I think into the motor....I sort of felt I could hear some moving around in there. It was dead when I put some current through it.

On reflection I perhaps should have tried to repair it as a spare. I have all sorts of other spares on the boat, mainly an alternator, fuel bits, hoses, belt, engine parts and central heating parts. Next time I see a pump on offer I'll get one and then, like the other stash of spares it will ensure i never need one.

Where will it end though? Shower drain pump? Chimney? 

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

11 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Its never ending. We have a whale gulper for shower drain, its nearly 18 years old. We had shurflo pumps for years as the main water pump, guaranteed to leak after 2 to 3 years liveaboard use. Changed to jabsco parmax  a couple of years ago. I suspect the longevity will be comparable. Ive come to the conclusion that a water pump is a consumable, and keep a spare on the shelf. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

I had various pump parts from a now defunct manufacturer saved for spares... 

I repaired my last main water pump - a temporary casing leak solved with Lsx which lasted for ages - but decided to throw the old bits out and buy Jabsco as I knew one day I would get stuck. Very pleased with my decision, I don't carry a spare pump but should...

Guaranteed to have jinxed it by posting here.

Edited by Paringa
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Before I threw the old pump away I took it apart to see how it worked. I saved the stainless screws and bolts! However water seemed to have got past the bearing I think into the motor....I sort of felt I could hear some moving around in there. It was dead when I put some current through it.

On reflection I perhaps should have tried to repair it as a spare. I have all sorts of other spares on the boat, mainly an alternator, fuel bits, hoses, belt, engine parts and central heating parts. Next time I see a pump on offer I'll get one and then, like the other stash of spares it will ensure i never need one.

I have in stock for when the inevitable happens two morso cables, water pump, whale gulper, combi inverter, all drive belts, all filters several, mucho oil, a cruising chimney and a mooring chimney and a  spare chimney, two sets of ropes, 6 lifejackets ( four unopened )  approx 8 mooring pins, nappy pins, chains and loadsa windy things for the wife for the lock thingies. I do have plenty of other spares but you have reminded me I need a set of hoses !!

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have in stock for when the inevitable happens two morso cables, water pump, whale gulper, combi inverter, all drive belts, all filters several, mucho oil, a cruising chimney and a mooring chimney and a  spare chimney, two sets of ropes, 6 lifejackets ( four unopened )  approx 8 mooring pins, nappy pins, chains and loadsa windy things for the wife for the lock thingies. I do have plenty of other spares but you have reminded me I need a set of hoses !!

And a partridge in a pear tree! 

I have a Jabsco and a Whale pump. (one for cold water, the other for hot water) The Whale pump is a lot quieter despite being 5 PSI greater. (30 PSI vs 25 PSI) The pressure difference is also noticeable.

I had a 30 PSI Shurflo pump before and it failed in the same way. I heard nothing but bad things about them when I was looking to replace it before I got the Whale pump. 

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Judging by other people's comments, the quality of Shurflo pumps certainy seem to have diminished in recent years, but that seal has always been a problem, especially if you left water in it all winter in an unheated boat. However the diaphragm unit (which incorporates the seal) is available as a spare and is quite easy to replace. It actually takes longer to remove and re-instal the pump than it takes to service the pump.

I always kept a fully operational spare pump for swift replacement, and serviced the leaking one afterwards. One of the pumps on our boat was still the original one which was installed when we bought the boat (second hand) twenty years earlier, the spare was one which I purchased a couple of years after aquiring the boat. both had been serviced a couple of times in twenty years.

Fair point I could have repaired the Shurflo on our boat, but for the few quid it saved, it just didn't seem worth putting new components on a 14 year old motor. The leak is minor though, so it could be used in a dire emergency by placing the pump on a baking tray or similar.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Hasn't everyone? 

IMG_20170710_090521491.jpg

No I dont think they do. I learnt the hard way a couple of years ago after damaging my first prop ever I didnt have a spare onboard and had to pee around to get one when I neded it. I have kept the old one now as a spare and this has all just reminded me I need to send it off to get it mended so I will :)