Unusual sightings

Timx

Featured Posts

Took this pic at Staines a couple of days ago, I believe Betty was on the Scottish canals this week and has asked Phil to take her on a jolly on their boat, so must be heading her way.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How much .? If she is selling it

Met them coming downstream through Shiplake bridge the day after Henley.  They had been for a bit of an "explore".

The observant among you will note the flag being raised at the pointy end, clearly in salute to our Hudson.

WP_20170703_14_19_24_Pro.jpg

Edited by Boredrider
trying to get the picture to show!

1 hour ago, Boredrider said:

Met them coming downstream through Shiplake bridge the day after Henley.  They had been for a bit of an "explore".

The observant among you will note the flag being raised at the pointy end, clearly in salute to our Hudson.

WP_20170703_14_19_24_Pro.jpg

looks more like Sonning to me.

I wonder why he was up at Sonning in the first place. 

Do you think he grabbed the opportunity to take his girlfriend out for a quick cruise to impress her, while Betty was away in Scotland?

Or maybe it was out for blacking at K&K marina....

On 09/07/2017 at 20:03, Murflynn said:

at Sonning bridge it is essential to allow downstream boats a clear passage; I would guess he had no choice but to pass starboard to starboard.

Are you sure about that? I don't think there is any current under the bridge as it is the start of the lock cut. You can see the weir stream joining from the right in the photo.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you sure about that? I don't think there is any current under the bridge as it is the start of the lock cut. You can see the weir stream joining from the right in the photo.

2 Part Weir ,a good deal of Water does flow through the Bridge

On 09/07/2017 at 21:24, cereal tiller said:

2 Part Weir ,a good deal of Water does flow through the Bridge

A careful look at the weir on googlemaps suggests otherwise...

A 2 part weir yes, but part 2 passes no water except in flood.

5 hours ago, Boredrider said:

Seems to me the flag geezer is clearly looking at The Springer behind you.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

it's more about the approach angle which then determines your departure angle.   Having followed a Salter's steamer under the bridge going downstream and listening to the graunching on the gravel bed and the thrashing of his propeller (at a time when the water levels were not particularly low) as he passed under the bridge, I can understand why the coxswain of an invaluable vessel would be very conservative about his route.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

it's more about the approach angle which then determines your departure angle.   Having followed a Salter's steamer under the bridge going downstream and listening to the graunching on the gravel bed and the thrashing of his propeller (at a time when the water levels were not particularly low) as he passed under the bridge, I can understand why the coxswain of an invaluable vessel would be very conservative about his route.

Correct and as we ALL know there is nowt wrong with passing either side in areas dictated by such as bridge angles or indeed restrictions due to draught be it either damp stuff or air. Exiting narrow locks is a prime example.

Edited by mrsmelly

On 10/07/2017 at 09:42, mrsmelly said:

Correct and as we ALL know there is nowt wrong with passing either side in areas dictated by such as bridge angles or indeed restrictions due to draught be it either damp stuff or air. Exiting narrow locks is a prime example.

Quite. 

Someone earlier in the thread asserted the monstrosity took that line because it was travelling downstream in a strong current. It wasn't, the skipper took that line because it is a bloody awkward bridge on a bend at the end of a lock channel. 

And of course, because he had the bigger and more expensive boat :)