Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

Not too much, will have to check my paperwork for that one, I fully expect it to sell before then even if I have to drop it to £1,500 after all I have already classed the money used on the boat as a loss, I will not let it get to the point it costs money.

On 01/08/2017 at 08:56, rusty69 said:

Funny! 

I think Mr Calranthe means he has reached the point where he is applying what called by share traders a stop loss. Should a share fall instead of rising after purchasing it, most investors are not willing to hang on the the share and see it fall all the way to zero. 

Therefore at some point one has to decide to flog it should it start to fall in value, and setting a stop loss is means to decide in advance when to sell up and get out if your purchase turns out to be duff. 

Mr Calranthe has reached this point with the boat and should not be chastised for a perfectly rational decision. One the hit has been limited and taken, the share trader tries to learn and understand how he made such a bad decision, so some value can be found in his or her loss. Mr Calranthe is doing the same in learning and benefiting from his experience with Kathleen.

Next time around I bet it will all happen very differently as a result of this 'learning experience'. 

• Greenie 2

37 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Funny! 

I don't think the OP has a sense of humour or actually understands it, quite funny really.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think Mr Calranthe means he has reached the point where he is applying what called by share traders a stop loss. Should a share fall instead of rising after purchasing it, most investors are not willing to hang on the the share and see it fall all the way to zero. 

Therefore at some point one has to decide to flog it should it start to fall in value, and setting a stop loss is means to decide in advance when to sell up and get out if your purchase turns out to be duff. 

Mr Calranthe has reached this point with the boat and should not be chastised for a perfectly rational decision. One the hit has been limited and taken, the share trader tries to learn and understand how he made such a bad decision, so some value can be found in his or her loss. Mr Calranthe is doing the same in learning and benefiting from his experience with Kathleen.

Next time around I bet it will all happen very differently as a result of this 'learning experience'. 

He should of followed your advice and returned it unfit for purpose back to the broker at Sawley.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Although there is some similarity between holding a share that is dropping below the purchase value and a boat. Holding the share in terms of on going fees will likely cost less than a boat.

Having said that, Mr Calranthe has clearly written off his bad "investment", so will presumably give the boat away rather than pay any more to keep it. 

My comment, of course, was meant in jest, no offence intended. Most of my posts, as you probably realise are "a bit sarcastic" 

Edited by rusty69

On 01/08/2017 at 09:34, PD1964 said:

He should of followed your advice and returned it unfit for purpose back to the broker at Sawley.

Now why is that?

The level at which to fix a stop loss will be different for every person, varying with their attitude to risk, the degree to which they can afford a hit, what else they could be doing with the money, and a load of other factors. 

You I suggest, are trying to attribute your own personal attitude to risk etc to Mr Calranthe with this comment. His attitude to the risk/benefit equation is very different from yours but no less valid. He got a LOT of (negative) boat-owning experience in a very short space of time and has learned massively form it. Experience and lessons he would otherwise not have had. 

Edit to improve clarity.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

Mike you gave some good advice and I did make sure the engine was working, the engine itself is in what I would class good condition, it did not fail at all, the leg was just something we had had no trouble with, I  did plan on servicing it once we got to Aston, just wanted to get it home, I still see this all as a positive learning experience, not the kind of person to do the same issue twice. I will probably have new and interesting issues which will continue to amuse certain people.

I do have a sense of humor but it is very dark.

On 01/08/2017 at 09:53, Calranthe said:

Mike you gave some good advice and I did make sure the engine was working, the engine itself is in what I would class good condition, it did not fail at all, the leg was just something we had had no trouble with, I  did plan on servicing it once we got to Aston, just wanted to get it home, I still see this all as a positive learning experience, not the kind of person to do the same issue twice. I will probably have new and interesting issues which will continue to amuse certain people.

I do have a sense of humor but it is very dark.

Well my advice to return the boat for a refund only turns out to have been good advice in retrospect and in the light of subsequent events. Had you done as I suggested you might still today have never had a boat, missed out on some valuable boating experience in your own boat, and still be wishing you hadn't returned Kathleen.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now why is that?

The level at which to fix a stop loss will be different for every person, varying with their attitude to risk, the degree to which they can afford a hit, what else they could be doing with the money, and a load of other factors. 

You I suggest, are trying to attribute your own personal attitude to risk etc to Mr Calranthe with this comment. His attitude to the risk/benefit equation is very different from yours but no less valid. He got a LOT of (negative) boat-owning experience in a very short space of time and has learned massively form it. Experience and lessons he would otherwise not have had. 

Edit to improve clarity.

Sorry you didn't say unfit for purpose you said:

"If the broker can't sort it out for you immediately I'd be asking for my money back as the boat is not suitable for its intended use. They will have mechanics available at a moment's notice, whatever they tell you. I bet if you were buying a £50k boat and said you wanted it serviced first, it would be done in a flash"

I'm sure your advise then was better then what your talking about now with regards to share traders stop losses.

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well my advice to return the boat for a refund only turns out to have been good advice in retrospect and in the light of subsequent events. Had you done as I suggested you might still today have never had a boat, missed out on some valuable boating experience in your own boat, and still be wishing you hadn't returned Kathleen.

And wouldn't have learned that the style of boat was unsuitable for Paola's needs. All valuable experience.

35 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

And wouldn't have learned that the style of boat was unsuitable for Paola's needs. All valuable experience.

And wouldn't of wasted a lot of money.

I think anyone could of told him from day one that a 20ft cruiser would be unsuitable, especially with the lack of facilities on board, he would of been better off returning the boat as soon as the first problem developed and started saving for a small cruiser stern narrowboat.

He could of hired a small boat for the weekend to see it it would be suitable for their needs, which would of given him more time on the canals then he has had with his boat and still have the money in the bank to purchase a suitable boat.

Edited by PD1964

27 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

And wouldn't of wasted a lot of money.

I think anyone could of told him from day one that a 20ft cruiser would be unsuitable, especially with the lack of facilities on board, he would of been better off returning the boat as soon as the first problem developed and started saving for a small cruiser stern narrowboat.

He could of hired a small boat for the weekend to see it it would be suitable for their needs, which would of given him more time on the canals then he has had with his boat and still have the money in the bank to purchase a suitable boat.

You perhaps have not read the OP's other posts. They do not want a narrowboat :banghead:

I am intrigued as to what facilities a small narrowboat will have that a small cruiser does not?

I do not in any way regret Kathleen (oh that is the post they were referring to Mike) I think Mike and others understand this was a positive experience for both myself and wife that we would not put a money figure on, it is still a GRP boat for us and yes a diesel (even though it is curious nearly all the GRP boats we saw going up the TMC were outboard petrol including a nice 27ft Norman.)

Some understand some will not I have learnt that.

Here is our shopping list for the next boat.

A good solid table (that is not the main bed)

A main bed in a cabin or at least setup at all times (not a corner bed you have to slide on/under)

Diesel Engine preferably 2 but with good economy perkins or volvo with good service history.

Preferable shaft driven 

Displacement hull

Heating

Shower

A boat that can handle rivers and grow towards coastal.

Either a way for Paola to get on and off the boat easy (side door or transom or low level back) or a superstructure that can be modified without too many issues.

Solo mooring friendly as in easy access for pilot to the outside, hopefully Paola will be up to taking over but if not I need to be able to get out of the cabin easily to rope us up, Kathleen was great for this.

Apart from a few brain burps where I didn't notice a boat was petrol when looking got a bit of tunnel vision :) the search is going well.

This time we are focused on Paola's appointments gives us time to look into it all even if it means waiting till the tail end of the year and for use next spring.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

I do not in any way regret Kathleen (oh that is the post they were referring to Mike) I think Mike and others understand this was a positive experience for both myself and wife that we would not put a money figure on, it is still a GRP boat for us and yes a diesel (even though it is curious nearly all the GRP boats we saw going up the TMC were outboard petrol including a nice 27ft Norman.)

A main bed in a cabin or at least setup at all times (not a corner bed you have to slide on/under)

Diesel Engine preferably 2 but with good economy perkins or volvo with good service history.

Preferable shaft driven 

Displacement hull

Heating

Shower

Either a way for Paola to get on and off the boat easy (side door or transom or low level back) or a superstructure that can be modified without too many issues.

Solo mooring friendly as in easy access for pilot to the outside, hopefully Paola will be up to taking over but if not I need to be able to get out of the cabin easily to rope us up, Kathleen was great for this.

Apart from a few brain burps where I didn't notice a boat was petrol when looking got a bit of tunnel vision :) the search is going well.

This time we are focused on Paola's appointments gives us time to look into it all even if it means waiting till the tail end of the year and for use next spring.

And what is your budget for this one?

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

And what is your budget for this one?

And what business is that of yours?

26 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Preferable shaft driven 

Displacement hull

Heating

Shower

Hopefully you'll find the right boat, at the right time for both you and Paola.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I would say it has to be much more then the £3500 he has just wasted on the other boat or if he stays in the £3500ish region he won't get much

Are you always this grumpy? :)

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I would say it has to be much more then the £3500 he has just wasted on the other boat or if he stays in the £3500ish region he won't get much

It's still none of your business. As far as Calranthe is concerned(and I agree with him), the money wasn't wasted. Your opinion might differ, but it's not your money.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

and started saving for a small cruiser stern narrowboat.

I'm convinced that either you skim-read this thread, or you haven't read it all. As Alan de Enfield stated above, in post 71, access to a narrowboat is likely to be a real issue for Calranthe's wife, Paola. Most of them have ladder-like access down 4 or 5 rungs, often at both ends.

Edited by MaggieMay
missing letter

45 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

It's still none of your business. As far as Calranthe is concerned(and I agree with him), the money wasn't wasted. Your opinion might differ, but it's not your money.

Of course it was wasted money, what planet are you on? To normal logical people it was a total waste of money. Sorry to say.

22 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

More room.

Toilet, easier access that could be adapted to suit their needs, larger stern to board.....

• Angry 1

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Are you always this grumpy? :)

Lol, I just can't see how people can't get their heads around the waste of money this has been, in my opinion this is the perfect example of how not to buy a boat. All they have to show for it is a broken boat. It must just be me looking at it normally and not through rose tinted glasses

• Angry 1

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Of course it was wasted money, what planet are you on? To normal logical people it was a total waste of money. Sorry to say.

I'm on the planet where learning is important, where gaining experience is important, where having a go at making your dream come true is important and having some happy memories to look back on is important, especially where Paola and Calranthe are concerned. That's one thing we learnt when my husband had a stroke last year - health is far important than money.

Just now, PD1964 said:

Lol, I just can't see how people can't get their heads around the waste of money this has been, in my opinion this is the perfect example of how not to buy a boat. All they have to show for it is a broken boat. It must just be me looking at it normally and not through rose tinted glasses

No, what they have to show for it is happy memories, and the fact they now know they can make their dream come true. One day. Money comes and goes, memories stay and can help you through tough times.

Being in a similar situation to the OP, except my wife is a full time wheelchair user. We bought plastic 18.5 foot, but petrol engined. 3 year's in and not regretting it yet. I'm sure a lot of folk would have advised me how stupid we were 

• Greenie 1