Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

They also do a 275 version as well thank you for this :)

But neither the 215, 255 or the 275 meet the criteria of having a 'permanent' made up bed - the 255/275 do have one 'of sorts' but it is a coffin bed (that you have to slide in and out of with no head room) under the cockpit floor. Not ideal for anyone with mobility issues.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Mike Hurley said:

Have you looked at a Viking 32, twin cabins, permanent bed and shower, heating, has everything you need, narrowbeam as well.

The spec we were working too was for an estuary/coastal cruising boat.

Has that now changed?

48 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

We are edging towards canal river estuary to start with some of them could even do coastal, the 255 275 both have a permanent bed not an ideal type but it is there.

Yes - it is there, but from experience of having a boat with that type of berth, I would suggest that you view before considering it.

It is a small 'hole' that you have to slide into (slither in like a snake), If it what I think it is, you cannot even sit up to dress/undress. I would not have thought it was suitable for someone with mobility issues, but you know Paola's capabilities better than anyone else.

Is a vee berth not suitable as a bed for Paola even if it is just for rest time during the day ? It takes two minutes to put in the insert and plonk the cushion on top..when we stay on our 23 if its just the two of us we mostly use the dinette berth as the wife finds it easier to get in and out of it , again its a two minute job to drop the table and rearrange the cushions.

15 hours ago, jocave said:

Is a vee berth not suitable as a bed for Paola even if it is just for rest time during the day ? It takes two minutes to put in the insert and plonk the cushion on top..when we stay on our 23 if its just the two of us we mostly use the dinette berth as the wife finds it easier to get in and out of it , again its a two minute job to drop the table and rearrange the cushions.

But it is a two second job to get into a permanent berth.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - it is there, but from experience of having a boat with that type of berth, I would suggest that you view before considering it.

It is a small 'hole' that you have to slide into (slither in like a snake), If it what I think it is, you cannot even sit up to dress/undress. I would not have thought it was suitable for someone with mobility issues, but you know Paola's capabilities better than anyone else.

Yes. We call our permanent berth the coffin.

It is perfectly comfortable and cosy and we get a great nights sleep in there. But we have to get in through a "hole". Once in there the bed is huge. It runs the full width of the boat , 8'2" and is slightly wider than a standard double. But , there is always a but, you can only sit up in it. The headroom is made up by the moulding of the helm seats. Not all boats have this sitting headroom. 

You can get some boats that have a cabin door to the midships berth. If you forego canal cruising and based around the Trent for example as you initially suggested something like this would give a better bedroom.

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1466069/

okay well looks like we are adding something else to the mix, we had a nice walk down the TMC today about 4 miles (me pushing the wheelchair) and a lot of NB were moored up around Stoke,  we had a look at a lot, actually it was Paola's idea and we noticed that a lot not only had the easiest access possible onto the boat via where the steering is (as in walking on)  but also some had really nice steps/rails to get in and out, so it looks like NB are also still  in the picture because we know with experience they can do canal/river even tidal, and the room inside can be amazing.

Edited by Calranthe

On 1 August 2017 at 13:02, Naughty Cal said:

You perhaps have not read the OP's other posts. They do not want a narrowboat :banghead:

I am intrigued as to what facilities a small narrowboat will have that a small cruiser does not?

LOL "Back to square one" take a deep breath and start all over again. You might as well start a new thread with all your questions on Narrowboats. So funny.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 3

If you want to look at many different narrowboats, to see what works and does not work for Paola, I would suggest a trip to Whilton Marina, where they have more than any other broker I know of. They also allow unaccompanied visits, by giving you the keys to three boats at a time.

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk

However, read up on people's experiences of buying from there on CWDF, some people have had good and some bad buying experiences from there.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

11 hours ago, Calranthe said:

okay well looks like we are adding something else to the mix, we had a nice walk down the TMC today about 4 miles (me pushing the wheelchair) and a lot of NB were moored up around Stoke,  we had a look at a lot, actually it was Paola's idea and we noticed that a lot not only had the easiest access possible onto the boat via where the steering is (as in walking on)  but also some had really nice steps/rails to get in and out, so it looks like NB are also still  in the picture because we know with experience they can do canal/river even tidal, and the room inside can be amazing.

Although cruiser sterns are easier to get onto from the bank, you still have to get down into the cabin  and the steps are seldom "disabled friendly" ie they tend to be steep and don't have a hand rail. However, if you find one with wide not too steep steps with a handrail, a narrow boat might be the answer.

Good luck with your research!

haggis

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

Although cruiser sterns are easier to get onto from the bank, you still have to get down into the cabin  and the steps are seldom "disabled friendly" ie they tend to be steep and don't have a hand rail. However, if you find one with wide not too steep steps with a handrail, a narrow boat might be the answer.

Good luck with your research!

haggis

Building on this, some narrowboats can have a wheelchair lift fitted in place of the rear steps. Stoke on Trent Boat Building Co. have experience of fitting them into narrowboats. 

I took a disabled friend on holiday a couple of years ago. We hired the Shropshire Lass 2 from the Lyneal Trust,  even though it was a 70 foot boat for just 3 of us! 

https://www.lyneal-trust.org.uk/about-the-lass/

It is fitted with a wheelchair lift, and is relatively cheap to hire. Maybe try before you buy? 

Edited by cuthound

11 hours ago, PD1964 said:

LOL "Back to square one" take a deep breath and start all over again. You might as well start a new thread with all your questions on Narrowboats. So funny.

And I wish you would actually take the time to read the thread if you are going to comment, we have not said no to anything, we have just opened up further options, "added to the mix" I should not really have to explain what that actually means, feel free not to visit the thread as all you seem to bring is negativity and snide comments, We have just opened up our options even more which allows different people from different experiences NB, Cruisers to all give input, no where did I say we were not still looking into GRP, all I said was we are adding another option.

Each type has positives and negatives, strengths and weakness and it is further complicated because each type has subsets like GRP which have a really nice boarding platform or NB with custom wide steps and access, we are still months away from buying, as most understand this is about opening up the floor to other ideas and possibilities from experienced people, which may lead us down another path, good thing is now we have at least a couple of people from this forum who have a lot of experience in different types of boats willing to come and look/check over any boat we decide on whether GRP Cruiser or NB which is a great positive.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I give in.

Until the OP narrows down what they actually want there is no point offering any advice at all!

As it stands now any boat under £40k is in the running.

Now this reply I do not understand.

40k is a big investment in a boat (actually with a narrow boat we would be willing to go the hole hog sell the house and spend up to £140,000 (we own our house outright) (leaving a nice amount to live comfortably).

40k would be the maximum for a boat we would use for adventures/holidays/time away from home £140k would be the amount for a home replacement. 

Now while we really do love GRP I have not seen a viable (for different reasons) 100% home replacement, those big enough to be home replacements are bigger than I would like to take on a canal, home replacement needs to be able to use canal's because that way on the TMC we can be close to our Doctors/hospital/friends/family, Remember we have walked the 8 miles of TMC around Stoke on Trent we know all the ways off and on the canal and those 8 miles are full wheelchair access, from the canal we are 10 minutes from our Dentist/Doctor and the hospital (did a lot of scouting).

We also have the money to afford all year round mooring at festival park marina or another NB one within stoke on trent. (the closest viable mooring for a GRP is Aston)

We have a home address next door to our own (Mum) also the canal runs 70ft from our house.

We already live a minimalist lifestyle.

We had discounted this option due to our knowledge of NB and the access problems but we adapt and learn yesterday's walk along the canal gave us a fresh perspective and options, as some one has mentioned we could have the steps taken out and a small hydraulic lift put in, in the scheme of things that cost is not great.

10 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Now this reply I do not understand.

40k is a big investment in a boat (actually with a narrow boat we would be willing to go the hole hog sell the house and spend up to £140,000 (we own our house outright) (leaving a nice amount to live comfortably).

40k would be the maximum for a boat we would use for adventures/holidays/time away from home £140k would be the amount for a home replacement. 

Now while we really do love GRP I have not seen a viable (for different reasons) 100% home replacement, those big enough to be home replacements are bigger than I would like to take on a canal, home replacement needs to be able to use canal's because that way on the TMC we can be close to our Doctors/hospital/friends/family, Remember we have walked the 8 miles of TMC around Stoke on Trent we know all the ways off and on the canal and those 8 miles are full wheelchair access, from the canal we are 10 minutes from our Dentist/Doctor and the hospital (did a lot of scouting).

We also have the money to afford all year round mooring at festival park marina or another NB one within stoke on trent. (the closest viable mooring for a GRP is Aston)

We have a home address next door to our own (Mum) also the canal runs 70ft from our house.

We already live a minimalist lifestyle.

We had discounted this option due to our knowledge of NB and the access problems but we adapt and learn yesterday's walk along the canal gave us a fresh perspective and options, as some one has mentioned we could have the steps taken out and a small hydraulic lift put in, in the scheme of things that cost is not great.

You swing so wildly from one "ideal" boat to the next that it is pretty clear that you don't have a bloody clue what you want.

Until you know this then there is no point offering you any advice on probable candidates. 

You need to look around  lots of boats of all kinds and severely cut down your wish list.

EtA: as we now have a bigger budget.

https://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Sealine-F37-FOR-SALE-6330108.html

Edited by Naughty Cal

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You swing so wildly from one "ideal" boat to the next that it is pretty clear that you don't have a bloody clue what you want.

Until you know this then there is no point offering you any advice on probable candidates. 

You need to look around  lots of boats of all kinds and severely cut down your wish list.

We are not wildly swinging from side to side, we just spent time considering our options.

GRP boats are still in the mix, if we go that way 40k is the maximum as I explained, we have just opening up our options.

See we have very specific requirements so having as wide a pool of options as possible is a good thing.

We are visiting a Marina with a member from here at the end of september to look at 30-40ft GRP cruisers

We are visiting a NB owner on here in september and going out on a day cruise.

We have researched both Diesel and Petrol and can see no viable reason to discount petrol based on our needs.

This is all a learning experience.

Ok so to summarise you have very specific requirements with regards to your boat and are not sure if you want GRP or a narrowboat. Perhaps if you go the whole hog and sell your house you could contemplate having a boat built to your specific needs ? I have seen quite a few boats like this including community boats that are specially adapted. If you could have a trip on one of these you could see if the possible adaptations would work for you.There is a boat on our marina which has adapted access and thing like lowered saloon windows so you can see out better from inside. Or perhaps this post just adds to the confusion !

Tizzy