Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

The North sea is where they rescued Sinbad the kitten from a bit of floating wreckage, which they revived with warm milk.

They revived some wreckage with warm milk? Did it turn into a yacht?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Dccruiser had a look at Kathleen on Saturday and we had a good chat on the phone, then I talked to family.

The problems/faults, the leg is stuck solidly, now as DC said to me there is only a couple of things that can do that, from what understand it can be part of the connections jamming up or linkage, it could even have been my fault as a new pilot, shifting straight from forward to reverse and not resting at neutral in between can cause this kind of leg to have issues, both are solvable, he even rang around and found an entire working leg to replace it with for £300 and would have only wanted beer money for him to source a trailer get it out on the trailer and switch the leg.

Second issue is there is a lot of smoke coming out of the engine, he thinks it is a fuel to gas problem one of the injectors is not doing its job not expensive.

Feel free to ask Dccruiser on this, not hiding anything.

Thank you Dccruiser I owe you for this and I know if situations were different I would be down there and we could get this solved with a little cash probably £500 max and a few days work.

Unfortunately I am not in a situation where that is possible, Paola needs my full focus at the moment and I could not leave even for 30 minutes at the moment (sawley is 40 minutes away).

On Monday I will be instructing the broker to drop the price to £1,500 already discussed too many times why we are okay with the loss so please do not comment on that.

Hull is still in good condition, electrics are new as is the batteries, no leakage and the interior is in good condition from what we could tell we spent a night in big storms and it was solid and not too bad at keeping heat, we cooked 3 meals on the cooker (people are right that model cooker is awesome).

If some one wants a bargain and at £1,500 it is one then go for it, feel free to talk to Peter or Dccruiser (although please do not both them needlessly) on there opinion.

The main decision point for us is even if we fixed the issues on Kathleen she is still too small for us, yes we could in theory make our money back but it was never about that, Paola needs a bed she can rest on that does not need making up, if it was a few feet bigger and had a bed then I would work on her with the help of some amazing people I have met here.

Now I am going to catch some flak for this but here goes, I am actually considering a petrol outboard or dual petrol outboard boat.

Before you all start gnashing your teeth let me explain why.

During our short time on the canal we saw at least 12 GRP boats ranging from 20ft to 30ft, Norman's Vikings and others and all of them were using petrol outboards. not one diesel went past us.

I have checked and these days there is actually not many places you can not get petrol, worst case scenario dock up at a bridge and take a jerry can to the local station.

No big engine taking up space on the boat,

Replacing an outboard is a lot easier than replacing or working on a Diesel especially on some of these boats that have confined spaces.

In the future diesel is going to be frowned on more and more.

Issues

Blowing up, well as long as you have ventilation and a proper fan system you should be fine

Charging batteries, you can do it just extra equipment.

Sounds like a plan to me, been more than happy with our outboard powered Viking, its nice to cruise around in near silence, a tank of fuel lasts me two or three days and its easy enough to get to a petrol station for me not that I have ever needed to, just go for it