Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I'm on the planet where learning is important, where gaining experience is important, where having a go at making your dream come true is important and having some happy memories to look back on is important, especially where Paola and Calranthe are concerned. That's one thing we learnt when my husband had a stroke last year - health is far important than money.

No, what they have to show for it is happy memories, and the fact they now know they can make their dream come true. One day. Money comes and goes, memories stay and can help you through tough times.

Sorry but I think your a dreamer, life is not always like that.

2 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Being in a similar situation to the OP, except my wife is a full time wheelchair user. We bought plastic 18.5 foot, but petrol engined. 3 year's in and not regretting it yet. I'm sure a lot of folk would have advised me how stupid we were 

Good on you, yes it can be done, you bought a boat that was working and are still enjoying it 3 years on, the OP just bought the wrong boat that has turned into a white elephant. Enjoy the waterways.

• Unimpressed 2

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Sorry but I think your a dreamer, life is not always like that.

I'm a realist. Life is not about money. Anyway is it your money that he's spent on this boat? No. It's his, and he has a right to do what he wants with it - and what he does with it is absolutely none of your business.

• Greenie 4

24 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Good on you, yes it can be done, you bought a boat that was working and are still enjoying it 3 years on, the OP just bought the wrong boat that has turned into a white elephant. Enjoy the waterways.

Probably the most sensible post you have made.

Yes the OP may have bought a white elephant but he has learnt a LOT and decided to cut his losses. His money, his loss not yours so why keep on about it?

• Greenie 2

It is all good I have decided to stop replying to PD s nothing I say will change his closed narrow view of the world I actually pity the world view he has, budget has been revealed to only one person who has a lot of experience in all of this but if anyone has suggestions of boats that fit the bill or they know of boat makes that take to modification well then please add input as it I have a lot of boats to research.

When I took on Kathleen one of the biggest things was my eagerness, my need to get on the water, I wanted it so bad now that is out of my system I can take it slow and easy methodical, take my time, no regrets with Kathleen just experience learned. 

We are more than happy with our Viking, it was one of the lowest easy to board boats that we looked at , a small plastic step makes it easier for the wife to get on and off, there is plenty of room in the cockpit for her wheelchair, enough room in the shower for her, I do have to stoop a little as head room is less than six foot, its toasty warm with the eberspacher and the gas heater is great for on demand hot water only thing that may not work for you is the petrol outboard but for us on the Lancaster its easier to get petrol than it is diesel plus its nice to cruise around in near silence, best thing we have ever done we are on it every chance we get ...

43 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

It is all good I have decided to stop replying to PD s nothing I say will change his closed narrow view of the world I actually pity the world view he has, budget has been revealed to only one person who has a lot of experience in all of this but if anyone has suggestions of boats that fit the bill or they know of boat makes that take to modification well then please add input as it I have a lot of boats to research.

When I took on Kathleen one of the biggest things was my eagerness, my need to get on the water, I wanted it so bad now that is out of my system I can take it slow and easy methodical, take my time, no regrets with Kathleen just experience learned. 

Please don't pity me, I should pity you and your efforts, I'm on the canals with a good boat living in the real world, So please pity yourself and not me, Thanks

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 2

46 minutes ago, jocave said:

We are more than happy with our Viking, it was one of the lowest easy to board boats that we looked at , a small plastic step makes it easier for the wife to get on and off, there is plenty of room in the cockpit for her wheelchair, enough room in the shower for her, I do have to stoop a little as head room is less than six foot, its toasty warm with the eberspacher and the gas heater is great for on demand hot water only thing that may not work for you is the petrol outboard but for us on the Lancaster its easier to get petrol than it is diesel plus its nice to cruise around in near silence, best thing we have ever done we are on it every chance we get ...

Viking are the make that took over the molds used for kathleen, we are keeping our eye out for a good viking but they sell really fast especially the bigger ones. Really happy that it worked out for you :)

54 minutes ago, jocave said:

Lancaster's run on petrol, a lot of it though. :)

4 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Viking are the make that took over the molds used for kathleen, we are keeping our eye out for a good viking but they sell really fast especially the bigger ones. Really happy that it worked out for you :)

Yep certainly got the bug, the Viking will do us for a year or two, only slight downside is the narrow beam ,no real need for anything so narrow where we are moored ,its fine for the two of us but when we have friends and family on board it quickly becomes a hassle, only problem is finding something with a wider beam that has all the things we need , would love a Freeman or a Seamaster but not seen one with a shower so far, apart from one but that had a disease all ,sorry a diesel engine which is a no no for us..

8 hours ago, jocave said:

Yep certainly got the bug, the Viking will do us for a year or two, only slight downside is the narrow beam ,no real need for anything so narrow where we are moored ,its fine for the two of us but when we have friends and family on board it quickly becomes a hassle, only problem is finding something with a wider beam that has all the things we need , would love a Freeman or a Seamaster but not seen one with a shower so far, apart from one but that had a disease all ,sorry a diesel engine which is a no no for us..

http://www.vikingcruisers.com/ 

I think they do wide beam versions and even river versions of the one you have now, once you have the model type you can keep an eye out for second hand versions.

6 hours ago, Calranthe said:

http://www.vikingcruisers.com/ 

I think they do wide beam versions and even river versions of the one you have now, once you have the model type you can keep an eye out for second hand versions.

We have a bit if a soft spot for the Vikings.

We were on our way (literally) to place an order for a brand new Viking 20 when we stumbled across a used boat show and called in to look at a Shetland 4+2 they had for sale. 

Ended up buying Naughty-Cal instead. :rolleyes:

Not a week later we got a call from the place we were heading to place our order on the Viking and they offered us a cancelled order for a bargain price of £12k.

23 hours ago, DaveandDebby said:

I'm a realist. Life is not about money. Anyway is it your money that he's spent on this boat? No. It's his, and he has a right to do what he wants with it - and what he does with it is absolutely none of your business.

You are so right but I am afraid you are in a tiny minority. Most people think money is the b all and end all of life and only make a move job wise or lifestyle wise if they get more money out of it. I completely agree with you but you only have to see how many people count success in monetary terms above all else. Its sad but true.

• Greenie 1

On 7/31/2017 at 13:51, Dave Payne said:

Saw this yesterday, not idea how much cash you for the next one but though it might interest you.

for what its worth i went to see this this week, bit of a project boat to be honest nice people selling it just 11 years of not much being done i think , all for 15750 but they would take offers.

needed some wood on the rubbing steaks on the outside, a bit of tlc inside the roof vent things are leaking quite badly, the stove has a crack in it, the bilge is full of oil, and the rear pram hood and screens are all rather tired, plus it needs a paint and im not sure if its been out the water in a long time. 

Edited by bramley

2 hours ago, bramley said:

for what its worth i went to see this this week, bit of a project boat to be honest nice people selling it just 11 years of not much being done i think , all for 15750 but they would take offers.

needed some wood on the rubbing steaks on the outside, a bit of tlc inside the roof vent things are leaking quite badly, the stove has a crack in it, the bilge is full of oil, and the rear pram hood and screens are all rather tired, plus it needs a paint and im not sure if its been out the water in a long time. 

There is one of these for sale on the forum for a far more sensible price.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

There is one of these for sale on the forum for a far more sensible price.

sorry i cant see this, what is it 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

It also under offer. 

yeah it wasnt this morning 

Thank you for the suggestions.

It is really nice how much this community looks out for each other.

I guess it does no harm to put the budget out there.

General goal a river/coastal cruiser displacement hull, diesel twin engine, shaft drive, 6-10 knots cruising, economical, real bedroom, aft pilot (fly bridge not needed as Paola would never be able to get up on there)

GRP preferred 28-38ft, heating and insulation, clear outside access for Pilot (yes Paola wants to learn how to pilot but worst case scenario I need to be able to moor up solo kathleen was very good for that).

Good storage, shower and toilet facilities including both sea and river ability, good cooking facilities and fridge, a real bed, good quality large table.

Age does not matter as long as it is in good condition.

Ability for an infirm person to get on and off (Broom, Sealine and others have different ways of handling this, some have low back ends others doors in the Transom or in the case of the Broom 33 some of them have a side door with a hatch, Paola can walk hand holds and good quality railings help a lot)

Maximum allocated (and by that I mean absolute maximum) buying amount £40,000 with a £5,000 fund plus monthly budget for boat normal stuff £1,000. it should be obvious that if we pay even close to the maximum it will have to be really special, much more likely to spend 15-30 and the rest on modifications, service and turning it into a home away from home.

We are in no rush as time at the moment is taken up with hospital appointments and Doctors visits, even if it takes us a year or more to find the right one.

2 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Thank you for the suggestions.

It is really nice how much this community looks out for each other.

I guess it does no harm to put the budget out there.

General goal a river/coastal cruiser displacement hull, diesel twin engine, shaft drive, 6-10 knots cruising, economical, real bedroom, aft pilot (fly bridge not needed as Paola would never be able to get up on there)

GRP preferred 28-38ft, heating and insulation, clear outside access for Pilot (yes Paola wants to learn how to pilot but worst case scenario I need to be able to moor up solo kathleen was very good for that).

Good storage, shower and toilet facilities including both sea and river ability, good cooking facilities and fridge, a real bed, good quality large table.

Age does not matter as long as it is in good condition.

Ability for an infirm person to get on and off (Broom, Sealine and others have different ways of handling this, some have low back ends others doors in the Transom or in the case of the Broom 33 some of them have a side door with a hatch, Paola can walk hand holds and good quality railings help a lot)

Maximum allocated (and by that I mean absolute maximum) buying amount £40,000 with a £5,000 fund plus monthly budget for boat normal stuff £1,000. it should be obvious that if we pay even close to the maximum it will have to be really special, much more likely to spend 15-30 and the rest on modifications, service and turning it into a home away from home.

We are in no rush as time at the moment is taken up with hospital appointments and Doctors visits, even if it takes us a year or more to find the right one.

I'm not sure that boat exists