Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

£4000 is a lot of money so don't dare tell anyone that boating is not for them after your fiasco, especially when they have a boat.

£4000 is not a lot of money in the 'real boating world'.

Some years ago I purchased a boat, having had a survey and an "A1" report, it subsequently cost me £25,000 to get it 'usable' and following a legal challenge that failed due to 'the small print on the survey' I sold it 12 months later and lost another £45,000 (total cost / loss = £70,000)

Out of the last 18 boats I have owned that is the only one I have lost money on - I have never had a survey since and would rather underwrite my own losses, than make some 'excuse for a surveyor' even more wealthy.

Calranthe has determined what he is prepared to lose, he made an informed decision not to have a surveyor - you have no right to criticise his decision, you can suggest that in your 'long 8 years of experience' (try coming back when you can say you have 30+ years) you would have done it differently but his choices are down to him.

The 'muddy ditch boating' is not an expensive way of getting afloat, even if you have to 'right-off' £4000

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

£4000 is not a lot of money in the 'real boating world'.

Some years ago I purchased a boat, having had a survey and an "A1" report, it subsequently cost me £25,000 to get it 'usable' and following a legal challenge that failed due to 'the small print on the survey' I sold it 12 months later and lost another £45,000 (total cost / loss = £70,000)

Out of the last 18 boats I have owned that is the only one I have lost money on - I have never had a survey since and would rather underwrite my own losses, than make some 'excuse for a surveyor' even more wealthy.

Calranthe has determined what he is prepared to lose, he made an informed decision not to have a surveyor - you have no right to criticise his decision, you can suggest that in your 'long 8 years of experience' (try coming back when you can say you have 30+ years) you would have done it differently but his choices are down to him.

The 'muddy ditch boating' is not an expensive way of getting afloat, even if you have to 'right-off' £4000

I wonder if he would still make the same decision now?

That £500 on a survey could have saved a lot of heart ache and loss of money further down the line.

36 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I have read both threads and the best advice was given a few posts in by "Mike the Boilerman" who told them to return it to Sawley as the boat was unfit for purpose and this has been proved correct, You can go on encouraging the OP to live the dream and get the boat sorted but all he has done is wasted a lot of money.

Your now selling the boat, when you get your money which is not going to be a lot as the boat is s non runner and brokerage fee's, sit down and work it out how much you have lost, Also don't tell me boating is not for me, I have a 60ft narrowboat that I have lived on for the last 8 years and I'm out now travelling on it, £4000 is a lot of money so don't dare tell anyone that boating is not for them after your fiasco, especially when they have a boat.

Sorry if I touched a nerve, you assume a lot, you took my words out of context, I was saying if a £4000 loss or expense is too much then boating is not for you, where you see expensive I do not, let me put it into context, for the last 20 years I have watched both rich and poor people die in front of me cancer does not care how good a balance you have, who you know or where you live, doesn't matter your plans, I have seen so many amazing people, brave children and people who would have given up every penny they owned for one little piece of paper to say something different.

Actually with all the Math it comes to more like £6000 including all the items but £2,000 worth of items will be reused, plus I took out the insurance monthly and CRT license 3 monthly.

What did I get for my £4000 ?

A confirmation that we love boating, seeing my wife get on a boat, going up the Trent and on to the canal, waking at 5am to see two hares playing on the footpath, met many amazing and interesting people, lost my fear of water, gained experience on what on that boat worked and what did not, experiences that will be put into practice, learnt that while we love the look of NB for us it will have to be a GRP cruiser, loving the size of the Trent and really looking forward to exploring rivers in the future.

The instant my wife who doctors have told us time and time again has been on borrowed time for 18 years and the odds get worse every month got on that boat I could have happily burnt £4000 and not lost a wink of sleep.

Now lets look at your other "fiasco" of an accusation "Mike the boilerman" here is what he said "

Has your mechanic chap successfully tested the engine now then? If not I'd be wary of banking on your slow voyage starting on Wednesday. 

Just sayin', from personal experience of the way this sort of thing tends to pan out!"

I let him know and others that yes our engineer had tested the engine, see the thing is the enfield outdrive was working fine in the marina and even fine a mile up the Trent, it even made it another two miles up the canal and then it failed, the engine was not the problem, the outdrive failed through use, how bad that fail is we do not know.

Now one last thing, IF you had read the who thread you would know I even did the math of repairs vs just selling it off, but to be nice to you I will repeat it one more time.

Current sale price of boat £2,500 - £650+vat brokers fee but lets round it to £750 that means "if" it sells at £2500 (unlikely) we get about £1750  (remember we have already wrote of the fulll 4,000)

Now lets see how much we would get if the outdrive was fixed, well it was on the market for 3 months at £3600, reduced to £3,300 

Now the cost of fixing the Enfield drive could be over £1000 depending on a lot of factors, time out of water, engineer call out, hiring a trailer, place to keep the boat, ordered parts needed, engineer call out to fit parts.

At the end of that the maximum I can sell the boat for is £3,300  - £1000 costs of fixing it = £2300 - brokers fee £750 = total money I get back = £1,550

so ... ... ... i'll let that sink is but do not dare say I have not done the math, yes the boat will probably sell quicker but as I pointed out many posts ago which you supposedly read Time is also a factor and far more important to me and my family than a piddling little £4,000 I set aside three time slots of journey, three time lots of work on the boat, I did everything you can do as a new person, I checked oil, I did the filters, I got in an engineer, I took advice, some times it is just not meant to be.

In no way does this stop our Boating adventure, if anything it has made us even more keen, you seem to focus the worst part as being money, ironically the worst and best part was being stranded at aston lock number 3 we met and saw some amazing people and spent 24 hours away from home on a BOAT!!! :) seeing 20-30 boats pass by with all the beauty and interesting things.

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Sorry if I touched a nerve, you assume a lot, you took my words out of context, I was saying if a £4000 loss or expense is too much then boating is not for you, where you see expensive I do not, let me put it into context, for the last 20 years I have watched both rich and poor people die in front of me cancer does not care how good a balance you have, who you know or where you live, doesn't matter your plans, I have seen so many amazing people, brave children and people who would have given up every penny they owned for one little piece of paper to say something different.

Actually with all the Math it comes to more like £6000 including all the items but £2,000 worth of items will be reused, plus I took out the insurance monthly and CRT license 3 monthly.

What did I get for my £4000 ?

A confirmation that we love boating, seeing my wife get on a boat, going up the Trent and on to the canal, waking at 5am to see two hares playing on the footpath, met many amazing and interesting people, lost my fear of water, gained experience on what on that boat worked and what did not, experiences that will be put into practice, learnt that while we love the look of NB for us it will have to be a GRP cruiser, loving the size of the Trent and really looking forward to exploring rivers in the future.

The instant my wife who doctors have told us time and time again has been on borrowed time for 18 years and the odds get worse every month got on that boat I could have happily burnt £4000 and not lost a wink of sleep.

Now lets look at your other "fiasco" of an accusation "Mike the boilerman" here is what he said "

Has your mechanic chap successfully tested the engine now then? If not I'd be wary of banking on your slow voyage starting on Wednesday. 

Just sayin', from personal experience of the way this sort of thing tends to pan out!"

I let him know and others that yes our engineer had tested the engine, see the thing is the enfield outdrive was working fine in the marina and even fine a mile up the Trent, it even made it another two miles up the canal and then it failed, the engine was not the problem, the outdrive failed through use, how bad that fail is we do not know.

Now one last thing, IF you had read the who thread you would know I even did the math of repairs vs just selling it off, but to be nice to you I will repeat it one more time.

Current sale price of boat £2,500 - £650+vat brokers fee but lets round it to £750 that means "if" it sells at £2500 (unlikely) we get about £1750  (remember we have already wrote of the fulll 4,000)

Now lets see how much we would get if the outdrive was fixed, well it was on the market for 3 months at £3600, reduced to £3,300 

Now the cost of fixing the Enfield drive could be over £1000 depending on a lot of factors, time out of water, engineer call out, hiring a trailer, place to keep the boat, ordered parts needed, engineer call out to fit parts.

At the end of that the maximum I can sell the boat for is £3,300  - £1000 costs of fixing it = £2300 - brokers fee £750 = total money I get back = £1,550

so ... ... ... i'll let that sink is but do not dare say I have not done the math, yes the boat will probably sell quicker but as I pointed out many posts ago which you supposedly read Time is also a factor and far more important to me and my family than a piddling little £4,000 I set aside three time slots of journey, three time lots of work on the boat, I did everything you can do as a new person, I checked oil, I did the filters, I got in an engineer, I took advice, some times it is just not meant to be.

In no way does this stop our Boating adventure, if anything it has made us even more keen, you seem to focus the worst part as being money, ironically the worst and best part was being stranded at aston lock number 3 we met and saw some amazing people and spent 24 hours away from home on a BOAT!!! :) seeing 20-30 boats pass by with all the beauty and interesting things.

Not quite.

A survey would have picked up these problems with the boat and then you would have had the choice of either walking away, getting a further reduction on the asking price or getting the vendor to fix the problems.

£500 may sound expensive for a survey but any good surveyor will get you that money back through finding faults with the boat and in this case a £500 loss would have been a much better outcome then you currently stand to achieve. As it stands you have a pretty much unsaleable boat!

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not quite.

A survey would have picked up these problems with the boat and then you would have had the choice of either walking away, getting a further reduction on the asking price or getting the vendor to fix the problems.

£500 may sound expensive for a survey but any good surveyor will get you that money back through finding faults with the boat and in this case a £500 loss would have been a much better outcome then you currently stand to achieve. As it stands you have a pretty much unsaleable boat!

Actually you are right and on a new boat we damn well are going to have a survey :) and at the time I will be bothering people on here for recommendations about good surveyors.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I have read both threads and the best advice was given a few posts in by "Mike the Boilerman" who told them to return it to Sawley as the boat was unfit for purpose and this has been proved correct, You can go on encouraging the OP to live the dream and get the boat sorted but all he has done is wasted a lot of money.

Your now selling the boat, when you get your money which is not going to be a lot as the boat is s non runner and brokerage fee's, sit down and work it out how much you have lost, Also don't tell me boating is not for me, I have a 60ft narrowboat that I have lived on for the last 8 years and I'm out now travelling on it, £4000 is a lot of money so don't dare tell anyone that boating is not for them after your fiasco, especially when they have a boat.

Is there any need for you to be quite so unpleasant.........

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

3 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Actually you are right and on a new boat we damn well are going to have a survey :) 

However good the surveyor is he is unlikely to be unable to forecast in advance any breakdowns.

If I remember correctly - on the 1st trial at Sawley the Fuel and oil was not leaking, this happened some distance 'up the cut'.

If I remember correctly - the drive leg got you several miles up the cut, back to Sawley then back up the cut again before sticking in gear.

Having a boat surveyed 'on the hard' will not identify any mechanical (engine and gearbox) problems, and if the boat is in the water the surveyor will not be taking it for a 20 miles 'test drive'.

Don't beat yourself up - a surveyor would have made very little difference to your problems.

3 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Sorry if I touched a nerve, you assume a lot, you took my words out of context, I was saying if a £4000 loss or expense is too much then boating is not for you, 

In which case by your logic, boating is "not for" a lot of people on this forum, me included. The only asset I have is my boat, which is my home-a £4k loss or expense would cripple me.

And yet somehow, I'm in my sixth year now on a boat that was and still is cheap, and it's never really struck me as "not for me" so far. For £4k you got intangibles and experiences-great if you can afford that, but don't preach to those who either can't or simply wouldn't choose to!

For not much more than the cost of your learning experience, I got my home. Not being able to afford to piss £4k up the wall and have nothing to show for it doesn't make one "not cut out for boating," it makes them less well off than you and honestly, that's a really ignorant thing to say.

Edited by Starcoaster

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

However good the surveyor is he is unlikely to be unable to forecast in advance any breakdowns.

If I remember correctly - on the 1st trial at Sawley the Fuel and oil was not leaking, this happened some distance 'up the cut'.

If I remember correctly - the drive leg got you several miles up the cut, back to Sawley then back up the cut again before sticking in gear.

Having a boat surveyed 'on the hard' will not identify any mechanical (engine and gearbox) problems, and if the boat is in the water the surveyor will not be taking it for a 20 miles 'test drive'.

Don't beat yourself up - a surveyor would have made very little difference to your problems.

He is however able to comment on items which are showing signs of wear and are likely to fail.

He may well have noticed a notchy or difficult gear change. 

Our boat was in the water when surveyed and the surveyor did take it out and run it up with one of the yard staff before it was then slipped for him to inspect the hull and running gear.

This may well have highlighted some if the issues with Kathleen. 

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

True the Enfield leg problems never showed up on any other peoples test of the boat and only became an issue after about 10 miles of use if you include the original journey.

Now on our next boat we will definetly have a survey from some one recommended thus another lesson was learnt

17 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

In which case by your logic, boating is "not for" a lot of people on this forum, me included. The only asset I have is my boat, which is my home-a £4k loss or expense would cripple me.

And yet somehow, I'm in my sixth year now on a boat that was and still is cheap, and it's never really struck me as "not for me" so far. For £4k you got intangibles and experiences-great if you can afford that, but don't preach to those who either can't or simply wouldn't choose to!

For not much more than the cost of your learning experience, I got my home. Not being able to afford to piss £4k up the wall and have nothing to show for it doesn't make one "not cut out for boating," it makes them less well off than you and honestly, that's a really ignorant thing to say.

I never said I was rich everything I do is calculated and budgeted an acceptable loss and enough people here will  tell you it can be a boat shaped hole you pour money into.

Do not make the assumption I like wasting money, but this was an acceptable experience building cost.

A surveyor wouldn't have picked up on the faulty Enfield out drive astern gear at the time of examination because it would have been working at that time, prior to purchase. He might have recommended it was serviced though.

1 hour ago, Calranthe said:

I never said I was rich everything I do is calculated and budgeted an acceptable loss and enough people here will  tell you it can be a boat shaped hole you pour money into.

Do not make the assumption I like wasting money, but this was an acceptable experience building cost.

I'm not sure how you totally missed my point there, which was that you have no place telling anyone else that "boating is not for them" simply because they're not prepared or able to write off £4k and/or think differently to you.

I hope that is clear enough.

I made no assumption about how much money you have or how you feel about wasting money. I called you out on your comment that boating "is not for" any other person who cannot/will not do/think about boat-related things in the same way as you; particularly given how short a time you have been a boater and how that's gone for you so far.

You have been fast enough to jump on other people whose opinions you don't agree with or who you think are speaking out of turn about your own situation and ethos; then you do the exact same thing. A huge number of people here have tried to help and advise you in various ways, some which you may like more than others, and that's fine. But if you start making statements about how not viewing things like you do makes someone else less of a boater from any angle-let alone one of as little experience and knowledge as you possess-you will get called out on it, probably by those of us who are "walking the walk" despite your opinion that boating "is not for us."

29 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

I'm not sure how you totally missed my point there, which was that you have no place telling anyone else that "boating is not for them" simply because they're not prepared or able to write off £4k and/or think differently to you.

I made no assumption about how much money you have or how you feel about wasting money. I called you out on your comment that boating "is not for" any other person who cannot/will not do/think about boat-related things in the same way as you; particularly given how short a time you have been a boater and how that's gone for you so far.

You have been fast enough to jump on other people whose opinions you don't agree with or who you think are speaking out of turn about your own situation and ethos; then you do the exact same thing. A huge number of people here have tried to help and advise you in various ways, some which you may like more than others, and that's fine. But if you start making statements about how not viewing things like you do makes someone else less of a boater from any angle-let alone one of as little experience and knowledge as you possess-you will get called out on it, probably by those of us who are "walking the walk" despite your opinion that boating "is not for us."

I think you will find out I was actually defending myself when people were making assumptions  and I do stand by the fact if you can not handle a 4k loss in boating which can happen in many ways and situations on the cut then you should not be on the cut, it is no different than having an expensive car but having no funds to deal with maintenance.

2 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

and I do stand by the fact if you can not handle a 4k loss in boating which can happen in many ways and situations on the cut then you should not be on the cut, it is no different than having an expensive car but having no funds to deal with maintenance

What a load of rubbish! 

• Greenie 3

22 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

I think most boaters could ill afford to waste £4000 and those that have followed the OP's posts that have some common sense could see how it was going to end, Alan de Enfield with his 30 years experience must of seen what was coming surely? But if the OP or de Enfield can waste £4000 just like that I'm sure there's lots of "muddy ditch boaters" only too willing to take it off their hands.

3 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

I think you will find out I was actually defending myself when people were making assumptions  and I do stand by the fact if you can not handle a 4k loss in boating which can happen in many ways and situations on the cut then you should not be on the cut, it is no different than having an expensive car but having no funds to deal with maintenance.

But your not on the cut and never have been, so don't start thinking that £4000 is a normal repair bill or expense. It's not

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There appears to be a distinct shortage of 'muddy ditch boaters' willing to take it off his hands despite offering it at (I think it was) £1500.

Lol, I was on about if you had £4000 to spare/waste, not the boat, I doubt the boat will sell quickly as all the problems have been made public on here, which might not be a good thing sorry to say.

26 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Spectacularly missing the point that while licensing and mooring fees can be expensive and boats have a nasty habit of requiring emergency unbudgeted work that can cause difficulty none of that involves spending money for no material return.

I think there are a number of folk here who would happily wish you well in your boating adventure but every time you post a little voice in their head screams "FFS man, listen to what you are being told".

JP

• Greenie 3

46 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Defending yourself and attacking other people are not the same thing. And to be frank, if I am doing something that you think is wrong, I will take that as an accolade that I am doing something right.

After all, I'm still here six years on, with the same boat and without having lost £4k. I don't have an expensive car, nor a boat that I cannot maintain. 

I am thinking you might not like the canals tbh if you get further than a few hours/miles of experience, there are a shitload of people on it that you don't think should be, and I do hope you let them all know that. Some of those people might have been really helpful and useful to know, so I think it only fair that you make your views clear to them first so that they can make an informed decision as to whether or not you should be on the cut yourself....

I'm reading lots of people saying similar things but the power....or lack of power of text compared to speech, preferably over a beer,....is getting in the way.

No-one can afford to write-off £4,000 (If you can then am happy to send bank details;)) ....BUT!....you have to have a reserve budget, or know you can sell your stories to big lonely sailors (BlackAdder ref please!:lol:).

However, I read that circumstances mean that Calranthe is better walking away due to the additional value that time has for them.....you can't put a cost on time unless you are charging but 2days spent fixing the boat + charges is not worth it, even if they sell a working boat.

I agree that no-one should tell anyone not to do something depending on cost, else where would all be,....equally, we should just shrug shoulders and agree to disagree when it comes to other's money & their opinion as only they know the emotional costs of their circumstances.

Good luck to all and when we have that beer we can put the World to rights!...:cheers:

You are a great community, thanks all.

...and best wishes to Calranthe who has probably faced a lot of worse issues, cost or otherwise.

• Greenie 1

A lot of people are taking my words out of context but that's okay.

No one but I can decide if what I did was a waste of money.

If I say that my 4,000 was acceptable loss and a calculated learning experience then it was, if I did all my due diligence then I did am I perfect no but when people accuse me of falsehoods  then I will point out that one persons expensive is another persons acceptable loss, one persons you didn't check enough or follow our advice to the letter is live and learn, I still stand by my idea that you should have a good emergency fund and be able to handle bad things (bad things meaning loss of that budget for no practical gain) it happens, It was never meant to be a personal attack which some took it as.

I am happy I learnt this all only started again because  some one jumped into the thread with a very nasty post that was completely uncalled for.

BTW those taking shots at  Kathleen remember this I never said she was a bad boat, I always said she has a good hull, good wiring, lasts through rain storms, the engine has a new fuel pipe new washers and reconditioned fuel pump, she may need a little tlc also but if I felt she was big enough for me Paola and a wheelchair then I would drop some money over winter but we have other plans in place now.

What needs work is the leg and unfortunately beyond money it is the time we do not have.  

Well whoever buys her next won't need a survey as all the problems are highlighted on here for all to see, just wonder if the broker is prepared, as most people will know more about the boat then them, if they have read the whole saga of Calranthe's short boating experience on the canals, well the T&M, well at least a mile or two and a lock. Sorry but you have to have a laugh and a sense of humour on a boat, Doh, Sorry if you had one, Doh no.:captain: no.

Edited by PD1964

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I think most boaters could ill afford to waste £4000 and those that have followed the OP's posts that have some common sense could see how it was going to end, Alan de Enfield with his 30 years experience must of seen what was coming surely? But if the OP or de Enfield can waste £4000 just like that I'm sure there's lots of "muddy ditch boaters" only too willing to take it off their hands.

But your not on the cut and never have been, so don't start thinking that £4000 is a normal repair bill or expense. It's not

I wanted to explain two other points, not meaning to offend any one

We went 6 miles up the TMC canal the first time and 3 miles the second time, am I wrong in thinking that is "on the cut".

At the time of the break down Canal and River Rescue were amazing and between us on the boat and the wonderful people back at home base they contacted 15 contractors for us in the general area and all were booked solid for work, in the end a really amazing guy one of there people who does not usually come out but instead works in a workshop came out with his beautiful Alsatian Mika (I think that was her name), we looked into many options, shardlow Marina (they are setup for GRP) was an option but to get there would have meant having the boat towed all the way there, CRR covers you for the first two hours of towing anything beyond that can get expensive.

CRR even tried twice  to contact the specialist who works in Leicester and deals with the Z Drives but no joy.

We knew for certain we could get the boat to sawley without incurring any further costs we knew we could with only one more visit and time away from Paola we could get it on the broker with 6 months free mooring.

Every other option had question marks and cost possibilities, without prior knowledge and certainty of getting an engineer, without a trailer and car.

does that at least make sense to people ?

Edited by Calranthe

8 hours ago, Calranthe said:

I wanted to explain two other points, not meaning to offend any one

We went 6 miles up the TMC canal the first time and 3 miles the second time, am I wrong in thinking that is "on the cut".

At the time of the break down Canal and River Rescue were amazing and between us on the boat and the wonderful people back at home base they contacted 15 contractors for us in the general area and all were booked solid for work, in the end a really amazing guy one of there people who does not usually come out but instead works in a workshop came out with his beautiful Alsatian Mika (I think that was her name), we looked into many options, shardlow Marina (they are setup for GRP) was an option but to get there would have meant having the boat towed all the way there, CRR covers you for the first two hours of towing anything beyond that can get expensive.

CRR even tried twice  to contact the specialist who works in Leicester and deals with the Z Drives but no joy.

We knew for certain we could get the boat to sawley without incurring any further costs we knew we could with only one more visit and time away from Paola we could get it on the broker with 6 months free mooring.

Every other option had question marks and cost possibilities, without prior knowledge and certainty of getting an engineer, without a trailer and car.

does that at least make sense to people ?

How much is the mooring per month after the first six months?