Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Normally a broker does not charge any mooring fees whilst a boat is on brokerage, and, there are no 'brokerage fees' to pay until it is sold at which time the fees are charged.

Our Brokerage Fees

Narrowboats up to £20K = £1000 + VAT
Narrowboats from £20K to £40K = £1500 + VAT
Narrowboats over £40K = £2000 + VAT
Widebeam craft = Price on application 
GRP Cruisers ­— all values = £650 + VAT

Yes that is right, I have learnt a lot from Kathleen, know what we need and want from a boat, know what Paola needs, (blood tests came back nothing is getting worse which is really the best case scenario, more appointments tomorrow).

Stick it on Ebay ? *takes a deep breath*

I think a lot of people are commenting without thinking.

I sold a collectors items for £810 on Ebay a couple of months ago, ebay charged me £89.50 so lets do the math

Sale £2500  = £275.66 to ebay.

If it sells in the first month thats  £150 mooring fees

1 months CRT license 

1 months insurance

Still cheaper than a broker I agree until you add in the time spent (viewings/arranging sale, phone calls and emails).

Quite a few people on this thread have said multiple times I should get the boat fixed and then sell it, to all of you with the greatest respect I say this, tell me in this thread and I will call the broker, drop the price to £1,800 and you buy the boat, do the "easy" fix and sell it on for £3,300 and make a nice profit, you also get the bonus of two weeks free mooring at sawley while you do the "easy" fixes (sawley give you two weeks to move your boat once bought) if you really believe what you are saying about "just needing a trailer" and "easy fix from the sound of it" then you obviously have a lot more experience, tools and contacts in boats than me, what do you have to loose?.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Normally a broker does not charge any mooring fees whilst a boat is on brokerage, and, there are no 'brokerage fees' to pay until it is sold at which time the fees are charged.

Our Brokerage Fees

Narrowboats up to £20K = £1000 + VAT
Narrowboats from £20K to £40K = £1500 + VAT
Narrowboats over £40K = £2000 + VAT
Widebeam craft = Price on application 
GRP Cruisers ­— all values = £650 + VAT

Depends on the broker. You get 3 months free mooring at ours and then you are charged per month.

Ours also work on a percentage for fees which is 7% plus vat.

That said they always get a good price for the boats and sell them pretty quickly.

4 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Quite a few people on this thread have said multiple times I should get the boat fixed and then sell it, to all of you with the greatest respect I say this, tell me in this thread and I will call the broker, drop the price to £1,800 and you buy the boat, do the "easy" fix and sell it on for £3,300 and make a nice profit, you also get the bonus of two weeks free mooring at sawley while you do the "easy" fixes (sawley give you two weeks to move your boat once bought) if you really believe what you are saying about "just needing a trailer" and "easy fix from the sound of it" then you obviously have a lot more experience, tools and contacts in boats than me, what do you have to loose?.

Good point and well made.

Lets see how many of these mechanical experts are prepared to gamble with their own money - bet you don't get any takers.

8 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

... you buy the boat, do the "easy" fix and sell it on for £3,300.

The difference here is that you're asking someone to spend £1800 and then investigate what the fault is. We're suggesting to you that you could SAVE £1500 by investigating what the fault is. 

Do I want to spend £1800 on a broken boat? No. Would I spend a couple of hundred to see if it was possible to fix the broken boat if I already owned it and was about to take a £2k hit on it? Damn right I would. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The difference here is that you're asking someone to spend £1800 and then investigate what the fault is. We're suggesting to you that you could SAVE £1500 by investigating what the fault is. 

Do I want to spend £1800 on a broken boat? No. Would I spend a couple of hundred to see if it was possible to fix the broken boat if I already owned it and was about to take a £2k hit on it? Damn right I would. 

And my point if you had read my thread is even best case scenario we are talking over £1000 to get it fixed, Engineer + Mooring + parts + slipway fees + trailer + vehicle.

if you live in a world that a couple of hundred will cover all of that then please invite me because I live in the wrong one.

Let me put it simpler lets say it cost £1000 to put the boat right.

At this moment my boat is on broker for 2500, most I could raise that to is 3300 which means because we will still have the 650+vat broker fee that I am at least £200 out of pocket by fixing it let me explain that again.

(for simplicity lets call brokers fees 750 including vat)

2500 - 750 = 1750

3300 - 750 = 2550    - fixing cost 1000 = 1500

Lets try that again lets say I sell it for 2000 without fixing it 

2000 - 750 = 1250  a loss of 250 versus the fully fixed version  (250 for the time and effort to get a boat fixed just for selling)

Edited by Calranthe

8 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

And my point if you had read my thread is even best case scenario we are talking over £1000 to get it fixed, Engineer + Mooring + parts + slipway fees + trailer + vehicle.

if you live in a world that a couple of hundred will cover all of that then please invite me because I live in the wrong one.

In my world I would ask around to see if I could borrow a trailer and then I'd take the side cover off the gear change and take a quick look. I think a couple of hundred would cover that easily. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

In my world I would ask around to see if I could borrow a trailer and then I'd take the side cover off the gear change and take a quick look. I think a couple of hundred would cover that easily. 

I know no one in the boating community beyond this forum, I already stated I do not own a car and do not know anyone with a tow bar, I also stated that Sawley does not have standing area and thus I would have to either fix the boat really quickly or move it offsite, we are going round in circles we just live in different worlds.

I am not saying Kathleen is a bad boat, she has a solid hull, good electrics (Peter can attest to that) the engine needs tweaking as in timing I believe but it has a reconditioned fuel pump and is no longer leaking and just needs some work I can not spare the time for.

41 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

I know no one in the boating community beyond this forum, I already stated I do not own a car and do not know anyone with a tow bar, I also stated that Sawley does not have standing area and thus I would have to either fix the boat really quickly or move it offsite, we are going round in circles we just live in different worlds.

I am not saying Kathleen is a bad boat, she has a solid hull, good electrics (Peter can attest to that) the engine needs tweaking as in timing I believe but it has a reconditioned fuel pump and is no longer leaking and just needs some work I can not spare the time for.

So what is the problem? Sell the boat and move on. I would only ask, with great respect, is boating really for you ? Why not look at something like caravanning.

Howard

1 hour ago, Calranthe said:

Let me put it simpler lets say it cost £1000 to put the boat right.

At this moment my boat is on broker for 2500, most I could raise that to is 3300 which means because we will still have the 650+vat broker fee that I am at least £200 out of pocket by fixing it let me explain that again.

(for simplicity lets call brokers fees 750 including vat)

2500 - 750 = 1750

3300 - 750 = 2550    - fixing cost 1000 = 1500

Lets try that again lets say I sell it for 2000 without fixing it 

2000 - 750 = 1250  a loss of 250 versus the fully fixed version  (250 for the time and effort to get a boat fixed just for selling)

You won't sell it for £2k in its broken state.

You will be lucky to get anything after the broker has taken their cut!

18 minutes ago, croftie said:

Come on guys, Calranthe has made his decision based on what he knows, wants to do. Lets just leave it at that and hope he gets a buyer and can move on.

I agree  its their decision so we should all respect that , I was in a similar position a couple of months ago, we did a similar thing ,bought a boat to see if it suited us or not, my wife is also disabled so boat choice was key , we ended up with a viking 23 and although it has everything we wanted, heating,hot water,shower,solar etc ,after using it for a few months we have realised the narrow beam is a major issue for us, its a struggle for a weekend so how people manage to live on things this wide is beyond me, we will be selling this to buy a wider beam boat as soon as we can afford it, nine foot wide would be far more suitable

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You won't sell it for £2k in its broken state.

You will be lucky to get anything after the broker has taken their cut!

And that is fine, we seem to have a lot less issue with that than other people, anyone would think it was there money :)

4 hours ago, dccruiser said:

I am just down the road at Willington and more than happy to give you an hour or two to take a look if you wish ... i also have a car with a towbar and can think of one or two people to call for a trailer should it be required.

What a great offer :)

I think this has been a very expensive lesson to the OP with the loss on the boat, cost of engineering work/repairs, boat license/insurance. The best advice about returning the boat as not fit for purpose was ignored and advice be posters saying it was not suitable for their needs and situation was often criticised by the OP and other users. This saga is the ideal example of new boaters not doing their research, looking at canal life through rose tinted glasses and not wanting to face that the canal's may not be for them.

A very expensive waste of money and time. 

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I think this has been a very expensive lesson to the OP with the loss on the boat, cost of engineering work/repairs, boat license/insurance. The best advice about returning the boat as not fit for purpose was ignored and advice be posters saying it was not suitable for their needs and situation was often criticised by the OP and other users. This saga is the ideal example of new boaters not doing their research, looking at canal life through rose tinted glasses and not wanting to face that the canal's may not be for them.

A totally reasonable assumption at face value but if you knew the circumstances and the full-story you would know that you are making a lot of incorrect assumptions.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

We actually did a lot of research and no less than 5 people on this very forum had Kathleen on there short list, in fact when we got there and put a deposit on her one member here was one day away from doing the same, if you read the thread you would know that and also you would know that spending £1000+ possibly to fix the boat and only being able to sell it for £750 more well that is what I class as crazy talk, funny thing is if you do an archive search of this very forum for enfield z drives and problems you will find that most peoples opinions is it can be bad and costly.

I made the best decisions that cut our losses both in time and money.

If £4000 is an "expensive waste of money" then boating may not be for you, to us it was a calculated amount a test bed and to completely disagree with you on another point Boating is most definitely for us we loved it :) even with the hassle.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A totally reasonable assumption at face value but if you knew the circumstances and the full-story you would know that you are making a lot of incorrect assumptions.

I have read both threads and the best advice was given a few posts in by "Mike the Boilerman" who told them to return it to Sawley as the boat was unfit for purpose and this has been proved correct, You can go on encouraging the OP to live the dream and get the boat sorted but all he has done is wasted a lot of money.

44 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

We actually did a lot of research and no less than 5 people on this very forum had Kathleen on there short list, in fact when we got there and put a deposit on her one member here was one day away from doing the same, if you read the thread you would know that and also you would know that spending £1000+ possibly to fix the boat and only being able to sell it for £750 more well that is what I class as crazy talk, funny thing is if you do an archive search of this very forum for enfield z drives and problems you will find that most peoples opinions is it can be bad and costly.

I made the best decisions that cut our losses both in time and money.

If £4000 is an "expensive waste of money" then boating may not be for you, to us it was a calculated amount a test bed and to completely disagree with you on another point Boating is most definitely for us we loved it :) even with the hassle.

Your now selling the boat, when you get your money which is not going to be a lot as the boat is s non runner and brokerage fee's, sit down and work it out how much you have lost, Also don't tell me boating is not for me, I have a 60ft narrowboat that I have lived on for the last 8 years and I'm out now travelling on it, £4000 is a lot of money so don't dare tell anyone that boating is not for them after your fiasco, especially when they have a boat.

• Angry 2