BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

Next years dates are 26th and 27th May, finishing at Titford

This will be John and Roy's final running of the event, they have arranged for someone to take it on after that

Who is in then?

Richard

My, ahem, crew has just informed me that if I plan a route involving the Walsall again it will be grounds for divorce!

I thought next years destination was Hawne Basin. Has there been a change of plan?

I've been in correspondence with Charlie Mongoose about the beer, or shortage of same, at this years event. He replied:

"Your criticism is valid, and you weren’t the only person to make it.

Pardoe’s don’t do a sale or return - however that isn’t a problem - we could have got more with no problem.  

The real issue is getting someone to man the bar.  

Having been an entrant, (though finishing early to open the bar) by the time the beer ran out I was making a lot of stupid mistakes with change, and was totally knackered.  

I couldn’t have run it for longer - and would need to have a commitment from others who are used to running the bar at the time I was ordering, rather than people saying, very late in the day, that they could help.  

I think help needs to be from people who are not entering - both because of uncertainty of arrival time and tiredness.

If we can sort that out, then we can certainly up the amount of beer.  I’ll certainly look at it for next year and see if I can get non entrants to come and help with the bar"

And congrats on achieving 1000 posts Mr Richard.

16 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This will be John and Roy's final running of the event, they have arranged for someone to take it on after that

Who is in then?

It's a tough job, but the Moomins gota do it.

MP.

19 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Who is in then?

Richard

Just seen email and attachment from John.

He says: "Tug and Kirsty Wilson have volunteered to step into the breech."

58 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Too far for Lutine Bell (and she needa a summer off for a refurb)

Juno would need a trailer to get there...

Could "borrow" Dad's Tabur Yak and outboard... :)

Never done Horsely Fields to Walsall

On one of the first BCN Marathons - about 93 or 94 - we spent a couple of hours with friends who were doing it in a dinghy with outboard. Not too bad during the day, but they said it got VERY cold in the middle of the night, with nowhere  to go for shelter or warmth, even at midsummer.

I'm sure Team Vulpes will be back and if Titford is the finish again we have our plan B route from this year to try which doesn't involve legging Dudley tunnel though it does have a different challenging element.

16 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I'm sure Team Vulpes will be back and if Titford is the finish again we have our plan B route from this year to try which doesn't involve legging Dudley tunnel though it does have a different challenging element.

Have you bought Jon a waterproof map case?

Richard

4 hours ago, RLWP said:

Who is in then?

Richard

I am already excited,  packed my bag and everything :)

18 hours ago, Rob-M said:

So it's Plan B with the A Team. A winning combination.

• 3 months later...

Forms are out, just got ours

Richard

cropped-cropped-bcnsheader12.jpg

Birmingham Canal Navigations Society

BCNS 50th ANNIVERSARY

24hr MARATHON CHALLENGE

Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th May 2018

Why not give it a try - Details and Entry forms are now available via web site  http://www.bcnsociety.co.uk

or bcnschallenge@gmail.com

The Challenge will start at 8.00am on Saturday and finish at 2.00pm on Sunday.  Participants may navigate for as long as they like during the 30 hour period up to a maximum of 24 hours.  The aim is to accrue the greatest number of points during the Challenge based on a route map. The route cruised must be continuous and all boats must complete the cruise log included with the entry pack showing starting place and time, route covered, number of crew etc. 

titfordpumphouse.jpeg?fit=558,372

Edited by RLWP

I hope the beer situation at the pumphouse will be better this year.

To give Charlie Mongoose his due he said the problem this year was due to his entering the event as well as running the bar at the end.

I don't like suggesting things that I'm not prepared to do myself (only 'cos we'll be entering) but I hope the BCNS can get a non entrant to run the bar next year.

Question to crew: We will be entering, won't we?

The entry form was attached to the email along with the flyer.  I guess that does not help if you want to enter but have not before. If anyone needs one can post it here, but let’s face it there is plenty of time.

The one point I did note from the email, is that the explorer cruise is also finishing at the pump house to join the BCNS spring rally, rescheduled for the 50th anaversary of the BCNS.  So when the challenge entrants get there on the Sunday the Titford canal is already going to be rammed with boats.  Let’s hope with 3 events that the beer situation will be better and the attendees of the other events have not drunk it all.  Best have you own supplies just in case, we could get a forum barrel?

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

I hope the beer situation at the pumphouse will be better this year.

To give Charlie Mongoose his due he said the problem this year was due to his entering the event as well as running the bar at the end.

I don't like suggesting things that I'm not prepared to do myself (only 'cos we'll be entering) but I hope the BCNS can get a non entrant to run the bar next year.

Question to crew: We will be entering, won't we?

The BCNS have combined the Challenge with the Spring Rally as a BCNS 50th Anniversary special event so it should be lively at the Pumphouse on the Sunday night.

JP

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

I've got the rules and planner. Apparently I was first to enter. At least I beat Tawny Owl at something! Cheers Graham

Well beaten, we haven't sent our forms off yet

Richard