Beta 43 - remote diagnosis advice

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

Just wondered what sort have I got?

2007 vintage Beta 60 with 175 amp and standard alternator but no travel power.

DSCN4888 (Small).JPG

DSCN4890 (Small).JPG

DSCN4889 (Small).JPG

You have an old black Meccano pulley wheel lying in front of it, where has that come from?

IMHO  - you've got an intermediate type - though I can't see whether or not the splines are in use. When I (had to) replace my engine, Beta said that they had "only recently" come up with a solution - but that could be that they had made a retrofit kit. The splines were only short, so I don't know whether your were just left in place as yours makes use of the extended shaft

Mine below has the kit, but that's because I had two 24v alternators. There are some similarities. Yours looks like my front pulley, so it may be OK.

As always it's best to ask - give Beta the serial number of the engine (there's a plate on the top). They do keep good records and they are generally very helpful 

IMG_0254.JPG

Edited by OldGoat

26 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

That set up is a Can of Worms,made worse by those Engines not having a Damper plate on the Flywheel,(as Boat Engines really should)

On my BMC 2.5 I have installed a Microswitch on the Injector Pump at the Morse Cable end,it switches the Field control on the Twin A127 75 Amp/ Alternators,they are idle and not producing Power at Tick over, but begin Charging at Approx. 900 RPM.

Simple Stuff but effective.

Beta's approach was to fit a heavier flywheel to act as a damper(?)

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

Were they Retrofit or Original?

Original for mine - but then they both had lots of kit on the front end. Having said that IIRC Ted Spash said they fitted them to canal engines, certainly the bigger ones and that was the 50 HP in those days.

There advice was always to run battery charging at 1100 - 1200 rpm and never at tickover

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I took it to be the original crankshaft pulley.

ha ha its the remote control for the fuel cut off required for rcd, wire pulls on pulley and turns it pulley bolted to tap turns tap off and yes it is meccano

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Same pulley's used as temporary rear wheels on my half finished Meccano self steering tractor. Harvest time approaches.

SAM_0880.JPG

Note the key. These keys were standard Frank Hornby keys, used for both Meccano clockwork motors and for Hornby clockwork O gauge model railway loco's. The two ears on the keys handle are for checking the gauge of the 0 gauge tinplate track, usually after it had been trodden on.

This is the modified pully I received from beta and fitted it slides over the splines and then bolts to the larger pulley I received no instructions and was unable to use the nuts provided and removed and drilled and taped the pully to take the bolts supplied I guess it depends on what bottom pulley you have fitted,there is no kit fitted on the engine picture and you can see how the kit works transferring the load to the splined shaft 

IMG_0331.JPG