Lost my keys

hvdb

Featured Posts

Last night we were moored on the visitor moorings near Easenhall Lane Bridge No. 34 om the Oxford Canal. We were close to the signpost that tells how long one can stay there.

We had dinner on the towpath, after that we went inside. I had to use my keys to open the front door as we had closet it to keep the cat in. 

This  morning the keys were nowhere to be seen. We searched the boat and had a good look on the towpath, but got no result. The salvage magnet couldn't find any thing either.

So, if anyone finds a set of boat keys in that arena, could you please be so kind to PM me? Thank you in advance.

Helen

How do I report the löss to the police?

We are Dutch and living in the Netherlands. We have no idea at all how these things work in England.

Helen

24 minutes ago, hvdb said:

How do I report the löss to the police?

We are Dutch and living in the Netherlands. We have no idea at all how these things work in England.

Helen

Phone the police non emergency number - 101 - and they will take all your details, good luck with finding the keys.

1 hour ago, mross said:

Do report loss to local police in case they are handed in.  Is there any identification on them?  Wy wife lost keys twice.  Once I found them in the lining of her handbag, once in the lining of her coat! 

One of my dughters got a locksmith out and paid about 200 notes to get into her house when she lost her keys.....they turned up in the washing machine :lol:

By reporting to the police you'll also cover yourself (insurance wise) in case as Bewildered said, somebody's stolen them and then later tracks you to your next stop and then robs you while you're out.

In the meantime perhaps mross could check his wife's handbag and coat lining.

I don't think it's worth following mrsmelly's advice about calling out a locksmith, unless you have a washing machine, I guess it would have to be very large too.

• Greenie 1

Thank for these suggestions, think we'll phone, as we have moved on and have no other means of transport than the boat.

The only  identification is the key ring which has the name of our boat owners club on it. No boat name or index nummer. 

We'll keep or fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Helen

Sorry, did not read zenataomm's and philjw's post before posting myself. 

We do have a spare set of keys, so now my husband and I both carry a set,  so we are able to secure the boat and we have moved on. We'll take care not to leave the boat deserted for the time being. 

We will report the loss to the police, insurance matters did come to mind. 

Thanks all for your suggestions.

If we find the keys or get them back, I will post here.

Helen

Edited by hvdb
Dutch spelling checker meddling with text

Help,

I tried phoning the police but could not reach them.

Does anyone know how to get contact with 101 from a phone with a Dutch provider?  I tried 101 - wrong number and 00 44 101 - no response at all. 

Thanks for any help.

Helen

Try +44 1926 415 000 which is the Warwickshire police number.  101 only works for UK phones.  They will probably be very helpful.  Bridge 34 is near the village of Brinklow (police may not know canal bridges).

18 minutes ago, hvdb said:

Help,

I tried phoning the police but could not reach them.

Does anyone know how to get contact with 101 from a phone with a Dutch provider?  I tried 101 - wrong number and 00 44 101 - no response at all. 

Thanks for any help.

Helen

You could try one of the local alternative numbers shown on this web page https://www.police.uk/contact/#alternative-numbers

I presume Thames Valley covers Oxford, their number is listed as +44 1865 841 148

Thank you so much, I will give that a try.

And we will  save the numbers and the link to  the website for the future. 

I'm so  glad I joined this  Forum, you are amazing!

Helen

I guess from what you reported earlier that they must be on the boat somewhere!

Is it minutely possible that you left the keys in the door after dinner and left them on the outside overnight?  I suppose it's possible that some scrote saw them and took them out of spite, maybe throwing them into the canal?  It just seems so unlikely that they have been taken.

Edited by mross

Yes,mr mross, that  is what we  thought and are still  hoping. But we will report  the loss, as after tracking  down  what we did  yesterday and doing a thorough search  in the  boat we have  not  found them. They are not in my handbag, and the cat says that  of course she hasn't  hidden  them.

Thanks  again for your help

Helen

When you phone the police please put on a good Dutch accent.  We love the Dutch and you will generate warm feelings in the person who answers your call.  Unless it is a call centre in India, where an English accent is better.  (I have always had great service from Indian call centres.)

I do hope you find the keys.

Careful with that police non emergency number from your Dutch mobile. They definitely don't treat calls like it could be an emergency - beware of a long call and a huge bill.

I hope everything is OK and it doesn't spoil your holiday.