Recommended boat building books (for a beginner)

Featured Posts

Depends on what sort of boat it will be. Welcome to the forum. The more information you can post, the less justifiable will the inevitable insults be!

To answer your question, I'd suggest The Guardian, preferably in the pub. Others will disagree with part of this statement.

The bloke moored next to me is doing a roof painting DIY project. When he's not painting he is reading Tolstoy, and when he's not reading he's in the pub.

..............Dave 

26 minutes ago, dmr said:

The bloke moored next to me is doing a roof painting DIY project. When he's not painting he is reading Tolstoy, and when he's not reading he's in the pub.

..............Dave 

Tolstoy wrote some good stuff,is he reading the book about the tranquil Rabbit Abode?

Edited by cereal tiller

56 minutes ago, firstboat said:

What should a new boat DIYer read whilst working on their project?

How about;

The berth of a nation

To keel a mockingbird

Robinson cruise-o

Ketch -22

Lord of the mooring rings

That's enough books - Ed

19 minutes ago, Mike Jordan said:

Also on Amazon  - Narrow Boat & Dutch Barge Joinery Designs. By Mike Jordan

Same name as yours. Are you related? 

Have  you got "fly fishing" by J R Hartley 

Edited by rusty69

I plead guilty to the charge of self promotion! The book was part of my retirement, it seemed a waste to fail to record the various plans and making systems that I had used down the years. Graham's book is very good for all matters on fitting out generally. Mine  only gives detailed plans and methods of making internal fittings and furniture etc. It's intended to assist competent woodworkers to make the items, everything from porthole shutters to extending beds and roof lights. Also handy if you are not a fully competent woodworker but want to explain what you need done by someone who is capable, but can't spare the time make drawings.

I have a copy of "replacing you boats electrical system" by Mike Westin It is very clear and well illustrated but a little ahead of where my project is at the moment.

Thanks for your contributions I have been googling them all.

Edited by firstboat

Books I would recommend for doing a fit-out are the Graham Booth Narrowboat builders guide

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Narrowboat-Builders-Graham-Booth/1870002717 

and the ISO standards as part of the RCD rules.  These are very expensive, but can be read for free if you use the Manchester library website.  Note that these standards need to be complied with if you wish to later CE mark your boat, or even if you don't they do detail best practice and are reasonably readable.

I will find the link later.

Found the link -  http://www.manchester.gov.uk/directory_record/162241/british_standards_online

Edited by Chewbacka

What you want to be doing is looking at other people's ideas and designs ,what's good for you isn't good for Fred down the other end of the moorings, if you need to read a book on it I'd proberley try and buy  a boat all done to someone else's spec!

do what you think is right for you,  forget about books you'll spend the rest of your life reading crap that's only good for a minority

if your doing that little springer you have a good start ,it's mostly empty,get the plating done first before you put any more stuff inside,then have a night drawing a plan,the first thing I'd do is make the entrance doors to the starboard side you can then have a proper sized toilet on port side ,just think  what you want out of it and do it ,it's a bit like handwriting ,a very individual thing,if you want some photos of my much modded springer interior get back to me