Wey navigation

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, about to go down river Wey, anyone got any advice, places to stop ,good moorings and pubs etc, and how long should I buy a license for to have a leisurely trip ? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi,

we were down there last year realy nice river, i think I'm right in saying we brought a transit licence from start of the wey to the baisingstoke canal then when we returned onto the wey brought a 4 day license from pyford marina, could have maybe used another day or two to give more exploring time but we weren't rushed getting there and back in four days  ,several suitably expensive pubs on the river, enjoy.

p.s. baisingstoke is worth a look if youve got the time and they've got the water :-)

( first bits hard work lots of weed etc but rest of the canals lovely) 

1 hour ago, Timx said:

Hi, about to go down river Wey, anyone got any advice, places to stop ,good moorings and pubs etc, and how long should I buy a license for to have a leisurely trip ? Thanks in anticipation.

A week's licence will give you plenty of time to enjoy the Wey, but I don't know how much you like to do in a day. Buy two or three weeks if you need to. Nice towns to visit are Weybridge, Guildford and Godalming. Otherwise it's mainly countryside. There is a large Sainsbury's at Godalming wharf, where you literally wheel your trolley to the boat to unload.

Water points: Thames Lock, Pyrford Marina, Pyrford Lock (upstream offside), Cartbridge Wharf, Stoke Lock (downstream landing), Dapdune Wharf, Farncombe boat house (but they charge), Godalming Wharf. Pump outs: Pyrford Marina and Farncombe boat house. Elsan: Pyrford Marina, Pyrford Lock (upstream landing), Dapdune Wharf, Godalming Wharf. 

Nice places to stop: anywhere apart from near the M25. We have lengthsmen/women, so the bank is generally well-maintained. If you see somewhere nice and can get in to the side, feel free to stop there. Pubs: Pelican below Coxes Lock. Anchor below Pyrford Lock. Seven Stars not far from meadow above Newark Lock. New Inn above A247 bridge at Send. Rowbarge on bank just above Stoke Bridge A320. Several in Guildford, White House is riverside. Several in Godalming, none riverside except a Beefeater. 

Please always open both gates fully ... funnily enough we don't have significant bottom gate leakage from boat abrasion caused by single-gating. And you can leave your exit gates open on all locks. Borrow a Wey windlass from Thames Lock - you need a longer shafted one as the paddlegear is friction-controlled. 

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

Edited by Mike on the Wey
  • Greenie 1

If you arrive after 2pm, when the Thames lock keeper comes back from his/her lunch break, then you get that afternoon for free -- so the three day licence then covers the next three days.  We stopped at Pyrford the first night, then on the water meadows and Guildford the second night, on the third turned and Godalming at lunchtime and returned to Worsfold Gates, and were back on the Thames after lunch on the fourth day.  But the Wey is near home, so it wasn't as if we needed to do the tourist thing in Guildford or Godalming.

When you wind at Godalming, turn right following the river, then put your stern into the corner and let the flow bring the bow round.  If you put your bow into the corner you'll find it very difficult to get round.

Edited by adam1uk

You might find this document River Wey Boaters' Guide quite useful - I think it covers just about everything.  Also be aware that if using the Thames between Teddington and Thames Lock (River Wey) you are entitled to a River Way Transit Licence (I think they technically call it a 'transit ticket) for £10.

The restrictions are:

• Valid for 24 hours from time of issue
  • May not use Shepperton Lock

Worth knowing that a one week license is £80 but a three week license is £100. If I'd thought about it in advance I'd have spent the extra £20 to have the option to linger longer. It's a fabulous bit of waterway.

MP.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

Thanks , I will get the three week license, and that transit ticket is worth knowing, thanks again.

Just in process of relocating to River Wey. Mooring procured yesterday.

It is a beautiful waterway. Sadly you won't be able to detour up the Basingstoke as it is closed due to lack of water. We will be taking a trip down next week to Godalming and back. Might bump into you!

On 10/07/2017 at 15:50, mark99 said:

Lack of CMers is a good feature. :)

I believe you have to have a mooring to get a licence on the Wey.

Allowing an exception to this is how it all went so wrong on the rest of the cut.