Looking for a low cost fit out.

Featured Posts

For that price a very good friend, but seriously it all depends on what you require I would contact a local to you yard or fitter ask them to give you an indication of what you can get for your budget. Then work out what you can do yourself & what you need to pay for, you might be surprised what you can get on your budget, good luck.

Yes i did, I don't really like talking about money, and I didn't want to set a cost that was too high or too low. The reality is that I need it done as cheap as possible! all solid oak and brass obviously ;)

1 hour ago, firstboat said:

I was wondering if going to a local carpenter is a good idea or not?

As we explained in a similar topic to a poster who had similar ideas only a week or so ago the tools land based carpenters normally use like spirit levels and plumb lines are no use on a boat. Basically its all eyeball work. Boast move as you move about inside, they do not sit level in the water fore and aft and so on. Using a land based carpenter may produce a very odd result.

yes I do understand your worries about post on here Firstboat, but you are doing the right thing, ie, finding out cost also you have to remember fitters availability they might be busy[which is a good sign] best if possible to see previous work, not an unusual question to ask, if they are proud of there work they will be happy to show you.

• Greenie 1

Right now, I think I lack patience (and skill) to be honest, I have a fairly good understanding of what good looks like, but then for some reason I just grab a screw and hey presto! job done. I'm also quite new to this and only learning my errors after I've attempted the job, i.e.. putting a backing board behind tongue and groove. also as I'm quite new I don't own many tools and they are proving expensive which I could have put the money in to someone else doing a much better job, though then I would lose out on the learning experience. 

I get the impression that you are new to boating.

Can I suggest that rather than aiming at an oak-finished beauty that is impractical you go back and decide what you want from your boat and work from there. There are many stages at which you can buy a boat. For example, empty shell, sail-away to various stages, fully fitted for refurb....

There are other skills than carpentry required too, plumbing, electrics, mechanic, painter etc. etc. All have boat-specific requirements that you won't necessarily find in a domestic situation.

I put this together for an overseas friend who was looking to buy a barge. Some of it can be related to narrowboats and although by no means wholly comprehensive it may give you some ideas for further research.... http://abargeatlarge.co.uk/Looking for a barge/index.html 

9 hours ago, firstboat said:

Right now, I think I lack patience (and skill) to be honest, I have a fairly good understanding of what good looks like, but then for some reason I just grab a screw and hey presto! job done. I'm also quite new to this and only learning my errors after I've attempted the job, i.e.. putting a backing board behind tongue and groove. also as I'm quite new I don't own many tools and they are proving expensive which I could have put the money in to someone else doing a much better job, though then I would lose out on the learning experience. 

To give you some idea re tool costs to do the job. I am a diyer with no trade skills and I fitted competely a shell not a sailaway in 99/2000 it was only 57 feet but even working 3 plus days a week on it I took nearly 18 months. The first tool I bought was a pick up truck which proved invaluable for picking up all manner of stuff including engine/paving slabs/wood sheets etc etc I then probably spent another grand on other bits of kit so that cost would depend greatly on what if anything you already own. I did have a proffesional do some finishing touches and a proffesional paint job.