Rubbing pipe

Featured Posts

Hi all

Just completed engine service on my Beta 38 it's a not a new boat but it's my first time servicing it, when I removed the air filter I found the pipe from the engine to the calorifier had been rubbing on the on the air filter inlet tube, it's a bit off a task to change due to the accessibility of the calorifier any thoughts to my idea of cutting out the damaged bit of pipe and replacing it with a length of 15mm curved copper pipe.

the photos show how far the pipe has been rubbed

20170705_130659.jpg

20170705_130708.jpg

20170705_130736.jpg

20170705_130708.jpg.f2cb7a42210ae564ba0507dd55cc8990.jpg20170705_130659.jpg.433467ce2398bc22c6b6f0692d666955.jpg20170705_130736.jpg.5c01f089b473842e57cc380e284be60c.jpgHi all

Just completed engine service on my Beta 38 it's a not a new boat but it's my first time servicing it, when I removed the air filter I found the pipe from the engine to the calorifier had been rubbing on the on the air filter inlet tube, it's a bit off a task to change due to the accessibility of the calorifier any thoughts to my idea of cutting out the damaged bit of pipe and replacing it with a length of 15mm curved copper pipe.

the photos show how far the pipe has been rubbed

I'd cover the effected area with One of These and then I'd secure the hose firmly against either the air filter it's rubbing against or back away from it.

But then again it's not my boat, and also I shouldn't have started a sentence with "But" ...... I simply can't be trusted and should be ignored at every opportunity.

This happened on my Beta 38 as well, just after crossing the Ribble estuary, worn right through. 15mm copper pipe fits better if you solder a coupling to each end, makes up the diameter and gives the clip something to bite on. Rotate the air filter away from the pipe.

Richard

9 minutes ago, Ryeland said:

Rotate the air filter away from the pipe.

And do the bit of a faff and replace the whole hose. You know it makes sense and the pain will remind you that you are alive.  Also check over your engine every month to catch these things early which presumable the previous owner didn't.

I agree I should replace the whole pipe but being well passed retirement age and not as agile as I was, find it difficult to get into tight spaces, I might give it a try my only worries are when you disturb things you can open a can of worms I'll let you know how things go. Cheers 

7 minutes ago, Dave 2 said:

I agree I should replace the whole pipe but being well passed retirement age and not as agile as I was, find it difficult to get into tight spaces, I might give it a try my only worries are when you disturb things you can open a can of worms I'll let you know how things go. Cheers 

I find that it’s not too difficult getting into tight spaces, it’s getting out that’s the hard bit ,Oh and the cramps you get of cause.

7 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

I find that it’s not too difficult getting into tight spaces, it’s getting out that’s the hard bit ,Oh and the cramps you get of cause.

Agreed. Recently I got stuck on my back in the engine bay. It took me a good 15 minutes to devise and execute a (painful) way of getting myself out.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That will probably do the job but I would slightly flare the ends of the pipe so the hose can not slide off with vibration and pressure. Stick a 1/2 sq drive socket in the end of suitable size and hit it with a hammer.

Or solder an olive on the pipe, 1/2" from the end.

Wouldn't be a problem along as it clipped on well to the rest of the rubber pipe.

Better still rearrange the set up so it will not rub. 

If you were going to do that then great.

11 hours ago, Ryeland said:

This happened on my Beta 38 as well, just after crossing the Ribble estuary, worn right through. 15mm copper pipe fits better if you solder a coupling to each end, makes up the diameter and gives the clip something to bite on. Rotate the air filter away from the pipe.

Richard

Agreed, Yorkshire ones are ideal because they have built in ribs for the hose to grip. I rather assumed the OP might find doing that on a boat difficult.

If it isn't worn through, couldn't you cut a piece of larger diameter hose, slit it along its length and slide it over the original pipe to provide mechanical protection? 

If it is too worn to continue with the old hose, replace the hose, the add a larger split hose,  as described above to provide mechanical protection for it. 

Edited by cuthound

Looking at the pics again I find it hard to understand how such a broad and deep wear patch could be caused by the air filter. Has the hose been rotated and the wear come from underneath? Is the engine shaking about more than it should? Or was there some othere loose component that has now been removed? I notice the OP has made no reference to rotating the air filter.

When I discovered this problem the air filter was right up against the pipe considering the way the air filter was tight up against the pipe and the worn area matched up, I've no doubt the cause of damage, the boat is 13 years old who knows how long it's been rubbing just look at the metal on bridge holes rubbed over time by a bit of rope, I've moved the filter away from the hose as soon as I found the problem, but if you read Ryelands the posts same engine same problem.