Big white spaces after images

Go to solution Solved by RichM,

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

Why does the new forum software insert large blank white spaces after embedded images? Sometimes it means I have to scroll down  a lot after the images to get to the next post in a thread.

Here is an example

I don't see any large blank spaces except where the user has put a lot of paragraphs, i.e.:

<p>
    its a work of art
</p>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

<p>
    <a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="11463" href="//cwdf.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/cwdf/content/monthly_2017_07/IMG_0168.JPG.50a8b7578bc48a933c9115034ce8aa55.JPG" rel="">

Is that what you refer to?

14 minutes ago, RichM said:

I don't see any large blank spaces except where the user has put a lot of paragraphs, i.e.:

<p>
    its a work of art
</p>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

<p>
    <a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="11463" href="//cwdf.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/cwdf/content/monthly_2017_07/IMG_0168.JPG.50a8b7578bc48a933c9115034ce8aa55.JPG" rel="">

Is that what you refer to?

No - After a photo is posted there is a 6" (ish) gap after the photo before the end of the post - happens on every picture.

Air Ambulance landing in our back-garden.

Photo-0063.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - After a photo is posted there is a 6" (ish) gap after the photo before the end of the post - happens on every picture.

Air Ambulance landing in our back-garden.

Photo-0063.jpg

I'm not seeing it. What is your screen resolution? Is it possible to take a screenshot? Mine is 1920x1080 on a 15" laptop for reference.

P.S.
Nice garden

51 minutes ago, RichM said:

I'm not seeing it. What is your screen resolution? Is it possible to take a screenshot? Mine is 1920x1080 on a 15" laptop for reference.

P.S.
Nice garden

On a 15" laptop - the white space is bigger than the screen - I can only get part of it in a screen shot.

Doc1.docx

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On a 15" laptop - the white space is bigger than the screen - I can only get part of it in a screen shot.

Doc1.docx

That's odd. Not happening for me though. How long has it been doing this? I can't say if it's happening to anyone else but if it was I'm pretty sure we'd have a lot of complaints!

Does it also happen when using Chrome? If not then I'd recommend clearing your browser cache in IE if you have not already done so.

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

That's odd. Not happening for me though. How long has it been doing this? I can't say if it's happening to anyone else but if it was I'm pretty sure we'd have a lot of complaints!

Does it also happen when using Chrome? If not then I'd recommend clearing your browser cache in IE if you have not already done so.

Its happened since 'day 1' and it happens on every picture - several people have commented in various threads.

Maybe ask the question - set up a poll to see how many are affected.

7 minutes ago, RichM said:

It isn't happening for me - no additional gaps (using Chrome).

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its happened since 'day 1' and it happens on every picture - several people have commented in various threads.

Maybe ask the question - set up a poll to see how many are affected.

It also happens to me on both my Ipad and also on the PC.

It appears as if the poster of a photo has pressed return a number of times before submitting the post.

Howard

Ok I now see the problem but only in IE. It does not appear to happen on Chrome or Firefox. I have just applied a skin update which I shouldn't really be doing at this time at night. It fixed a bunch of niggles but it didn't fix the issue you report. I will report it to the people who designed the skin.

9 hours ago, RichM said:

Ok I now see the problem but only in IE. It does not appear to happen on Chrome or Firefox. I have just applied a skin update which I shouldn't really be doing at this time at night. It fixed a bunch of niggles but it didn't fix the issue you report. I will report it to the people who designed the skin.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Ok so I've now implemented the fix for this issue. The flaw was actually with IE rather than the forum software but by limiting the maximum size of thumbnails displayed, it prevents the excess white space. The tradeoff is that it means that attachment thumbnails are now limited to 500px across all browsers, though some may argue this is more than sufficient. 

I have also been advised that the forum software is not optimised for IE. That is not to say it won't work nor is it to say it will stop working. For those who wish to use a Microsoft browser on Windows 10 machines, I recommend using Microsoft Edge rather than IE. It will probably supersede IE in time to come anyway.

More about it can be found on the page below.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/microsoft-edge