Pointless features on boats

Dave_P

Featured Posts

On 7/9/2017 at 16:17, mrsmelly said:

PRECISELY :o like that. I have owned three PROPER e types a PROPER s type a Mk10 a 420 and loads of non jag beauties all  were kept standard.

Hmmm but I don't see the Eagle as a Jag E type - just a great car put into the same bodywork...! Maybe i'm being dumb, but I'd see an Eagle as a better car that does indeed look amazing, but a proper classic jag as a thing of love, and money, and time, and class.

To me there's room for completely modern-made "reboots" - but if someone got a classic and stripped it out to put modern stuff in, that would be a different thing again, seem like a shame...

25 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Hmmm but I don't see the Eagle as a Jag E type - just a great car put into the same bodywork...! Maybe i'm being dumb, but I'd see an Eagle as a better car that does indeed look amazing, but a proper classic jag as a thing of love, and money, and time, and class.

To me there's room for completely modern-made "reboots" - but if someone got a classic and stripped it out to put modern stuff in, that would be a different thing again, seem like a shame...

The boating equivalent would be to take a classic historic working boat in full carrying trim and weld a full length cabin conversion on.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:57, Ray T said:

18664406_10209581282155422_6661487742750340212_n.jpg

Could it be "The green green grass of home?" :)

I can go one better than that.  Here's a boat with real grass on the roof!

The owner had just filled the space between the handrails with a couple of inches of soil and grass. It was all rather dried out at the front, but enough moisture had run back to keep the grass towards the stern nice and green.

I can only guess at the state of the paintwork below.

Image021_20.jpg.34ec5e1a1b7a3264def427feefec8340.jpg

27 minutes ago, AllanC said:

Dog doesn't look too impressed.:D

I'm imaging the dog's think balloon. Either

"I'd love to run around on the lawn and tiddle on the bushes but I can't get up there".

Or:

!If you don't feed me, I won't let you past. Do you feel lucky, punk?"

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Looks like plastic Heron to me.  The sort of thing garden centres sell and you hope will keep other Herons away from your Koi!  Equally naff IMO.

You could be right. Bill looks a bit long for a flamingo.

So the boat is now called the flocked pink heron...........that's really naff.

3 minutes ago, AllanC said:

You could be right. Bill looks a bit long for a flamingo.

So the boat is now called the flocked pink heron...........that's really naff.

If they got another one they could call it the flocking pink Heron!  Or does it take 3 to be a flock?

On the subject of "lock keys" and "gas keys", I'm comfortable with this terminology, as here in the North-East the traditional name for a spanner (of all types, open end, ring, box etc) is a "key", in the sense that it will undo a bolt. I believe the same usage is common in Scotland. A windlass here is a type of winch!

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

On the "artificial grass thread, not quite on a boat but equally barking!

P1010001 (3).JPG

I have enough trouble keeping the grass in the gardens looking neat without having to mow the car as well. :D

On 07/05/2017 at 22:49, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thus speaks a man who has never asked that woman WHY she is working the lock instead of steering the boat...

To which a probable answer is: "I don't think I steer very well.  When I last tried I scraped along the lock wall and he shouted at me.  He tells me that men are better at that suit of thing."

On 07/18/2017 at 21:34, D. W. Walker said:

On the subject of "lock keys" and "gas keys", I'm comfortable with this terminology, as here in the North-East the traditional name for a spanner (of all types, open end, ring, box etc) is a "key", in the sense that it will undo a bolt. I believe the same usage is common in Scotland. A windlass here is a type of winch!

As on a ship.  The windlass is the machinery that raises the anchor.

On 20/07/2017 at 06:38, Theo said:

To which a probable answer is: "I don't think I steer very well.  When I last tried I scraped along the lock wall and he shouted at me.  He tells me that men are better at that suit of thing."

I suspect you missed post 63 in this thread... :)

"I've asked on a number of occasions and the most common answer I get is "I don't like steering the boat into locks". I pressed one chatty woman on it and she expanded saying "I find it hard to judge the length of the boat and I'm frightened of smashing through the gates at the end".

3 hours ago, Theo said:

As on a ship.  The windlass is the machinery that raises the anchor.

OED has "Late Middle English: probably an alteration of obsolete windas, via Anglo-Norman French from Old Norse vindáss, literally ‘winding pole’."

On the old sailing ships the windlass was operated by men pushing on radial, wooden poles.