Pointless features on boats

Dave_P

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Seriously, I'm with Ray T on this one, we should preserve the last vestiges of tradition, providing the boat looks the part, historic or replica.

I agree on one proviso, if the owner wants to live in the past ( I used to show classic cars ) then the boat must be in keeping. So when I go onboard mates who own " replica" boats with boatmans cupboards etc etc and painted cans on top then they should be lit inside with candles/oil lamps and nowhere should there be any vestiges of lecctricity and for cripes sake of inverters or washing machines etc etc lets keep the heritage eh :)

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree on one proviso, if the owner wants to live in the past ( I used to show classic cars ) then the boat must be in keeping. So when I go onboard mates who own " replica" boats with boatmans cupboards etc etc and painted cans on top then they should be lit inside with candles/oil lamps and nowhere should there be any vestiges of lecctricity and for cripes sake of inverters or washing machines etc etc lets keep the heritage eh :)

Depends what they are replicating as there were working boats with electric lights fitted.

Just now, Rob-M said:

Depends what they are replicating as there were working boats with electric lights fitted.

Yeah its each to their own and I will stick to my whilton carpets. I owned several superb classic cars years ago and my pet hate then in the eighties was when peeps used to replace original gearboxes with 5 speed units and put disc brakes etc etc on them :ninja:

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Yes, we have an old radio in the cabin of Scorpio although it isn't in working order. There are electric lights as well.

What kind of horse have you got?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah its each to their own and I will stick to my whilton carpets. I owned several superb classic cars years ago and my pet hate then in the eighties was when peeps used to replace original gearboxes with 5 speed units and put disc brakes etc etc on them :ninja:

Like this?

http://www.eaglegb.com

My neighbour works for a classic car restoration company,  XKE Engineering, and this is his pet hate :angry:

Just now, cuthound said:

Like this?

http://www.eaglegb.com

My neighbour works for a classic car restoration company,  XKE Engineering, and this is his pet hate :angry:

PRECISELY :o like that. I have owned three PROPER e types a PROPER s type a Mk10 a 420 and loads of non jag beauties all  were kept standard.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 19:57, haggis said:

Name of the builder blazoned on the boat. 

haggis

...and yet a display of the maker's and model's name has long been a feature of motor cars, and few people find that reprehensible, unless perhaps it's a Dacia Duster which should have the decency to remain anonymous. What is the objection?

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

PRECISELY :o like that. I have owned three PROPER e types a PROPER s type a Mk10 a 420 and loads of non jag beauties all  were kept standard.

He isn't a huge fan of the "missing 6" lightweight E Types that Jaguar built in 2014.

I say Jaguar built, they didn't, they subcontracted assembly and painting to XKE Engineering, despite what the Channel 4 documentary said about them being built by Jaguar's Heritage Department. More marketing bollux.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

He isn't a huge fan of the "missing 6" lightweight E Types that Jaguar built in 2014.

I say Jaguar built, they didn't, they subcontracted assembly and painting to XKE Engineering, despite what the Channel 4 documentary said about them being built by Jaguar's Heritage Department. More marketing bollux.

My favourite was my Daimler double six it was my daily driver for 3 years. Did 12 to the gallon at any speed you liked, still 12 to the gallon :lol:

I wouldn't say no to an Eagle E-Type.

My English teacher at school had an E-Type, he owned it for a year or so but sold it and replaced with a Mini Cooper.  Both quick cars. When asked why his reply was that the back end always wanted to overtake the front end.

(He was a bit of hard nut, he was part of the Lancashire and Derbyshire pot hole rescue team. Occasionally leaving class and speeding off to rescue,as he used to say, some idiot. Had some great slides to show the class towards end of term, every term! He had a 'named' cane that he was quite happy to introduce you to.)

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

My favourite was my Daimler double six it was my daily driver for 3 years. Did 12 to the gallon at any speed you liked, still 12 to the gallon :lol:

What else did you expect? Double six and you get twelve.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

the Lancashire and Derbyshire pot home.

That great Northern institution for the treatment of soft-drug enthusiasts. Ee, they were tough up t'North in them days.

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I wouldn't say no to an Eagle E-Type.

My English teacher at school had an E-Type, he owned it for a year or so but sold it and replaced with a Mini Cooper.  Both quick cars. When asked why his reply was that the back end always wanted to overtake the front end.

(He was a bit of hard nut, he was part of the Lancashire and Derbyshire pot hole rescue team. Occasionally leaving class and speeding off to rescue,as he used to say, some idiot. Had some great slides to show the class towards end of term, every term! He had a 'named' cane that he was quite happy to introduce you to.)

The cooper s was like driving a drugged slug after an E type. I aint going to google but the difference in performance was oooooooge no standard mini was ever fast, I believe the fastest 0 to 60 was never under 10 seconds?

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Already edited,whilst you were conjuring an appropriate response. But very good all the same.

In deference to your editorial velocity I've edited mine too!

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The cooper s was like driving a drugged slug after an E type. I aint going to google but the difference in performance was oooooooge no standard mini was ever fast, I believe the fastest 0 to 60 was never under 10 seconds?

True,  the 1275 was the quickest S, with 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

My 970 S, with a 40 thou over bore,  731 "half race" cam and limited slip diff used to develop about 100bhp, giving it a power to weight ratio of 200bhp per ton, used to do 0-60 in under 7 seconds, around the same as about E Type, which had about the same power to weight ratio.

Mind you the E Type was good for getting on for 150mph, whereas my Mini struggled to get over 100mph. Different story round the twisty bits though :D

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

My neighbour works for a classic car restoration company,  XKE Engineering

Do you mean XK Engineering just outside Shilton? I know them well. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Do you mean XK Engineering just outside Shilton? I know them well. 

Yes, they often have £20 million pounds worth of classic cars under restoration at any one time.

54 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Back on topic.

Fenders on plastic hire boats.

They are never in the right place!

Youve had to get back on topic Rach cos you think a sierra is a car!! :lol:

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

True,  the 1275 was the quickest S, with 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

My 970 S, with a 40 thou over bore,  731 "half race" cam and limited slip diff used to develop about 100bhp, giving it a power to weight ratio of 200bhp per ton, used to do 0-60 in under 7 seconds, around the same as about E Type, which had about the same power to weight ratio.

Mind you the E Type was good for getting on for 150mph, whereas my Mini struggled to get over 100mph. Different story round the twisty bits though :D

I used to keep a mini in the boot to use as a shopping trolley :D