Pointless features on boats

Dave_P

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, mross said:

OED has "Late Middle English: probably an alteration of obsolete windas, via Anglo-Norman French from Old Norse vindáss, literally ‘winding pole’."

On the old sailing ships the windlass was operated by men pushing on radial, wooden poles.  

So it would be synonymous with "capstan"?

On 20/07/2017 at 12:14, Dave Payne said:

Flags of your country, when you are from another country that is, nobody cares what country you are from.

Back in 80s when designer clothes were all the rage, my mate had a tee shirt bearing the slogan:

"Its not who you are,
its what you wear.
Who cares who you are anyway?
"

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Furness said:

A woman who can't steer the boat,won't operate locks,can't cook,and doesn't like sex.

Just to ingratiate myself with the ladies and because I can be a bit of a creep that list could include quite a few men (But even if some men aren't very good at that last bit we can usually mend things)

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Bee said:

Just to ingratiate myself with the ladies and because I can be a bit of a creep that list could include quite a few men (But even if some men aren't very good at that last bit we can usually mend things)

So, you are ambivalent [as they say]. Sometimes best to leave the forum for a few days ....................