It all started with a post, the making of a skylight

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Big Col: That looks bloomin' great on your boat, you must be so chuffed. Congrats on a fabulous modification. 

Tony WotEver: What a lovely looking piece of work. If I was any more impressed, I'd be more impressed than a bloke who was very impressed indeed!

It was the first one I've ever made and wasn't without its challenges. However I learned a lot during the process and the next one will go more smoothly. The biggest problem was handling and jigging up something that's 2m x 1m. That's a big (and heavy) chunk of wood.

Tapping 1/2" stainless steel bar was difficult for a woody - I don't do steel as a norm.

Something else I learned - however much dust extraction you have it's not enough ;)

2 hours ago, NB Lola said:

Could one be made up with some form of light excluder from the inside (when required)?

I'm sure something could be worked out with either roller blinds or thin concertina type blinds. I guess first step would be to see what you like then we'd work out how to fit them. 

I have to say, having this skylight with both opening sides, is a god send.

the light breeze runs through the whole boat.

been hot today, and I'm really happy

my wife is happy happy happy!!

again thankyou to the forum, and of course to Wotever.

the other thing I have to say, when you have jobs done on your boat be it welding,gas,electrics etc etc

you get use to delays,lies, excuses, short days,no turn up days. I have had em all in the past

Tony turned up on the day he said he would, and on time

kept me informed in all stages how it was progressing with emails photos and by phone.

Everything went tickety boo, totally stress free.

col

Tony that is bloody awsome kida. 

I just love to see a good bit of real wood work done :) 

I just need to loose a few more marbles and i may get a fully varnished 35 + wooden boat to play with lol. 

Cracking job mate ;)

Tony even got the wife working as well.

we have to say we've had the dog box for a couple weeks allready,and we love it, lots more light, with the openers fresh air.

col

IMG_0120.JPG

• Greenie 1

Its a work of art, absolutely beautiful, and fully functional ..............

PS, can someone tell me how to add to the reputation of a member, ty, and is that what a greenie is , ty

Edited by LadyG

That looks really nice. Excellent bit of woodwork, which has clearly been made with every consideration in mind, and suits the boat very well indeed. Credit to all involved!

We fitted an additional 2ft brass roof hatch above the kitchen area of EmilyAnne two years ago, replacing a pigeon box type get up, and it is transformational in the way it's bought light and fresh air onto the boat. I can only imagine the light created below said dogbox.

Daniel

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Its a work of art, absolutely beautiful, and fully functional ..............

PS, can someone tell me how to add to the reputation of a member, ty, and is that what a greenie is , ty

To give someone a greenie, you need to be in full screen mode, not mobile mode.

Then at the bottom right corner of each post you will see a greenie  up arrow and a small box with a heart and a number in it.

Press the up arrow, it will change to a red down arrow and the number in the heart box will go up by one. To rescind your greenie,  simply press on the red down arrow and the process is reversed. 

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1

• 4 years later...

See this post from 2017 but hoping tony might still be here? Looking for a skylight v similar to this one for my narrowboat. She’s booked in for some metal work at redhill late June so just need the box built. Any leads? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Freya said:

See this post from 2017 but hoping tony might still be here? Looking for a skylight v similar to this one for my narrowboat. She’s booked in for some metal work at redhill late June so just need the box built. Any leads? Thanks! 

Paging @WotEver....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. I am looking to fit a slylight/roofhatch into a narrowboat that I am moving into in July. I am wondering about the choice of angled windows versus flat. I am renting a boat with a flat skylight (doesn't open) and I love it although I have only been on here since December. This one is very beautiful. Also Wotever if you are available for more projects? Based in London!

12 minutes ago, Mike Jordan said:

My advice is still the same don’t even think about it!

Mike.

Far, far better (and more useful) to cover the roof with solar panels, not only will they charge the batteries, but will provide for lights to be used - even at night (when a skylight will do nothing)

• 2 months later...