Naughty-Cal Takes The High Road

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Hmmm I was beginning to think that! Are there any narrowboats/barges up there cruising about? 

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

It's 10ft wide 58ft long flat bottomed cat D I think. We're certainly going to explore the northern England canals, but wanted to find out more about Scottish waters, I haven't found a huge amount of info on t'Internet!  

Scottish canals don't allow flat bottomed narrow boats on the Caledonian. Not sure about wide beams.  To get between the Lowland canals (Union and Forth and Clyde) and the Crinan and the Caldedonian requires sea passage which flat bottom boats are not really suited for. One tried it but had to turn back before getting very far from the canal after having to be rescued

haggis

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No.

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Scottish canals don't allow flat bottomed narrow boats on the Caledonian. Not sure about wide beams.  To get between the Lowland canals (Union and Forth and Clyde) and the Crinan and the Caldedonian requires sea passage which flat bottom boats are not really suited for. One tried it but had to turn back before getting very far from the canal after having to be rescued

haggis

Thanks folks, that saves a potentially costly mistake! 

4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

It's 10ft wide 58ft long flat bottomed cat D I think. We're certainly going to explore the northern England canals, but wanted to find out more about Scottish waters, I haven't found a huge amount of info on t'Internet!  

There is plenty of information available about cruising in these Scottish waters, but you need a boat that is suitable for more boisterous and changeable weather conditions. Although it is a fantastic cruising area you need to be prepared with a suitable boat and ready to cope with frequent changes of weather.  Why not charter a boat for a few days to give it a try?

Howard

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

There is plenty of information available about cruising in these Scottish waters, but you need a boat that is suitable for more boisterous and changeable weather conditions. Although it is a fantastic cruising area you need to be prepared with a suitable boat and ready to cope with frequent changes of weather.  Why not charter a boat for a few days to give it a try?

Howard

Thanks Howard, that is a definite possibility, I haven't been to Scotland and that would be a great way to visit.

22 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Moved a James Silver Twin Screw Motor Boat from the Crinan Canal out to Oban then through the Caledonian in 1983.nice Timber Boat well suited for Coastal and Deep water use.we even used the Walker Trailing Log for Speed confirmation.the Boat had been used in and around Jockland since the 1930's but had no Heating at all!

4 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

Having been along Loch Ness in a cruiser it is not somewhere i would like to be in a flat bottomed canal boat!

Thanks for all the posts, I have really enjoyed reading about your trip.

52 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I wasn't there, I don't know our or Liam,but I have followed your adventures. This photo brings sadness to me.

It is quite sad to be coming back. 

We will go back at some point though. 

We are now back home safe and sound. 

20170721_232352.jpg

A big thanks to Tony Tugboat for getting us back in one piece. 

3 hours ago, LEO said:

Have a good trip back, see you have the Dodge this time, Great Pictures - Thanks.  

Mike.

The land cruiser was definitely more comfortable as a passenger but the dodge certainly pulled better with the boat in the back.

Now time for some snooze!

23 hours ago, billS said:

Did you manage a trip to Balamory Tobermory?

23 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No. The weather was against us. 

The staff here say it is highly unusual for the wind to blow easterly directly at the marina as it has been doing this past few days.

We have been unlucky I guess. But we have still enjoyed it and we still have a weekend on home waters to enjoy.

Great excuse to go back again NC :P

Thanks for the great photos, really enjoyed keeping up with your Northern adventure.

Edited by cuthound
Edited to remove duplicate post.

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Great excuse to go back again NC :P

Thanks for the great photos, really enjoyed keeping up with your Northern adventure.

It is indeed :)

We have a few other places to tick off the list first though.

Thames next we think.

• 3 weeks later...