Window catch

LouiseW

Featured Posts

Ah the Caldwells catch. No longer available I am afraid. I have been searching for a replacement myself for many months now but I have had no success. Have tried the catch from Screwfix/Wickes  but the dimensions are not good enough to allow the catch to reach the frame when bolted onto the glass. The windows are now old and I am thinking of replacement units - drastic but I am not aware of an alternative.

2 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Ah the Caldwells catch. No longer available I am afraid.

Back to the suggestion from the other thread then, to take one to a small engineering shop and see if they could fabricate some. Might be worth having say 50 made and advertise them on eBay. 

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Back to the suggestion from the other thread then, to take one to a small engineering shop and see if they could fabricate some. Might be worth having say 50 made and advertise them on eBay. 

If anyone thinks this might be a viable enterprise, lost wax casting could be an option. When you realise just how much work goes into the process it seems to be a ridiculous suggestion. However, about 10 years ago I designed a novel rest-head for use in snooker. I used Devon Metalcrafts and paid around £4 per item at the time, ordering in batches of 50. Not sure what would be an achievable price to sell on at or whether there would be sufficient demand.

Sand casting could be another option as the faces that need to be smooth could easily be flattened on a grinder, leaving a rough finish only in the cup. This should be cheaper for very short runs as the original forms the mould for each casting rather than having a master mould made and casting wax facsimiles.