Stove fitter on Lancaster Canal or local

Featured Posts

Hi all,

can anyone recommend someone who might fit a new stove to my boat, which is currently in Lancaster/Kendal area.

Apparently we need someone who is HETAS registered. We're new to the area and so have no contacts to ask for referrals.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Hetas is another one of the monopoly accreditations for solid fuel stoves like gas safe for gas and part p for spsrkies, basically it applies to domestic homes and isn't as far as I know a requirement for boats. 

There's a risk a hetas fella might try to apply the domestic regs to a boat and you could end up with problems. Guess it's worth asking if they have any experience of fitting on boats if not be wary. 

There is a stove supplier called fuelmizas in ribchester might be worth giving them a ring. They are a long standing stove supplier in the ribble valley Ive bought a few stoves and spares off them over the  years but I've never had them install a stove. if they don't do installs I'm sure they will know some people who do 

edit to add : if your on the Lancaster might be worth calling in at  brayzel boats and see who they use 

Edited by jonathanA

11 hours ago, tonyreptiles said:

Hi all,

can anyone recommend someone who might fit a new stove to my boat, which is currently in Lancaster/Kendal area.

Apparently we need someone who is HETAS registered. We're new to the area and so have no contacts to ask for referrals.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Hi Tony

Do you do any maintainance stuff yourself? If you are in any way handy stove fitting is a doddle. The only problem you may have is if you need to angle the flue but any half decent welding bod can cut and do that for you.

1 hour ago, tonyreptiles said:

Yeah, tried Neil. Without going into detail - no joy. 

Another recommendation would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Hmm, you could try St Mary's Marina at Rufford who may point you in the right direction.

Yo Tony, 

What have you done to the old stove?!!

You totally don't need a HETAS bod to do it. In fact a HETAS bod is quite likely to have you jumping though several expensive and unnecessary hoops, like twin wall flue and ridiculous clearances. 

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. I will give these recommendations a go. It's good to know I don't need a HETAS registered fitter. I have just received a PM from another boater who is having similar problems, so I'm glad it's not just me. 

Any further recommendations gratefully received. 

TR

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yo Tony, 

What have you done to the old stove?!!

You totally don't need a HETAS bod to do it. In fact a HETAS bod is quite likely to have you jumping though several expensive and unnecessary hoops, like twin wall flue and ridiculous clearances. 

Hiya Mike,

you'll remember my boat's 'corridor style' layout, perhaps? The old stove is fine but we're having a move around to make more space. We're moving the stove from at the end of the galley to the other 'corridor' side. This means we can have a back-boiler and run radiators down to the office and bedroom. 

The space left by the current stove will mean we can extend the galley slightly, giving me more a worktop space which is a little bigger than a postage stamp. 

Luxury!

TR

Ah ok so it is moving an existing stove, chimney etc. Lots of people about on the cut earning a living doing casual work like this. I'm faintly surprised no other names and numbers have cropped up. 

Nip down to the Southern Oxford and I can give you a reliable name or two!

• 2 months later...

As I am the other boater tony mentioned thought I'd add an update if anyone else has had the same problem.  I needed a new flue and 6" collar ( original was 4" and corroded) - I finally found someone to do it, all the way from Nantwich! Even allowing for travel expenses Paul wheeler still gave me a competitive price. Very happy with him and the quality of his work, he also serviced my engine and did some plumbing work - very happy to recommend him.  Contact details paulat. piwnarrowboatservices co uk, he also has a website and Facebook page.