Marinas that charge per ft width darn sarth

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why should a marina reduce its available berths by having 50% of them taking twice the space of the other 50%, and not charge a higher rate to recover their lost income - "there lies madness"

One of my boats is 23 feet beam - I have to pay a widebeam surcharge of 30% above the normal price, my other boat is 14 foot beam, and again I pay 30% surcharge.

I think that is fair.

(BWML Marinas)

I don't know of any marina that charges a surcharge of 2x.

I was replying to MTB who thinks all widebeams should pay double the price of narrow boats for moorings.

I was moored at T&K on the Thames and yes you paid more for but not double.

6 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

I was replying to MTB who thinks all widebeams should pay double the price of narrow boats for moorings.

I was moored at T&K on the Thames and yes you paid more for but not double.

No, certainly not all widebeams. Just those that are the same length and double the width surely :)

• Greenie 1

• 6 months later...
On 01/07/2017 at 09:47, mrsmelly said:

Most things are realy quite simple on boats. As for battery charging all you have to do is fit Trojan batteries and give them their own individual names and read them a bedtime story each night, top up with water eight times a day, do an equalisation charge every six hours and they will last for at least eighteen years. To keep warm on a boat is even simpler you simply buy an " Eco Fan " they are so good that even without a heat source they whiz away and fully heat the boat at a completely even temperature throughout. The boat of course must be gas free, fitted with a composting bog and painted purple for all these things to be fully worthwhile.

See post 22

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And of the rumours that the canals in such a poor state they wont last much longer

I think one [licensing psqmetre]  s more likely than total collapse, and more imminent.

Edited by LadyG

On 01/07/2017 at 04:07, alan_fincher said:

I can't imagine that many marinas on a canal like the GU are going to charge less for a narrow wide beam than a fat one.

Most seem to be based on finger pontoons, that will generally accommodate two 7 foot narrow boats between them.

As soon as what goes in is much over 7 feet wide, then in many places a second boat would not fit, so it would be entirely reasonable for such a marina to charge twice as much for a 9 foot wide boat than a 7 foot wide boat, wouldn't it?

Clearly there will be exceptions to this, but I doubt many are able to easily accommodate 9 foot wide boats without space being wasted.

We were in Paddington Basin last year and had room next to an 8’-6” GRP boat between fingers. Any body know just what CRT use as the standard gap between fingers?

you would think 21'6" would be a sensible gap between fingers on a pontoon (assuming it's on a canal suitable for widebeams).

that way you can have a wide moored next to a narrow (with a 6 inch gap) or narrow next to narrow with a 7'6" gap.

however I suspect that fire regulations require a bigger gap between boats

30 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

you would think 21'6" would be a sensible gap between fingers on a pontoon (assuming it's on a canal suitable for widebeams).

that way you can have a wide moored next to a narrow (with a 6 inch gap) or narrow next to narrow with a 7'6" gap.

however I suspect that fire regulations require a bigger gap between boats

Unlike caravan / camp sites there appears to be no minimum distance specified (required) between boat.

We looked into buying a marina(s) and was surprised to find no 'fire spacing distances' were required by the local authority or, apparently, legislation.

We eventually did not buy a marina and did something else (less tying) and then also built a caravan park.

When we built our Caravan park there was talk of increasing the spacing to 7 metres so we built to those requirements :

The legislation states :

As a general rule the spacing should be not less than 6 metres. Porches may protrude 1 metre into that 6 metre space and eaves, drainpipes and bay windows may also encroach into that space provided that the total distance between the extremities of each caravan is not less than 5.25 metres.

The minimum space between caravans made of aluminium or other materials with similar fire performance properties can be not less than 5 metres if the Local Authority Site conditions allow. For Caravans with a plywood or similar structure we are back to the 6 metre rule. If a site has a mix of caravans of aluminium and plywood, the separation distance needs to be 6 metres.

In any event each Local Authority, as licensing Authority may have their own rules, but they cannot fall below these minimum requirements