"Blue & Yellow? or whatever came along" BW livery in perspective!

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rivergate said:

My old butty in the Blue and Gold :) and Darley and Alperton in the stunning Yellow and Blue from back in the day.. :) 

I remember BEDWORTH when it was one of Alan 'Caggy' Stevens rubbish hulks, and I remember Donald White (known as 'The Duck') fitting it out as a butty again during the late 1980's and painting it as in your photograph (also published as a postcard). Donald White also painted the interior decoration of DARLEY after it was put back together in the early 1980's, and I used to buy my coal off ALPERTON when it tied in Gas Street Basin. Those were great times with many fond memories :captain:

..:) for sure...I worked with The Duck on the dredging fleets and recently bumped into him again at Stockton and we were tied up at the Stop for a while with Roger and Darley and Alperton...good times :) 

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Is that a mini gangplank on the butty/anser?

Yes, and often used on an empty large butty - especially when the water level is quite high in relation to the towpath. This was a particular problem for my (ex) wife when we owned a large Woolwich butty as she is only 4'11'' and often could not get off the boat let alone back on it again. Personally I found it easier to get on just in front of the cabin where the sides are a little shallower :captain:

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Associated Carriers boats had a similar livery- did they simply retain the BW livery?

Not really.  Ian Kemp, (pictured) was one of the main supporters of the "new" Blue and Yeller livery which proliferated in the early 80s.  Comet had been repainted before that time in a totally different livery to the BW by Jim Marshall. Plenty of pix of that livery on postcards etc.

• 2 years later...

I came across this image in the archives collection of the CRT. It shows the colours for DIWE Southern District boats, for the North Western Division:-

BW175/6/5/1

"Plan of lettering and colours of narrow trading boats - British Waterways"

Description

Shows butty boat, cabin, fore end and stern plan, motor boat stern end, fore end and cabin. Shows blue and yellow colourway. Stamped on reverse "D.&I.W.E. N.W. Division, 2 Jan 1949, Southern District Engineer's Office".

Date

12 October 1948

DIWE Colours.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

....and Alan did indeed have Sickle in those colours....

I think this was taken 1 day after she came out of the shed.

The guide shows the yellow and blue the other way round ...  Yellow cabin with blue detailing.

On 30/06/2017 at 19:00, alan_fincher said:

The special exhibition livery apparently applied to "Sickle" in about 1957, and which she appears to have continued to carry as a maintenance boat for some years after that date.

Note also the small "funnel like" exhaust.

I'm tempted by this livery for a future repaint, but to get it right, really need a picture that shows it in more detail.

Sickle_1957_Fishery_2.jpg

Sorry, I looked back at this old post

He's still searching for an authentic barrel.

Edited by matty40s