A last minute week - where do we go?

Galoka

Featured Posts

Hi,

New member here.

We are planning on hiring a narrow boat for a canal trip pretty much last minute (a couple of weeks time. Hiring for a week) There still seems to be a fair bit of availability of boats to hire, but can't decide where to go. Too many options and not enough time to investigate them all properly :-)

We are family of 4 with two kids 12 and 16. We would plan on stopping off at interesting places on the way, probably taking it a bit easy, rather than trying to clock up the miles, and locks to keep the kids busy :-) We live in the flat lands of Cambridgehsire, so some nice scenery as well.

My first thought is the Llangollen Canal, as we were supposed to go on a trip on there when I was a teenager, but we had to change plans when it was closed for works. I've always wanted to go back and do it. But I'm a little concerned it may be rather busy. Will it be to busy, will it matter?

Any suggestions for other locations welcome.

Thanks

There are too many variable to get a one definitive answer. The best boats are now long since fully booked but as you say there will probably be plenty of options its down to personal choice. For instance the Llangollen would be very near the bottom of my " Do again " list and agree with Machpoint005 with the maccy being well near the top. Others will disagree. Leeds and Liverpool also has fab bits.

Edited by mrsmelly

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not expecting a definitive answer (not that there can be such a thing):-) I'm just looking for suggestions from people who know the canal network of areas to consider, to short circuit the process of deciding really, since I've limited time and want to book soon.

There still seem to be quite a few boats available, especially from the bigger companies, i'm sure they will do us fine.

So what put the Macclesfield high up the list?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Galoka said:

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not expecting a definitive answer (not that there can be such a thing):-) I'm just looking for suggestions from people who know the canal network of areas to consider, to short circuit the process of deciding really, since I've limited time and want to book soon.

There still seem to be quite a few boats available, especially from the bigger companies, i'm sure they will do us fine.

So what put the Macclesfield high up the list?

Thanks

The maccy is scenic in parts especialy near " Mow cop " and the locks. Its a very easy to do canal with easy narrow locks and good pubs/places to visit.

The Leeds and Liverpool west from Skipton/Silsden, through the Foulridge Tunnel and back will meet your criteria for beautiful scenery, locks and swing bridges, plus interesting places to visit. It also won't be too busy. Silsden Boats and Pennine Cruisers are two hire companies in that area that you could look at.

I've just been to Llangollen and back and it is VERY busy - and not even the school holidays yet.

I agree with rgreg above. The Leeds-Liverpool around Skipton is very nice indeed, and you could take the Skipton - Settle - Appleby train ride before or after your boat. It's the Settle-Carlisle route (reputed to be the prettiest in Britain) but there's no need to go all the way to Carlisle. Appleby is the 'far' side of the Dales National Park, and is a nice little town to see for a few hours. Skipton Narrowboats may have availability? You could even hire a widebeam on that stretch. Pleanty of swing bridges as well as locks. If you went the other way, towards Leeds, you could see Saltaire, and 'do' the Bingley 5-rise.

Personally I'd avoid the Cheshire ring. A week is rushing it, and the middle of Manchester (the Rochdale 9) is an unpleasant experience.

Hobby horse -

Something around Birmingham? Lots of things to see and do and a change from the wilds of Cambridgeshire. Pretty it's not (but youngsters don't appreciate views).

The narrow locks are easy to operate and you can chose  routes with  some / many / lots of locks.

I won't expand - until you bite, you might be horrified at the suggestion. (We hated at the thought of Brum many years ago until we went and got seduced by the charm ??? of the place)

30 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Hobby horse -

Something around Birmingham? Lots of things to see and do and a change from the wilds of Cambridgeshire. Pretty it's not (but youngsters don't appreciate views).

Thanks OldGoat,

Am considering around Brum. But have visited there a few times, so have done quite a few things. But yes, we do like it there.

Toying with the Stratford-on-Avon Canal (which does skirt Brum I guess), Never been to S-o-A, and there are various boat possibilities aroudn there.

But all suggestions welcome, it all helps :-)

(And actually, eldest daughter likes scenery as she likes landscape photography :-) )

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The maccy is scenic in parts especialy near " Mow cop " and the locks. Its a very easy to do canal with easy narrow locks and good pubs/places to visit.

Agreed - that's the reason, along with the lack of suspect or no-go areas. The canal is widely thought to be one of the most scenic. The local beers are good too.

13 minutes ago, Galoka said:

eldest daughter likes scenery as she likes landscape photography

No shortage of that around that bit of Cheshire -- Peak District to the east, rolling greenery to the west.

Another vote for Birmingham. 

Include the popular Cadbury World, the Black Country Living Museum and maybe the Dudley Tunnel. 

The Stourport ring is a busy week, but if you picked up an Anglo Welch at Tardebigge you could head North to do a shorter circle via Kings Norton, Cadbury World, Wolverhampton flight, past Merry Hill, the Netherton tunnel and back via Kings Norton. 83 miles 75 locks if my quick canalplanner search was accurate. 

Edited to add:

or the same ring and pick up from Countrywide Cruisers at Brewood

Edited by MHS

Vote for Macclesfield , lovely canal  . Just come off the Llangollen  , very busy ...... we are heading up to the Macclesfield next . Last time there we walked over from Buxworth basin to Whalley Bridge and caught the train into Buxton . Fantastic views  from thr train ,  lovely old pavilion and a crescent to rival Bath ...... . Bunny 

For scenery, the meandering South Oxford Canal takes some beating: hire from Braunston or Napton and head South. It is, though, mostly rural, with only Banbury as a significant town along the way. It's also not too far from your home (we live in the Fens and moor on the South Oxford, the journey from home to boat takes a shade over 2 hours by car without breaking any speed limits).

Thank you for all your suggestions, it's all useful.

After some pondering, playing with potential routes etc. and in part dependent on boat availability and price we have hired a boat from Middlewich Narrowboats (Via Latelink for a good price, thanks for the tip Timx).

We are a bit undecided at the moment (got a week to go to weigh them up) but am planning on heading south down the T&M and then either up the Macclesfield Canal or down to Stoke and up the Caldon Canal. Pros and cons for both the options for us.

I appreciate the potential of going to Brum, but we would like to go to a bit of the country we haven't really visited before. And the things around Brum we might visit off the canal we have been to at least once already.

Thanks for you help folks. I'm sure where ever we go we will have a good time

Edited by Galoka

I believe it really doesn't matter how, when or where.

You, your family and its ability to have fun and enjoy new places will make it a success.

Stop planning and worrying about the things that matter to one bunch of people but not the next lot.

Get on board, cast off and go, take each day as it comes and make it up as you go along.

You'll have a great time.

9 hours ago, Galoka said:

After some pondering, playing with potential routes etc. and in part dependent on boat availability and price we have hired a boat from Middlewich Narrowboats (Via Latelink for a good price, thanks for the tip Timx).

We are a bit undecided at the moment (got a week to go to weigh them up) but am planning on heading south down the T&M and then either up the Macclesfield Canal or down to Stoke and up the Caldon Canal. Pros and cons for both the options for us.

I appreciate the potential of going to Brum, but we would like to go to a bit of the country we haven't really visited before. And the things around Brum we might visit off the canal we have been to at least once already.

The Caldon gives you the added excitement of the Harecastle Tunnel; the locks come at regular intervals which may be better for keeping the kids amused, and there's the chance of steam trains on the Churnet Valley Line.  Things may have improved, but Consall Forge used to be a mobile and internet black hole, which you may think is a good or bad thing.  Nice pub there, though, with the railway line right in front.

12 hours ago, Galoka said:

Good choice. Dont try to belt along a million miles a day enjoy the cruise dont have a target and you will have a fab time in that area.

Lots of locks, right from the start up to the Harecastle tunnel on that route, but once onto the Calden it is lovely, as is the Macclesfield.

If you want fewer locks, you could go to Chester, via the Middlewich branch, or for a virtually lock free holiday, head north up the T&M and onto the Bridgewater canal to Worsley to see the birthplace of the British canal system.

On 07/07/2017 at 22:55, zenataomm said:

I believe it really doesn't matter how, when or where.

You, your family and its ability to have fun and enjoy new places will make it a success.

Stop planning and worrying about the things that matter to one bunch of people but not the next lot.

Get on board, cast off and go, take each day as it comes and make it up as you go along.

You'll have a great time.

Thanks zenataomn, 

Yes, I',m sure we will have fun whatever, but for me the planning of what we might do before hand is part of the fun :-)

23 hours ago, cuthound said:

Lots of locks, right from the start up to the Harecastle tunnel on that route, but once onto the Calden it is lovely, as is the Macclesfield.

If you want fewer locks, you could go to Chester, via the Middlewich branch, or for a virtually lock free holiday, head north up the T&M and onto the Bridgewater canal to Worsley to see the birthplace of the British canal system.

Locks are fine, keep the kids busy and I figure by the time we get to Harecastle we will be dab hands :-)

If I wanted lock free I could cruise my local waterways, we live a few miles from the Great Ouse in Cambs.

As it happens Chester is where we went on our canal holiday when I was about 14. Where we had an exciting time going down the triple staircase locks there. I driving the boat and was in the middle lock when I realised I had got to the bottom (literally, the boat was resting on the bottom of the lock). Details are rather hazy now, but there was another boat waiting to go up and they were helping , I think they left the bottom paddles open on the bottom lock at some point and we didn't realise.

Anyway thanks for all your comments again :-)

Edited by Galoka

Personally I would go up the Caldon as long as you don't mind not seeing any other boats moving as it is generally very quite. A couple of nice pubs up there, plus a staircase although not as daunting as the one you remember from Chester.

If you made good time down to Harecastle you could always keep going and do the Four Counties ring, that is how we ended up doing the Four Counties the first time. The plan was a short out and back but we so underestimated how far we would go each day that after the second day it made sense to carry on round the ring.

Quiet is fine.  i'm avoiding the LLangollen because it's likely to be pretty busy.

I did consider doing the 4 Counties,  but I've no idea how fast or slow we will travel, or how much we will want to do. But we can alwasy change plans :-)

11 hours ago, Galoka said:

Quiet is fine.  i'm avoiding the LLangollen because it's likely to be pretty busy.

I did consider doing the 4 Counties,  but I've no idea how fast or slow we will travel, or how much we will want to do. But we can alwasy change plans :-)

If you are going to do a ring, make sure you change your plans early. Once you are more than half way are round a ring it is quicker to continue than go back.

Unexpected delays, such as a breakdown or a broken lock can put a lot of pressure on you if they occur when doing the second half of a ring. Best to allow an extra day,  as a contingency and have an extra days cruising near to base if you don't use it. 

On 11/07/2017 at 12:20, cuthound said:

If you are going to do a ring, make sure you change your plans early. Once you are more than half way are round a ring it is quicker to continue than go back.

Unexpected delays, such as a b. WE coreakdown or a broken lock can put a lot of pressure on you if they occur when doing the second half of a ring. Best to allow an extra day,  as a contingency and have an extra days cruising near to base if you don't use it. 

Yes, of course. If we made good time up the locks from Wheelock to  Hardcastle we might consider it. We can continue down the T&M for a bit before finally deciding.

But I doubt it. There doesn't really feel like any slack time and we will probably want to do some other things off the canal rather than crusing all the time. Take in a museum or two in Stoke etc.

Thanks again folks