Engine oil help.

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Kapt. Kipper. said:

Do you know what the suffix SE is

I think it means 'obolete'. No, really. See this link to the American Petroleum Institute's site (API), where it explains obsolete as Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1990.:

http://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-documents/oil-categories#tab_diesel-c-categories

I suggest a funnel!  If there's no room you can use a screwdriver to guide the oil into the crankcase by pouring the oil around the outside of the steel part.  Oil is very good at following the shaft, even when angled.  I find it best to hold the shaft across the top of the spout.  No sniggering in the back, please!

1 hour ago, Kapt. Kipper. said:

Thanks Rusty that appears looking at it, is the stuff already running through' its veins. Think you've found it.

That Shire specific oil looks silly expensive.

Millers oils are, I believe, very well respected, and the one already listed in this thread is considerably cheaper for exactly the same viscosity and API spec.

I'm not sure I'd pay £9 extra just to have it say Shire on the container!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Kapt. Kipper. said:

Thanks Giant I've looked at this and it doesn't give an alternative/modern spec for CC grades. Does any body know the modern spec ?.

There isn't an "alternative modern/spec for CC grades". You just carry on buying CC grade. There are plenty of suppliers still offering it. We get ours from Morris Lubricants.

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Ok, how about this one (although it says 05 onwards) 

http://wmc-online.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d30_Consumables_01.html

That's a straight 30 oil, a monograde, rather than the multigrade 10w/30 which is thinner when it is cold for easy starting and then thickens as it warms up.

2 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

That's a straight 30 oil, a monograde, rather than the multigrade 10w/30 which is thinner when it is cold for easy starting and then thickens as it warms up.

Was referring to 8th one down, sorry for any confusion 

The confusing thing is if you look at the spec oil for the yanmar base engine that the shire is based on it dose not specify cc grade oil so can only think barrus want you to buy oil from them, a bit like the filters etc.

Neil

1 hour ago, FadeToScarlet said:

Not quiet right but common believed. A multigrade oil still thins as it warms up but nowhere near as fast as a monograde so whne you get to running temperature its thinner but only as thin as a hot 30 grade oil.

13 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

The confusing thing is if you look at the spec oil for the yanmar base engine that the shire is based on it dose not specify cc grade oil so can only think barrus want you to buy oil from them, a bit like the filters etc.

Neil

It may be because inland boaters continually abuse their engines by running them on very light loads so the area of the combustion chamber never gets as hot as its design specification. This can cook modern oil additives into a "varnish" rather than burning it to ash. This causes bore glazing.

However so far an a well run in a Bukh DV36 using API CE or CF oil seems to be causing no such problem.