Manchester visitor mooring

KEWalker

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I'm coming from the Ashton onto the Rochdale and need to Moor one night in Manchester before heading get up to Mill Hills area the next day. Some people suggested the new Islington but I'm not sure if they mean visitor moorings at new Islington or staying in the marina. I can't find contact details for the marina. Can anyone clarify this for me. Where is safe to Moor for the night in Manchester if new Islington isn't an option? Thanks 

Thomas Telford basin in Piccadilly is the best bet. The signs appear to say "no mooring" but when you look closely, you are allowed one night. It's part of a gated community so fairly safe but you'll need to ask a local for the gate code - they seem happy to oblige for boaters.

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Thomas Telford basin in Piccadilly is the best bet. The signs appear to say "no mooring" but when you look closely, you are allowed one night. It's part of a gated community so fairly safe but you'll need to ask a local for the gate code - they seem happy to oblige for boaters.

Ditto this little basin - stayed there twice now - but be aware that not every resident will oblige you with the gate code - it's their security after all. If you can't get out you're stuck on your boat so smile sweetly and ask nicely. 

Last time I was there, there were 2 pontoon moorings at the bottom of the Ashton just before the bridge into Piccadilly Junction but there's no access to the town so you have to stay on your boat. I moored just above the top lock of the Rochdale 9  without any issues.

1 hour ago, starman said:

Ditto this little basin - stayed there twice now - but be aware that not every resident will oblige you with the gate code - it's their security after all. If you can't get out you're stuck on your boat so smile sweetly and ask nicely. 

When we stopped there, a resident volunteered the code without us even asking!

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This - We had no difficulty getting the gate code.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no entrance via the Ashton. There was going to be, but when it was discovered how many services ran along the road, that would need to be put over a new bridge or buried under the cut, they decided not to bother apparently.

Sorry I don't know if it's closed yet. I think it probably is.

We moored almost opposite the 24 hr private moorings, between Store Sheet aqueduct and Jutland St bridge on the bottom of the Ashton, there is room for 3 boats and the other two moored there had been left unattended with no problem.