How are we doing?

RichM

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Oh do wind your neck in, I made the post because Mike and his input would be welcome, members have said as much as have I and I'm sure Mike doesn't need you to hold his hand.

Phil 

And I won't be taking part in Thunderboat given this style of unnecessarily rude and combative post is considered normal over there. Encouraged even.

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And I won't be taking part in Thunderboat given this style of unnecessarily rude and combative post is considered normal over there. Encouraged even.

I like Phils posts but having squinted at the other place once a month or two ago and finding the so called forum owner and his buddies fing and cing at each other have decided that my combination of two working brain cells is one too many for such a forum.

• Greenie 2

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you found that post rude and combative I can only suggest you get out more often and if you have no desire to engage with Thunderboat perhaps you should refrain from threatening to join up.

Phil

• Greenie 1

So after a long day at work I come here to read a bunch of posts about TB... I am quite willing to make improvements for your benefit wherever I can but please keep it relevant and constructive.

6 hours ago, Drowsy Maggie said:

Could you please add a 'Help' page for newbies. For example, How do I ad a 'label' (flag?) to a post?

If you DO add a Help, (or one already exists) can you make it easy to find?

Thanks. Maybe a FAQ would be a good idea.

Apologies for my part Rich but if someone says something utterly ridiculous as Phil did it has to be challenged. I'd actually rather not be the one that steps up to the plate but felt I had to - if left unchallenged bullshit can easily become fact.

I will never ever wind my neck in (ie not allowed to speak my mind) if I believe an unfair or untrue statement is made. And there really was no need for the "wind your neck in". I was polite why couldn't he be? This aggressive reaction to someone questioning your view is incredibly unhealthy. I'd welcome an intelligent debate but it can never start with "wind your neck in"

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 4

5 hours ago, Ange said:

Apologies for my part Rich but if someone says something utterly ridiculous as Phil did it has to be challenged. I'd actually rather not be the one that steps up to the plate but felt I had to - if left unchallenged bullshit can easily become fact.

I will never ever wind my neck in (ie not allowed to speak my mind) if I believe an unfair or untrue statement is made. And there really was no need for the "wind your neck in". I was polite why couldn't he be? This aggressive reaction to someone questioning your view is incredibly unhealthy. I'd welcome an intelligent debate but it can never start with "wind your neck in"

Ange, you really are a delicate flower if you found my comment "oh do wind your neck in" to be of an extreme nature. And what was all the bullshit? Mike made (yet again) a comment suggesting he would join Thunderboat and I merely responded that he would be welcome. Your response was ,to my mind, unwarranted.

Phil 

I have no problem with the new site; it did take a little to get used to it but all is fine now. I do wonder about the relevance of the gallery photos on the RH side, however. Two of the them date from February and one from October last year. It strikes me that maybe this section is not necessary and removing it would free up some valuable space for other content.

Howard

On 01/07/2017 at 10:01, howardang said:

I have no problem with the new site; it did take a little to get used to it but all is fine now.

I agree with you in general, the site is now perfectly useable now it's been fine tuned. Or rather 'coarse tuned' to get it to this point.

Saying 'all is fine now' is a step too far though. The page headers waste FAR too much space. So much so that when I open a thread, none of the text of the first post is visible, the whole of the screen is gobbled up by the extravagantly large and numerous headers. A ludicrous bit of screen design.

Image2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I agree with you in general, the site is now perfectly useable now it's been fine tuned. Or rather 'coarse tuned' to get it to this point.

Saying 'all is fine now' is a step too far though. The page headers waste FAR too much space. So much so that when I open a thread, none of the text of the first post is visible, the whole of the screen is gobbled up by the extravagantly large and numerous headers. A ludicrous bit of screen design.

Image2.jpg

Ok, to clarify, all is fine with the site for me! I am sure you will have other comments.:boat:

Howard

I would like a "mark all threads as read" at the top of the page, as well as at the bottom - on the desktop version.

the mobile versions have this as an option in a menu at the top.

Why? Once I get to the end of new posts I usually refresh the page, and go back to the top to see if there is anything new in the last few minutes. If there isn't, I have to scroll to the bottom to mark everything as read. Not the end of the world but, every time I do it I thing, " If only...... "

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Image2.jpg

4 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I would like a "mark all threads as read" at the top of the page, as well as at the bottom - on the desktop version.

the mobile versions have this as an option in a menu at the top.

Why? Once I get to the end of new posts I usually refresh the page, and go back to the top to see if there is anything new in the last few minutes. If there isn't, I have to scroll to the bottom to mark everything as read. Not the end of the world but, every time I do it I thing, " If only...... "

Both of these require skin design changes. I will feedback to IPS Focus who designed the skin.

As for "Mark site read" functionality, one workaround to add a link to the top is to bookmark the link. To do this, right click on "Mark side read" at the bottom and then click "Copy link address". Then create a new browser bookmark using the link that you have just copied. The process may differ slightly depending on what browser you're using, but I tested it on Chrome and it seems to work. 

markread.png

24 minutes ago, RichM said:

Both of these require skin design changes. I will feedback to IPS Focus who designed the skin.

Fanx. By all means send them my screenshot too. I suspect quite a few boaters use notebooks. 

20 minutes ago, mross said:

MTB, do you know the screen resolution of your notebook?  I had to buy a new notebook when I wanted to upgrade from Win7.  On my ASUS Transformer I can see the whole of the first post.

going by the screenshot (which looks unscaled) his screen resolution is 1024 x 600 which is / was a fairly common resolution for netbook pc's (although most now are 1280x800 or higher)

I had a netbook and (this is a true story) it was physically impossible to order dog food online, because the screen height was too small and there was no option to scroll down to reach the lowest fields of the form then submit it, to initiate the order. I had to fire up a normal notebook (which was my previous one to this, and battery-hungry) to do it.

19 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Ange, you really are a delicate flower if you found my comment "oh do wind your neck in" to be of an extreme nature. And what was all the bullshit? Mike made (yet again) a comment suggesting he would join Thunderboat and I merely responded that he would be welcome. Your response was ,to my mind, unwarranted.

Phil 

Lordy not a delicate flower by a long shot - just someone who believes in mutual respect (I was raised on a very rough council estate - that taught me my values). The wind the neck in was intrinsically disrespectful and could never lead to any meaningful debate. Do you seek respectful debate or combat? I know which one I prefer and pity you if you feel that discourse on the internet is all about putting on your big boy pants and being unnecessarily aggressive.

As for Mike being welcome on Thunderboat I see there is yet another thread, this time rejoicing and mocking his engine woes entitled "Mick the plumbers engine" 7 pages.. That's why my response was utterly warrantied (along with Mike the Boiler man is a prick" thread and "he's at it again" making it clear that he'd have a hard time if he joined, maybe from a few, but a very vocal few.

Again I rest my case. Politely. I challenge you to respond in kind.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 4

we must beg to differ because I do not go along with pulling my big boys pants nor do I feel my comments were aggressive, there is one other point we must disagree on and that is, no matter how lovely it is of you to leap to Mikes defence, I'm certain he is more than capable of speaking for himself .

Phil 

19 hours ago, RichM said:

As for "Mark site read" functionality, one workaround to add a link to the top is to bookmark the link. To do this, right click on "Mark side read" at the bottom and then click "Copy link address". Then create a new browser bookmark using the link that you have just copied. The process may differ slightly depending on what browser you're using, but I tested it on Chrome and it seems to work. 

markread.png

That seems like a good workaround such that, for me, there is no need to change the skin :) Many Thanks!!

One feature I do miss that disappeared in a previous upgrade was the "top of page" option (not sure if that was what it was called) so you could shoot straight up to the top of the page once the last post in a thread had been read. A very minor thing and no biggie but it would be nice to have that back.

6 hours ago, Ange said:

One feature I do miss that disappeared in a previous upgrade was the "top of page" option (not sure if that was what it was called) so you could shoot straight up to the top of the page once the last post in a thread had been read. A very minor thing and no biggie but it would be nice to have that back.

On a laptop/desktop use the 'HOME' key on your keyboard to achieve this.  Cuts down on mouse miles!

• Greenie 2

22 hours ago, mross said:

I use the 'END' key on my laptop and it goes straight to the bottom of the page - then I click on 'mark site read'.  Instead of clicking OK in the dialogue box, I just tap the spacebar.

That's even easier, and HOME to go to the top. Didnt know you could move around a web page in this way - Very helpful!!

It's much quicker to use keys where possible.  I also use 'page up' and 'page down'.  The spacebar will often work as page down or will select the highlighted button in a dialogue box.  The 'TAB' key is useful for moving between all the buttons on a page and 'SHIFT-TAB' for moving backwards.

This can also get you out of trouble if the mouse/touchpad freezes.