Bad news, good news on the painting front.

dave moore

Featured Posts

On 04/07/2017 at 08:59, LEO said:

Good painting is not confined to narrowboats, I saw this superb decorative work at The Chiltern Steam Rally at the weekend, on a Showman's engine.........

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Quite staggering.

Delightful shade of maroon on the flywheel, boiler etc. Does anyone know what paint and colour this would be?

On 6/30/2017 at 11:46, dave moore said:

Hi all

I had rather hoped that the photos had generated a tad more interest, though I suspect that many forum members have little interest in traditional ways. ...

Dave

I think the problem is that the title isn't clear about what this is - I thought it was about painting a boat

I think those who do "proper" painting maintaining traditional styles, and maintaining the tradition of evolution in painting styles should be encouraged and supported. Faced with a choice between cheap copies or none at all I go for none at all, and when the day comes, will pay someone to do it properly, in the meantime I'm not going to support cheap crap on my boats

Leo wrote:

"Good painting is not confined to narrowboats, I saw this superb decorative work at The Chiltern Steam Rally at the weekend, on a Showman's engine........."

Absolutely. Not just Traction engines either, classic commercial vehicles and even modern lorries, some displaying fantastic murals of the American West. How it's done I don't know, maybe there is an element of compterisation, but the signwriters art is alive and well, and greatly respected (if not by the Chinese! Nice try, but must try harder.)

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite staggering.

Delightful shade of maroon on the flywheel, boiler etc. Does anyone know what paint and colour this would be?

Sorry, I can't help with the paint, but the polish used is AutoGlym - these particular engines are making big money. One exhibitor (used to be our milkman's son) has a showman's engine, living wagon (pictured) and a couple of steam road rollers............plus the farm the show is held on.

IMG_3546.JPG

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/colours

There were others of course such as Keeps, and I think Tekaloid are still going as manufacturers.

I don't rate Autoglym much, it's like most silicon waxes - takes off too much paint. Start with Maguiar's and work up (in terms of cost!!). Or have a read:

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-car-wax-and-car-polish-and-why-it-matters/

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/152506/best-car-wax-to-buy-today

On 6/30/2017 at 11:46, dave moore said:

Hi all

I had rather hoped that the photos had generated a tad more interest, 

IMG_1232.JPG.62fb934e3cdf057bda0dac13033

I would say one of the reasons it hasn't created more interest is that, for a shocking fake that can is very convincing - Hold the apoplexy Dave and let me explain

Sue was taught by Phil on one of his day courses, I've watched her paint up stuff so I got to understand a little bit about what the craft is, what the elements contain and how they are created. If you don't know anything about the subject you won't know why the tennis ball roses are wrong, why the daisies are crude, or wonder what's going on with those primroses(?)

If you know nothing, this is an obviously old can (cos it's chipped), craft painted (cos the paint is uneven), and a bit of canalware (it's got roses on it) and it's a bargain! It's a trap for the unwary. I imagine that whoever buys one is in for a terrible shock if they ever try to sell it

I shall be on the lookout for these now

Richard

On 02/07/2017 at 00:05, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dave,

I was wondering around at Braunston show last weekend and wondered if the new lettering on narrow boat GORSE was your work...

I took a photo:

New Image.JPG

Come to think of it - there is a similiarity  :)

20141003_122338_zpsl95oht57.jpg

(How does Dave do it when the boat is bobbing about!).

Edited by mark99