Victron Transformer -3600 Noisy

KirstieH

Featured Posts

Hello

Does anyone have a Victron Transformer 3600 transformer fitted and if so, is it noisy?

Mine had to be fitted in a cupboard in my stern cabin and it is making the most annoying sound /s.

It is kind of like having a fridge in the room, albeit in a cupboard.

I expected it to make some humming when under load, but at night I only have a radio plugged in and maybe the TV on standby.

It is kind of a low level humming changing volume / pitch regardless of load.

Is it normal?  

Thank you

All tranformers hum, it is caused by the laminations which make up the iron core vibrating in sympathy with the alternating waveform.

Hum should only increase with load. Is it securely mounted and not causing something to vibrate in sympathy? 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

All tranformers hum, it is caused by the laminations which make up the iron core vibrating in sympathy with the alternating waveform.

Hum should only increase with load. Is it securely mounted and not causing something to vibrate in sympathy? 

Hi Yes I did expect it to hum but naively thought if most stuff was off at night it would quieten down.  My recorded noise (Attached)  is with everything off.

No it is not vibration it is in a very secure panel - thick oak cupboard no steel no wobbles no rattles.  Bit gutted really as I just don't think I can sleep through it :(  I want my old isolator back...sniff.....

It sounds to me like the board it's attached to is acting as a sound board. 

If it's temporarily unscrewed from the board and sat on a duvet is it much, much quieter? Let us know. 

It may be that the board is acting as a sound board, and so could be better if mounted on rubber blocks or some other sound isolating method.  How loud is it if not bolted to the board, that would be an interesting test.

Added, Looks like we have the same thoughts, though you can type quicker.

Added again - almost the same words, how weird.....

Edited by Chewbacka

It sounds quite loud - but then you can adjust the volume.

WotEver's idea sounds good. Before  dismantling, how about seeing if the steel case is vibrating in sympathy with the transformer. Try putting a pillow against the case and see if the noise abates. If so, then it's a matter of case damping - which is easier than relocating the unit etc.

Mounting the unit on a solid board solidly mounted is one. Just don't wrap the unit in   a way that airflow is restricted.

Many of there transformers nowadays are 'torroidal' unlike in my day whet they were rectangular and you could tighten up a couple of bolts. You could -get someone to check the transformer  mounting, it's bolt may be loose.... 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The Victron is. 

Aha - that limits things, IME you need a solid mounting to grasp the coil. My noisy one only had a feeble  steel washer to grasp the coil. A shaped piece of ply at either end might dampen it??

I've never looked inside the case of a Victron IT but whenever I've used toroids myself I've always used clamping plates which have neoprene washers and a strong bolt through. So it goes Case, washer/plate, neoprene, TX, neoprene, plate. 

If it's still noisy when removed from the board then it may be faulty. Victron specifically refer to the TX as 'low noise'. 

Perhaps it never got fully encapsulated?

If it is quieter when removed from the mounting board try using  soft grade rubber mount bobbins to isolate the vibration. You need to know the weight and divide equally between the mounts. Exhaust mounts are possibly the easiest to buy or search anti vibration mounts.

Thanks everyone.  I don't think it is the vibrating of the case it is the coils inside. so i think I might just sound insulate the cupboard and put up with it.  At least my boat is a bit protected so it might be worth it....

28 minutes ago, KirstieH said:

I don't think it is the vibrating of the case it is the coils inside...

... which will vibrate the case, which will vibrate the mounting board...

The internal toroidal transformer should hum very little. 

On 21/06/2017 at 17:14, KirstieH said:

Mine had to be fitted in a cupboard in my stern cabin and it is making the most annoying sound /s.

This reads as if it was a recent installation/purchase? If so, have you checked with Victron whether whatever internal component is causing the noise, is covered by their 5 year warranty? Warranty info here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/20150209_Warranty_final_en.pdf

3 hours ago, KirstieH said:

Thanks everyone.  I don't think it is the vibrating of the case it is the coils inside. so i think I might just sound insulate the cupboard and put up with it.  At least my boat is a bit protected so it might be worth it....

If you do that, please realise that the unit does get hot when working hard and at least, hot electronics don't last long - quite apart from the possibility of a fire or charring.

Easier to fix the problem at source - there are folks on here who'd be happy to help, if you ask nicely.

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If you do that, please realise that the unit does get hot when working hard and at least, hot electronics don't last long - quite apart from the possibility of a fire or charring.

Easier to fix the problem at source - there are folks on here who'd be happy to help, if you ask nicely.

Oh good point. As it is new i hadnt noticed it getting hot yet. I have worked out that it increases in noise not when i use items on my boat but when everyone else on the pontoon does! I will try the rubber feet idea :) not my feet obvs!

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

... which will vibrate the case, which will vibrate the mounting board...

The internal toroidal transformer should hum very little. 

Yes i understand that but the case isn't vibrating. Tried the pillow idea (dampner) and still the same. Coming from inside.....

9 minutes ago, KirstieH said:

Yes i understand that but the case isn't vibrating. Tried the pillow idea (dampner) and still the same. Coming from inside.....

I shan't believe you until you tell us that you temporarily unscrewed it from the wall and the sound was the same ;)