ENJOY LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE SAYS CANAL CHARITY

Ray T

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

He got it from a lad called Alladin, who had a magic lamp.

He got it from a metelot to see what he could get and he rubbed and he rubbed and he rubbed and he rubbed and he aint got f--- all yet etc etc etc :D

Having just finished my 3rd cycling holiday of this year, I've again cycled along a towpath, this time on the Lancaster canal. Not sure why we are all labelled as 'Lycra clad', but, yes, as a 58 year old cyclist, when I'm touring, I wear cycling shorts and a cycling top, which both have an element of Lycra in them, but so does many other items of clothing, which the majority of you reading this are possibly wearing.

My bikes don't have bells on them, but I have a mouth which I open and speak to people. When coming up behind walkers, I get about 20 yards from them and shout, 'excuse me please', I find that is so much better and polite than ringing a bell and expecting them to move. I don't get annoyed with the runners who have their earphones in and the music too loud to hear anything, I don't get annoyed with the dog walkers who are letting their dogs run freely and un-tethered, I don't even get annoyed with the dog walkers who have their dog tethered, and move to one side of the path leaving their dog on the other side with the lead stretched across the path!!

On the Lancaster, I saw 2 boats moving, I gave a cheery 'good morning' to the first and was greeted with a 'good morning' back and a wave. The same greeting was given to the second boat, but the bloke at the tiller kept his eyes firmly to the bow and never acknowledged me at all.

As for the speed, yes, less than 10 mph is going fast for a towpath, and that is on a hybrid bike with cyclo-cross tyres, think I managed about 8 mph, down to 3 or 4 when going under the bridges. I know this is a bit long winded, but as people have said, there's good and bad in all walks of life. I like to think I'm a good and courteous cyclist, but, I'm a good and courteous boater also. So, we need to be educating the minority of morons, not the majority of good, sensible people who enjoy all parts of the canal system. Just my opinion.

Kevin

6 hours ago, mark99 said:

Re working boatmen etc.

Was not the towpath largely fenced and all public kept out?

Don't know if this has any relevance but all Railway land must be fenced off to discourage access. obvious exceptions stations, level crossings etc.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_transport_offences/#railway

Railway Trespass 

Several summary offences deal with this (Stones 7-7041):

• Section 16 Railway Regulation Act 1840: it is an offence to wilfully trespass on any railway or premises connected therewith and to refuse to leave when asked to do so by any officer or agent of the railway company. 'Wilfulness' can be proved by the refusal to leave. The offence is punishable by one month's imprisonment
  • Section 23 Regulation of the Railways Act 1868: this prohibits passage upon or across any railway line except for the purpose of crossing the line at an authorised point. A person commits an offence by so doing after having once received warning by the railway company, their servants or agents, to desist
  • Section 55 British Transport Commission Act 1949: this penalises trespass on railway lines or property in dangerous proximity to such lines or electrical apparatus. Evidence is required of a notice exhibited at the station nearest the place of offence providing a clear public warning not to trespass on a railway. Punishable by a fine.