Mooring for the night in stone and Stoke on Trent

KEWalker

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, KEWalker said:

Where is safe and good to Moor for the night in Stone and in or around Stoke on Trent? Thanks

Hi

I have moored in both places many times over the past several years. I think you will have no problems anywhere. I have had few if any problems mooring on any of our system. A few times ropes been untied etc but nothing of any concern.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi

I have moored in both places many times over the past several years. I think you will have no problems anywhere. I have had few if any problems mooring on any of our system. A few times ropes been untied etc but nothing of any concern.

Ditto - except not untied. Pins have pulled out (elsewhere) but use piling hooks.

I like it at Stone. Plenty of shops, pubs, but spread over a number of locks.

Just now, Horace42 said:

Ditto - except not untied. Pins have pulled out (elsewhere) but use piling hooks.

I like it at Stone. Plenty of shops, pubs, but spread over a number of locks.

Me too, Stone is a good place to visit. I answered the ops original question more in a way to state that there realy isnt anywhere I wont moor and have never had realy big problems. Been stoned about three times and two of those was at a supposed top notch posh locality so location often means for nowt.

Both places are fine.

I got the impression when I came through Stone the VM below the bottom lock were often quite full though (it certainly was at the time-I just about squeezed in). Mind you, there was no one moored on the moorings above the lock at all.

There are lots of mooring places at Stoke. There are moorings as you come out of the top lock (I stayed there for a couple of days when I came through there-I was the only boat moored there oddly; there were plenty moored in other places but no boats there, but it was completely fine), some moorings round the corner on the Caldon canal, and more moorings further on just past Festival Park Marina (near the Toby Carvery) which is where most people seem to moor.

There's usually more space on the moorings at the top of Stone than at the bottom, and a bit quieter. As for Stoke, either Etruria by the marina or go on to Westport Lake. It's about 45 minutes from Westport to the tunnel the next morning.

Some bits of Stoke are a bit grotty, I would only moor overnight above Etruria lock, at Festival park outside the pub, or preferably at Westport Lake. In Stone you can moor anywhere you can find a space, but quite a bit of it is given over to the boatyard.

Stone is good everywhere, have heard of very occasional and very low level trouble below Star lock as local lads do meet in the sport centre grounds in the evening, but its nothing worse than sitting on the front deck.

Stoke feels a bit rough but have moored above the top lock (Etruria) a few times with no trouble, though might just encounter a motor bike on the towpath. Dodging a motor bike, and lots of cyclists, is a small price to pay for a mooring within easy walking distance of the Holy Inadequate. The roofing builders merchant off the towpath sells very cheap gas.

................Dave 

The one place along this stretch in which nearly everyone advises against mooring overnight is the area immediately north of Harecastle, before you reach the junction. Think it's a bit of a druggie hotspot. As mentioned above Stone is fine and the places mentioned in Stoke (and also at the south tunnel portal) are also OK; above the locks basically.

All of the above is spot on advice. I'd add Barlaston, between Stone and Stoke as a good place to stop if the timings work better. The Plume of Feathers is now under new management and, albeit a tad pricey, has a much better vibe than the seedy dive we encountered when we first rocked up there.

If you do stop at Westport Lake (a lovely spot) be aware there are facilities there that are not signed or on any maps  or guides

And plus four for the Holy Inadequate - a fantastic dog friendly pub with a good choice of proper beers (no food except pork pies, so don't go there expecting a meal).

Have fun!

Anywhere in or near Stone is fine, all the way to Trentham lock on the outskirts of Stoke. After Trentham lock the only places i would moor is Etruria (above the lock), Festival Park (outside the pub) or Westport Lake. There's plenty of space at all 3 of those places. I wouldn't stop anywhere else in Stoke, no matter how nice it seems.

11 hours ago, Ange said:

All of the above is spot on advice. I'd add Barlaston, between Stone and Stoke as a good place to stop if the timings work better. The Plume of Feathers is now under new management and, albeit a tad pricey, has a much better vibe than the seedy dive we encountered when we first rocked up there.

If you do stop at Westport Lake (a lovely spot) be aware there are facilities there that are not signed or on any maps  or guides

And plus four for the Holy Inadequate - a fantastic dog friendly pub with a good choice of proper beers (no food except pork pies, so don't go there expecting a meal).

Have fun!

Is the Plume of Feathers still an ego-trip, calling itself 'The Plume of Feathers with Neil Morrissey'?  

It's a bit of a trek to a decent pub from Westport Lake, but I've managed it!

Another one for the chorus for the 'Holy Inadequate', but the references to the pub by the marina are misleading - a Toby Carvery to my mind is not a pub.

All the above places are good to moor. I would add , in Stone the Borehole which is limestone brewery's tap and also the Royal Exchange which is a Titanic brewery pub are well worth visiting. They are both nearer the top of the locks on the other side of the railway.

Another vote also for the Holy Inadequate. The Blue Bell is well worth visiting but not open Monday and only from 4pm other weekdays, moor on the aqueduct on the branch and walk back up the locks.

As we have children we also visit the Waterworld in Stoke just up the road from the Carvery in the old festival site, great fun with lots of slides

Edited by captain birdseye

We've often moored in Stone, in fact it is one of our all-time favourite places. The moorings on the way in are the best and quietest, as long as you moor as early as you can - further to walk but quieter. They have a superb farmer's market - first Sat of the month - which is mainly food! Brilliant.

Plenty of shops and a big Morrisons too.

Pubs - the Swan is probably the best if you like your real ale.

The Titanic pub (Royal Exchange) has a lot of their range of beers (try a Plummage - a mix of Plum Porter and Steerage! Nice) plus guest beers. Plus you can take you lunch in too (from the excellent pie shop?). Further away and a good walk! Is the Borehole, an excellent little community pub run by the Lymestone brewery.

If you have a dog that likes a swim, the river Trent is a short walk away.

For boat services/chandlers - the one up near the CRT facilities is very & heplful.