Braunston Historic Boat Gathering - This Weekend

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

How old is a plank then?

Richard

How old are you? How many cells in your body are the same ones you had when you were born? And of course you are 70-something % water - but that water is constantly being excreted and replaced by new water.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

How old are you? How many cells in your body are the same ones you had when you were born? And of course you are 70-something % water - but that water is constantly being excreted and replaced by new water.

From a tree point of view the timber is as old as the year is has grown, once the initial growth stage is over in the cambium layer the wood is functionality dead, so no cell replacement

Apparently this year there is a measurement plan, and all will move on Friday to allocated spots. This should cause more of a shambles than the procession and be worth watching. Personally I have already started. A hirer getting me  bored attempting to turn in braunston marina took so long it was easier to reverse the eight boat lengths to our slot. As a result we have a new sport reversing against oncoming historic boats. The hirer rather than turning under the bridges decided to attempt to turn the other way...... I believe he may be still up the mud pinned on the bank

39 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Apparently this year there is a measurement plan, and all will move on Friday to allocated spots. This should cause more of a shambles than the procession and be worth watching.

Oh  joy! A game of musical boats!

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I managed to sneak a couple of hours at Braunston this afternoon by volunteering to take the dog for a 'walk'. Charlie has subsequently joined the CRT Heritage Working Boats group.

IMG_0723_zpsmpbrsjan.jpg

Maybe not quite the walk Charlie was supposed to have but he seemed to enjoy his time on cabin.  You can almost see me steering as well.

16 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Maybe not quite the walk Charlie was supposed to have but he seemed to enjoy his time on cabin.  You can almost see me steering as well.

I have changed the photo to one that reveals more of your beauty

1 minute ago, IanM said:

Steerer was a bit rubbish though wasn't he :P

No, much better than an ex professional boater last year, who rammed the bank at ladder bridge and managed to pitch me onto the floor off one of the water barrels.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

No, much better than an ex professional boater last year, who rammed the bank at ladder bridge and managed to pitch me onto the floor off one of the water barrels.

Yesterday a particularly well known ex working boatman managed to come through the ladder bridge and hit the piling opposite so hard that s0me are reckoning the front rode up it so far the base plate was out of the water.  All describe it as by far the biggest knock they have ever seen at a Braunston show.

Positioned where we were today, (as shown in your picture) we saw more (full length) boats hit the piling (at least a bit) than those) that did not.  My general feeling having watched many others was that perhaps I'm a better steerer than I sometimes think I am. :P

On 25/06/2017 at 21:50, alan_fincher said:

Yesterday a particularly well known ex working boatman managed to come through the ladder bridge and hit the piling opposite so hard that s0me are reckoning the front rode up it so far the base plate was out of the water.  All describe it as by far the biggest knock they have ever seen at a Braunston show.

Positioned where we were today, (as shown in your picture) we saw more (full length) boats hit the piling (at least a bit) than those) that did not.  My general feeling having watched many others was that perhaps I'm a better steerer than I sometimes think I am. :P

I'm one of those who saw the baseplate. 'Glimpsed' would be more accurate. As the boat hit and climbed up the bank, free air under about two feet of baseplate appeared for an instant before the boat slipped backwards back into the water.

Regarding your last comment, how good a steerer do you sometimes think you am? Like, did you hit the piling coming around? I bet you didn't! :)