Portable Generator leaking petrol

Momac

Featured Posts

The Briggs & Stratton petrol engine of my ride-on mower has a solenoid on the bowl of the carburetor.

It is to stop petrol leaking out of the carburetor when not in use. It failed once. I lost the whole contents of the petrol over a period of one week.

I've no idea about the construction of an Impax generator. I mention it for what it is worth.

After removing several screws  including  the rubber feet off the base of the generator  I  have removed one section of the plastic cover.

The fuel hose attached to the fuel tank outlet was split. As I loosened the cover some petrol emerged from the split . The fuel tap remains attached to the cover so moving the cover off the generator  placed further strain on the hose .  I am sure the hose was split already and my removal of the cover has simply extended the split . I intend to fit a longer piece of hose as a replacement .

There is motorcycle/scooter  sales showroom just down the road from the office. I intend to try there for some fuel hose and may get a small fuel filter at the same time. Hopefully a cheap fix.

On 20 June 2017 at 08:36, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm slowly weaning myself off eating animals.

So, Aldi are good for steak and generators. Sounds a jolly fine shop!

Anything else?

(Tidying up edit.)

I can recommend their velcro-backed sanding disks, which are cheap and adequate quality.  They once had stainless steed D-shackles, and I should have bought several packs.  A lot of it I would not touch with a long shaft.

I find it frustrating that much of the stock is only available for a short time.

Edited by mango
Another sentence added

On 20/06/2017 at 08:17, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah, an error on my part. Mine is the next one down, now gone up to £189 I see.

15760_P?$autoprodblock$

I have one of those. The first died (no start) within a year and was replaced under guarantee. Replacement is still going strong.

They're pretty easy to dissasemble and get at the fuel-carrying bits.

MP.

I realise that not everyone wants to spend the sort of money required to buy a Honda or even a Kippor, but I really don't understand why boaters buy really cheap generators. You get what you pay for. But I guess there is a market for anything. If Aldi started selling marine diesel canal boat engines of very dubious quality quite cheaply, I suppose some boaters would buy them!

Personally with any petrol suitcase generator, noise level is one of the most important factors for me. I don't wish to annoy myself or others with generator noise which is why I would always stick with decent quality.  

Edited by blackrose

The generator wasn't from Aldi it was from Screwfix.

I accept the Honda generators have the  best reputation but I only expect to use the generator a few times a year . At £280 it was a bit of a gamble but considerably cheaper than the lower powered Honda EU10i .

I have fitted a new fuel pipe which cost a whole pound (and which i could probably have bought for less but the motorcycle garage was conveniently located) . That seems to have fixed the fault although not tested yet for more than a few minutes running.

I notified Screwfix about the fault due to the health and safety aspect . It was out of warranty.  However  Screwfix have credited my account with £30 as a gesture. Quite happy with that as we are  in need of a few bits for the house such as a curtain pole and some led bulbs which they sell at a reasonable  price.

Edited by MartynG

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 08:16, Alan de Enfield said:

Amazing that a (perceived) 'high quality' company such as Screwfix

That might be the perception but not necessarily the reality. Before retiring I managed an independent builders merchants & some of the tales we heard (many taken with a pinch of salt) were a nightmare. One chap bought 3 things, the so say galvanised plasterboard nails rusted when the boards were skimmed, the ceiling rose melted & caught fire with only a 60w bulb & I cant remember the 3rd horror. But in this case, full marks to them for customer service.

Steve

• 6 years later...
On 20/06/2017 at 07:56, MtB said:

I have one of those gennies too. Mine isn't leaking (yet).

Amazingly cheap at £159 (IIRC), but not so cheap if they only last a year...

A brief update to this thread. It's leaking now!

Only when ON, and still leaks whilst running. It seems to be leaking from the fuel isolator valve spindle itself, as well as from a split in the hose behind. 

Given it is now eight years old and the chances of getting a new isolator valve are slim AND its a bit under-powered, maybe time for a new one. 

Shockingly the tiny 700W Impax is now £260. Amazon is flogging this 2000W inverter genny for £179, if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamond-Portable-Inverter-Generator-Jobsites/dp/B0CX3JFGKH/ref=pd_ci_mcx_pspc_dp_d_2_i_0?pd_rd_w=HyjOl&content-id=amzn1.sym.8db49f41-2d78-4c1c-bc3b-fb9e44b9efb4&pf_rd_p=8db49f41-2d78-4c1c-bc3b-fb9e44b9efb4&pf_rd_r=YNEF73VVJ1MBP9HF2PZH&pd_rd_wg=7l5l0&pd_rd_r=ee38ac3a-83b3-491b-8010-25985116ea9f

image.png.1a2cc2a932afae4015c13bf76b6ab1a6.png