A week on the Grand-Union on a Wyvern Hireboat

Michael Donning

Featured Posts

People warned us about the "canal car" just as we went off in the morning in Fenny Stratford so we were well prepared. This proved once more the very friendly atmosphere on the canals even though we were hireboaters.

And you learn: Nevery say "Yes" when a Heron asks to drive your car.
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11295/vehicle-in-canal-by-bridge-90c-h9-groveway-milton-keynes-grand-union-canal

i suppose it makes a change from seeing ducks in the water, must admit i prefer to see ducks though.

Most people i have met at Locks and as the other boats pass you by are very friendly and will offer some good advise. Just one hint though, beware of the other boater who is happy to stand back and let you do all the work, these people are very few and far between but i have come across a few.

23 minutes ago, Paul T said:

i suppose it makes a change from seeing ducks in the water, must admit i prefer to see ducks though.

Most people i have met at Locks and as the other boats pass you by are very friendly and will offer some good advise. Just one hint though, beware of the other boater who is happy to stand back and let you do all the work, these people are very few and far between but i have come across a few.

Would those folk who were apparently happy to stand back perhaps have been single handlers? Failing that they may simply have been inexperienced or unsure or had a bad experience when trying to help.

If you go boating you should be willing and able to do everything yourself; no-one is under any obligation to help you.

When single handing and arriving at a lock to find it already in use it provides a good opportunity to tie on the lock landing and have a drink or a snack or other things you can do on the move when you have a crew. Also if there are other crew at a lock I will happily let them work the lock while I stay on board, it's quicker for everyone. I dare say both practices might appear lazy at face value.

Conversely I don't particularly want partial help when single handing as there is enough to be dealing with without having to think about the consequences of what someone else is doing outside of my normal routine.

JP

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Would those folk who were apparently happy to stand back perhaps have been single handlers? Failing that they may simply have been inexperienced or unsure or had a bad experience when trying to help.

If you go boating you should be willing and able to do everything yourself; no-one is under any obligation to help you.

When single handing and arriving at a lock to find it already in use it provides a good opportunity to tie on the lock landing and have a drink or a snack or other things you can do on the move when you have a crew. Also if there are other crew at a lock I will happily let them work the lock while I stay on board, it's quicker for everyone. I dare say both practices might appear lazy at face value.

Conversely I don't particularly want partial help when single handing as there is enough to be dealing with without having to think about the consequences of what someone else is doing outside of my normal routine.

JP

Hi Captain Pegg, no i am afraid not the ones that i have come across were already in the Locks with wife on the boat controlling the boat and the husband/partner was quite happy to let my wife do the work for him and then doesn't even say thank you, as we always do when we wait for a boat to come through a lock we go and assist whoever the are. If they are elderly or have a medical condition or just not able to manage we are always happy to help but when 'Mr Lazy' comes along and wants the 'Happy Hirer' to do his work for him then sorry but too long in the tooth for that.

I have the up most respect for the solo boater and will always help them out because i am greeeeeeeeeeeeeeen with envy.

23 minutes ago, Paul T said:

Hi Captain Pegg, no i am afraid not the ones that i have come across were already in the Locks with wife on the boat controlling the boat and the husband/partner was quite happy to let my wife do the work for him and then doesn't even say thank you, as we always do when we wait for a boat to come through a lock we go and assist whoever the are. If they are elderly or have a medical condition or just not able to manage we are always happy to help but when 'Mr Lazy' comes along and wants the 'Happy Hirer' to do his work for him then sorry but too long in the tooth for that.

I have the up most respect for the solo boater and will always help them out because i am greeeeeeeeeeeeeeen with envy.

I agree that a thank you is always in order and that there are inevitably a few unhelpful folk in any walk of life. I think on the cut it's compounded by the fact that almost everyone is helpful and friendly so it does have a surprisingly negative effect when you meet someone who isn't.

Don't forget though that there are many invisible disabilities that make it difficult to work locks and I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to keep afloat despite their woes.

Take it as a compliment that he was happy to let a hire boat crew work the lock for him!

Speaking from experience I have rarely if ever had any problem with hire boat crews at locks and enjoy chatting to them about their trips. 

Or with working boats - ex or otherwise - for that matter (other threads are available on that subject).

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

I am with you on this, as i said earlier it is few and far between that you meet ignorant people and they a very small minority, and it is one that never spoils our enjoyment whilst afloat because we won't let it, ignorance just annoys me that's all.

i agree with the captain .there are some that sit back ,,but very few .most help out, and yes give me a hirer any time ..but to be fair when myself and mister do locks it is nice to get a little help ..but in all fairness we are just as happy doing them ourselfs .i have seen some right carry ons ,how many of of you heard which way you going ..you coming in .you going out ...endless