Warning - RCD - New Rules on Changes To Your Boat

Featured Posts

The scope of the new RCD directive now specifically applies to Major Craft Conversion (Article 2.1 {f}) and affects boat owners in the sale and modification of second hand boats.

Major Craft Conversion is defined in Article 3(7) of the directive and means "a conversion of a watercraft which changes the means of propulsion of the watercraft, involves a major modification"

Article 19(3) of the new directive places a responsibility on anyone undertaking a Major Craft Modification shall apply the procedure referred to in Article 23 before placing the product on the market, or, putting it into service (whichever is the earlier).

So - if you are thinking about taking out your Diesel and replacing it with an Electric motor - check carefully the new RCD requirements - your insurance may be invalidated if you do not have RCD compliance or certification.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Does this apply to RCD exempt boats because of age - they were new before the RCD was invented?

I have no idea - it is just a 'warning' issued by the RYA.

Which is why I suggested that if anyone is looking to replace their BMC1500 with an electric drive (for example) - No names, No Pack-Drill, that it may be worth further investigation.

I suppose I am thinking of the coroners recommendations after the last deaths in a block of flats and the fact that the then housing minister at present for some reason obviously unknown to mere mortals like me seems to have "sat" on the report/recommendations since 2010- or so I am led to believe. If by implication you believe that the inferno was some sort of "act of God" and rules that the average mature human being lives by weren`t shall I say set aside I don`t understand your thinking. I would add that the fact that a change of engine warrants legislation applicable in the RCD but a multi- million refurbishment seems to pay  more regard to the "rules and requirements" of the conservation of energy and a buildings appearance than a more modern outlook on health and safety- especially when based on practical experience of previous events. Change of engine.  Whats that all about and what reasoning is it based on. Please enlighten me.  

13 hours ago, Rick-n-Jo said:

Ridiculous. Ignore. IMO

A very mature comment - and unfortunately typical of many in this day & age.

We don't like the rules - well just ignore them - but when it suits 'you' and not others there is uproar about the 'rule breakers'.

Even C&RT is not above 'ignoring' rules / laws if it suits them