Dunchurch pools marina coming along

Bewildered

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They were right in, up to about chest height, installing the bank reinforcement bang opposite the entrance. (In preparation for it to be regularly hit, presumably!)

i personally think the worst entrance is Fenny Compton Marina  this looks to be a good one.

22 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Had a Facebook picture from a friend yesterday which seemed to inply that she was already moored in there.

Tim 

Just spoken to my friend who says that she as the first in but is currently on a temporary mooring waiting for teh North Pool to be completed.

Tim

9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Just spoken to my friend who says that she as the first in but is currently on a temporary mooring waiting for teh North Pool to be completed.

Tim

Has the stop planking across the marina entrance been removed now then? 

Or is she trapped in her own personal lake?

Yes, it does seem to be coming along. The initial idea was to let boats in to the first "pond" - just so they had a mooring (and nothing else).

I've got friends here (Yelvertoft) who have one of their super-berths booked.

They were doing very good deals (i.e. 20% off 1st yr, 15% the next etc) and they seem very well organised, yes, they are next to a prison and yes the big park is open to the public but it does look like a well planned and run marina.

We have "free" wifi here at Yelvertoft and it's very good - I have an aerial but no booster. If you use a VPN, like TotalVPN, it's very secure & safe.

18 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Horrible hole next to a prison about to have its cat level increased

I can see the headlines now, convicted murderers make a break for it on a fleet of Narrowboats that they hijacked 

I don't know why the bit below got posted again, sorry

On 17/06/2017 at 08:55, MrBeethoven said:

I walked along that towpath only 2 or 3 weeks and it was definitely still in use. 

There was a footpath across from the canal to the village from the bridge near the marina entrance before the land was fenced off for digging out. I believe the diversion was in respect of that footpath, not in respect of the towpath.

That is what I thought was the case, but not been through there for a while.

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

I have never seen a picture of pontoons in before the water before, it is blowing my mind a little!

Got to be easier to install them that way; no need to pay the local scuba club to do the footings:D

On 02/07/2017 at 21:58, roland elsdon said:

Horrible hole next to a prison about to have its cat level increased

I used to live next to the horrible hole, it already has quite a good cat population (tame and feral) thanks to the 91 houses that are already there

35 minutes ago, Tonka said:

It already has a widebeam moored there. Shouldn't be allowed on narrow canal

There are some wide beams moored at Barby Moorings also and that is a lot further up, but for all I know they may have been craned in there!

43 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

There are some wide beams moored at Barby Moorings also and that is a lot further up, but for all I know they may have been craned in there!

They have been known to travel between Braunston and Hillmorton

Yes, and I don't think there is any official CRT position on widebeams on narrow canals because up until about two years ago, there was one moored officially on the long term moorings in Hillmorton, albeit it was only maybe 9ft wide and not one of the bigger ones like you can currently see in Barby.

Edited by Starcoaster

6 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

Yes, and I don't think there is any official CRT position on widebeams on narrow canals because up until about two years ago, there was one moored officially on the long term moorings in Hillmorton, albeit it was only maybe 9ft wide and not one of the bigger ones like you can currently see in Barby.

That is because CRT and the previous acronyms never foresaw the problem that widebeams would become, The GU is still classified as a wide canal as far north as Berkhamstead only

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dunfixing said:

Fat boats must be catching, there is a new wide beam moored in Crick marina, should cause havoc boating along the Leister section of the Gu.

It's going to get interesting if widebeams being craned into marinas on narrow canals become commonplace. 

The argument that a widebeam should pay the same licence fee as a narrowboat because it has access to only half the waterways will be somewhat undermined. By the same argument a widebeam in a narrow canal marina should pay only a token licence as they'll only have access to one pound. Clearly a ludicrous assertion.

56 minutes ago, dunfixing said:

Fat boats must be catching, there is a new wide beam moored in Crick marina, should cause havoc boating along the Leister section of the Gu.

Let's hope another one joins it and they meet at one of the many places across the summit that you struggle to pass two narrowboats....then perhaps after they are wedged solid sense might prevail and they are banned from anywhere but the widest waterways. 

• Greenie 3

I was told today, by someone who moors at Barby, that Dunchurch Pools have now put out the no turning signs by their whacking great V-shaped entrance.

Can it really be true?

I've been hoping for ages to able to turn there in the future.

I wonder if it will be worth risking it anyway, they surely aren't going to be as bad as Mr and Mrs Friendly at Barby can they?

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

I was told today, by someone who moors at Barby, that Dunchurch Pools have now put out the no turning signs by their whacking great V-shaped entrance.

Can it really be true?

I've been hoping for ages to able to turn there in the future.

I wonder if it will be worth risking it anyway, they surely aren't going to be as bad as Mr and Mrs Friendly at Barby can they?

What can they do? Shout at you?  If they do, glance at your wrist and shout back "Quarter past three!"