George & Mary

Heartland

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, IanM said:

Both moored near Weedon.

Actually, Mary is moored, George is on the bank at the moment.

Picture taken a few years back.

10821697453_32778c30a5_c.jpg

George, Mary and William by Ian, on Flickr

Funnily enough, I may be being daft, but I don't recall seeing George on the bank when we passed yesterday.  Only Mary was on the moorings.

Actual location is Dodford about a mile North of central Weedon.  Tim's moorings are currently very full of various ex (did you see what I did  there Nick Norman?) working boats.

11 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

it is well hidden behind the bushes

Yes I know, but I think the bushes must have grown some more!

The whole area is rapidly becoming a boatyard -three tracked cranes there now, I think!

The George and Mary is a great little book both the original and the more recent editions are very informative. George has been in my family longer than I have, my Dad bought it from a scrap yard in 1963 and we were lucky enough to get Mary to go with it over 30 years ago. That's a great picture you have posted there IanM must have been taken just after the Royalty Class motor William also joined us. Yes you're right George is out on the bank at the moment, it is out on the bank owing to an issue which is being dealt with and does of course need a bit of work as part of an ongoing maintenance programme. The tracked cranes Alan are almost as addictive as boats but I am in the process of having a bit of a cull and if you'd like one of the smaller ones which sports the British Waterways green livery and the famous bridge-ol- fulla- reeds logo let me know!  Yes there's a fine collection of historic craft here at the minute, far more than usual, as they tend to muster around this time of year ready for Braunston.          

On 16/06/2017 at 23:33, Tim Carter said:

The tracked cranes Alan are almost as addictive as boats but I am in the process of having a bit of a cull and if you'd like one of the smaller ones which sports the British Waterways green livery and the famous bridge-ol- fulla- reeds logo let me know! 

With my usual bleary early morning eyesight, I initially read that as "almost as attractive as the boats", which I think would be open to debate!

Can't think of anywhere to keep my own crane, so will need to decline the generous offer, I think.