Purchase is close

LadyG

Featured Posts

On the question of survey or not. This popped up on the magazine forum last week. I have redacted certain words and I am sure the originator will not mind me publishing it here. I think it sums up the risks nicely.

" i recently had a 40ft liverpool boat surveyed at a boat yard next to XX marina, i picked a reputable surveyor from your ads, the owner had it advertised on apollo duck and on the XX marina website but selling it privately, it was as advertise as so " 40ft Cruiser Stern Liverpool Boats - £29,995 Very nice boat located at Aston Marina, definitely worth a look, trust me I looked at a lot before I found this little gem! Repainted in 2013 by the previous owner and blacked by XX Marina in August 2016, also had full engine service and new auto bilge pump fitted. She has been very well looked after and has had regular engine services". it was in wonderful condition on the water & inside , once out of water the surveyor discovered that it was actually a 10mm baseplate which seemed a bit strange seen as it said 8mm on the conformation of conformity, i thought that was great and that it was going to be the one, all side readings were satisfactory but then when the surveyor started scraping the base baseplate to get a proper reading he discovered lots of deep pittings, not just local ones but dotted all over the bottom and especially around the centre from bow to stern, the deepest he found were 4.7mm, with no guarantee of deeper ones, (i have included a picture) the surveyor was quite alarmed by this, he said to us that it would need a complete over plate, we were bit saddened obviously, anyway he carried on the survey , i decided to walk away from the deal & stopped the survey before he got to the electrics which was the last thing to do, it was a simple set up & we knew the electrics were good because of the recent bss which the surveyor read & the owner has always had it plugged into the shoreline when on board, he used it as a temporary place to sleep (2-3 days a week) for the last 13 months on told me there were no problems. As the owner was not present i had to then ring the owner to tell him that there was a problem with his boat and that i would request my deposit back, he refunded me the £500. I was advised not to reveal the problem to the owner so that he may agree to help with the cost of the survey, i had already spent £270 on a lift out etc, he agreed to pay half the survey, but he wanted me to send him the draft pdf copy before payment, i was advised not to by the surveyor but i did as i wanted to get it over with. he is now complaining that the survey was stopped short of electrics which he knows are fine and is now not replying to any of my messages & emails. the only URGENT survey recommendation was to over plate before use, yet the owner , seven days ago has it back on apollo duck for the same price £29.995 saying what a "gem" it is with no mention of the recent survey nor recommendation. so i suppose what i am asking you experts is where do i stand , is there any way of reporting this for the safety of everyone on the canals, i would hate to hear that boat XX had sunk with unaware people on board, its such a good looking boat that it wouldn't surprise me someone buying it with out a survey and sink , any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thank you all"

Now, I did not get the photo and have no way of knowing the extent of the damage. Just maybe the overplating recommendation was a bit over the top. Unless Lady G gets the boat out of the water how will she find out about the hull even if she feels confident in assessing the extent of hull deterioration.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is there not an 8k limit on cash transactions?

There's a sound way of finding out. Offer me more than £8,000 in RFC and see if I accept it or not.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

There's a sound way of finding out. Offer me more than £8,000 in RFC and see if I accept it or not.

Don't listen to Athy. Offer me £10k cash...

(This could run for a while)...:P

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dingle said:

Don't listen to Athy. Offer me £10k cash...

(This could run for a while)...:P

:D

Actually someone told me many yonks ago that it was illegal to modify (usually lower if cash is involved) a selling price on the grounds of method of payment. I can't imagine this to be true, as I believe that some companies routinely charge a higher price when customers are paying by credit card, but I'm sure that one of our legal experts will clarify the situation.

LadyG,

A couple of months ago I bought my current boat, likely a bit older than yours-to-be, (and for a little less money) it was a well maintained one-owner from new boat.

Being a little bit sensible I insisted on a full survey as I didn't really fancy any big projects in the immediate future.

The hull sides were very good with minimal pitting, the base plate was a different story with a 'rash' (surveyors own word) of pitting along the length of the base, some deep enough to warrant overplating.  There were a couple of other relatively minor issues that needed addressing 'in the near future'  but otherwise a nice boat for her age.

The survey allowed me to negotiate £8K off the asking price - the overplating etc. cost to put the boat mainly right. (She is being completely overplated - bottom and sides to the waterline)

Prior to 3 trips through the Harecastle Tunnel the boat was beautifully presented in paintwork and fresh hull blacking... (but that is another story)

So spending £700+ prior to purchase proved a worthwhile expense.

Like many others have said before, the boat chose me (I had looked at quite a few in the past too) as soon as I boarded her, now I am waiting patiently to get her into her slot for overplating and only doing little trips out until then, but once all is done that will certainly change!

Just as an aside, there is no shoreline connection on the boat so Galvanic Erosion was not suspected...

May I suggest you have a survey done, just in case?

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

Actually someone told me many yonks ago that it was illegal to modify (usually lower if cash is involved) a selling price on the grounds of method of payment. I can't imagine this to be true, as I believe that some companies routinely charge a higher price when customers are paying by credit card, but I'm sure that one of our legal experts will clarify the situation.

Having owned a "Golf Chandlery" I know that I sold whatever I wanted to whomever paying in whichever way they wanted at whatever price I deemed appropriate :icecream:

However, I do know that price fixing is illegal but suppliers have ways around that! It seems that for those slippery enough there is always a way round everything.

Back on topic, it will be interesting to see what happens with LadyG's purchase #Excited (do we hashtag on here or is it considered a little "uncouth"?

1 minute ago, Dingle said:

#Excited (do we hashtag on here or is it considered a little "uncouth"?

If I knew what it meant, I'd tell you. I think couth is generally preferable.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It isn't. Most large transactions these days (eg car purchase) are done by debit (but not credit) card. It's a salutary experience spending north of £20 grand on the press of a few buttons. You have to let your bank know it's going to happen first, though.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

the main point here is 

that I tell vendor: here is 30k, today [almost]

or £35 next month/some time in he future subject to deduction for survey notifications,

Why can't you tell the vendor here is 30k today (almost) subject to survey?

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

On the question of survey or not. This popped up on the magazine forum last week. I have redacted certain words and I am sure the originator will not mind me publishing it here. I think it sums up the risks nicely.

" i recently had a 40ft liverpool boat surveyed at a boat yard next to XX marina, i picked a reputable surveyor from your ads, the owner had it advertised on apollo duck and on the XX marina website but selling it privately, it was as advertise as so " 40ft Cruiser Stern Liverpool Boats - £29,995 Very nice boat located at Aston Marina, definitely worth a look, trust me I looked at a lot before I found this little gem! Repainted in 2013 by the previous owner and blacked by XX Marina in August 2016, also had full engine service and new auto bilge pump fitted. She has been very well looked after and has had regular engine services". it was in wonderful condition on the water & inside , once out of water the surveyor discovered that it was actually a 10mm baseplate which seemed a bit strange seen as it said 8mm on the conformation of conformity, i thought that was great and that it was going to be the one, all side readings were satisfactory but then when the surveyor started scraping the base baseplate to get a proper reading he discovered lots of deep pittings, not just local ones but dotted all over the bottom and especially around the centre from bow to stern, the deepest he found were 4.7mm, with no guarantee of deeper ones, (i have included a picture) the surveyor was quite alarmed by this, he said to us that it would need a complete over plate, we were bit saddened obviously, anyway he carried on the survey , i decided to walk away from the deal & stopped the survey before he got to the electrics which was the last thing to do, it was a simple set up & we knew the electrics were good because of the recent bss which the surveyor read & the owner has always had it plugged into the shoreline when on board, he used it as a temporary place to sleep (2-3 days a week) for the last 13 months on told me there were no problems. As the owner was not present i had to then ring the owner to tell him that there was a problem with his boat and that i would request my deposit back, he refunded me the £500. I was advised not to reveal the problem to the owner so that he may agree to help with the cost of the survey, i had already spent £270 on a lift out etc, he agreed to pay half the survey, but he wanted me to send him the draft pdf copy before payment, i was advised not to by the surveyor but i did as i wanted to get it over with. he is now complaining that the survey was stopped short of electrics which he knows are fine and is now not replying to any of my messages & emails. the only URGENT survey recommendation was to over plate before use, yet the owner , seven days ago has it back on apollo duck for the same price £29.995 saying what a "gem" it is with no mention of the recent survey nor recommendation. so i suppose what i am asking you experts is where do i stand , is there any way of reporting this for the safety of everyone on the canals, i would hate to hear that boat XX had sunk with unaware people on board, its such a good looking boat that it wouldn't surprise me someone buying it with out a survey and sink , any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thank you all"

Now, I did not get the photo and have no way of knowing the extent of the damage. Just maybe the overplating recommendation was a bit over the top. Unless Lady G gets the boat out of the water how will she find out about the hull even if she feels confident in assessing the extent of hull deterioration.

Where are all the 'no need to paint the baseplate it doesn't  rust ' members ?

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Opinion is valuable, I am willing to pay £30k and take a [ten percent risk, on a boat which seems a darn good boat.

How do you know it's a 10% risk? The SP doesn't accurately reflect the true probability (ask any bookie). 

1 minute ago, Troyboy said:

Where are all the 'no need to paint the baseplate it doesn't  rust ' members ?

Here, for one. The boat is out of the water at present, the third coat of blacking has just gone on, but not on the baseplate. No visible problem.

Edited by Machpoint005
missing word!
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Too late, i just bought it to use as a tender :)

you bacckstabbin bastrd, !!!! just cos there are no pics of the Thorneycroft does not mean there is no engine

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why can't you tell the vendor here is 30k today (almost) subject to survey?

if i was the vendor, I would say no.

To me, subject  to survey means the offer would be negotiable. after the offer.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

you bacckstabbin bastrd, !!!! just cos there are no pics of the Thorneycroft does not mean there is no engine

Dunno why you want one of those orrible metal box boats anyway. 

View from my office window 

IMG_20170615_144846190.jpg

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Worth repeating. 

Have you seen it? 

yes, it looks fine . its very very clean, the paintwork was done a year ago, its all in working order, the agent seems OK, I am not sure why it is up for sale, but circumstances change,

2 hours ago, Athy said:

when I say cash, I mean a payment, with no ifs and buts.

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

if i was the vendor, I would say no.

To me, subject  to survey means the offer would be negotiable. after the offer.

But you are not the vendor. It matters not what you think on that matter.

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Dunno why you want one of those orrible metal box boats anyway. 

View from my office window 

IMG_20170615_144846190.jpg

Wells next the Sea.

Missing it this year. First year in about 7 we won't be going :(

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Any one can tart something up to make it look better than it really is.

yes, this has had a lot of money spent on it, probably £10K  or more if paying  professional fees, its not an owner fit out.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

But you are not the vendor. It matters not what you think on that matter.

Wells next the Sea.

Missing it this year. First year in about 7 we won't be going :(

Ssshhhh don't tell everyone. Its a secret