Starter pinion

Gardner

Featured Posts

I require a replacement pinion for the starter motor on my engine. This motor is. CAV model BS5. The pinion is part no. 5549-306D is of bronze  & clockwise rotation with 13 teeth. I have located two auto electrical companies who list this item but both are out of stock at this time.

Gardner spares list it but are extremely expensive

Any new contacts would be appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Gardner said:

Richard. I consider £195 plus vat to be expensive when wood auto list it as £33. Only problem being wood auto are out of stock at this time

Reminds me of the joke which concludes with something like, "ours are only £33 when we havent got any!!"

I'll get my coat :(

27 minutes ago, Gardner said:

Richard. I consider £195 plus vat to be expensive when wood auto list it as £33. Only problem being wood auto are out of stock at this time

I could easily believe either price to be correct for such a part

Richard

It's very easy to chase your tail endlessly trying to buy a rare part for the price you think it should be.

In the meantime the one you are turning down gets sold and they say to you 'sorry, that was out last one. Can't get any more'.... 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's very easy to chase your tail endlessly trying to buy a rare part for the price you think it should be.

In the meantime the one you are turning down gets sold and they say to you 'sorry, that was out last one. Can't get any more'.... 

That's an ideal solution because once they are out of stock, they will be £33

Richard

My 4lk uses the cav bs 5 starter also. I have the remnants of several in the shed, they may be one there. They are either 11or13 tooth. Can't remember.  I'll look over the weekend. Two good firms to try, Middletons in Manchester, or west lancs auto electrics.  You are wanting the pinion with the helix machined on one end aren't you? 

• 1 month later...

If you still need a spare pinion gear for your starter, I found one the other day. Looks unused, has 5549/306d stamped on the end. Bronze. 13 teeth.  Pm me if you want it. I can post it or something. Collect Manchester area.