Gas cooker problem - no gas to main oven !

Featured Posts

Hello,

Ok so I have a leisure GRB6GVK gas cooker (which is new to me) but I cannot seem to get the bottom oven to work! Very annoying ! It has been converted to LPG as it was from a house. There are two ovens and the top smaller oven makes a noise when the gas is coming out so I know it is working even before I light it but I cannot hear anything from the bottom oven (ie no gas coming out?) any suggestions ? Perhaps its something simple but I have had a good look inside and at the back, anyone have any suggestions ??

Any suggestions appreciated I realise it is quite a specific question.

Thanks

Martin

6 hours ago, meerlaan said:

There are two ovens and the top smaller oven makes a noise when the gas is coming out so I know it is working even before I light it but I cannot hear anything from the bottom oven (ie no gas coming out?) any suggestions ?

Deleted 

Edited by rusty69

Jon, Thank you so much. What an idiot I feel like !! yes I didn't set the time on the clock :/ it works !!! :) 

However the ticker (electric ignition) doesn't go off, anyone know why this might be ?

Also cant seem to adjust the gas flow for the bottom oven? as in the manual I tightened a small brass screw to reduce the flow of gas for LPG but doesnt seem to be a screw behind the knob for the oven :?

Thanks 

Martin

Some, old stoves had battery-operated igniters but many were mechanical (Piezo-electric).  The mechanical ones made a loud click when you pressed a button.  Possibly, the spark plug thingy in the oven is dirty and the voltage is bypassing the air gap.  Try cleaning it with a toothbrush and soapy water and then leave it to dry out.

12 hours ago, meerlaan said:

However the ticker (electric ignition) doesn't go off, anyone know why this might be ?

Thanks 

Martin

If it is from a house it will probably have a 230V sparker, which may not have been connected up to the supply in the boat as it would require the inverter to be on, unless you have a landline.

22 minutes ago, dor said:

(electric ignition) doesn't go off,

I wonder if the OP means that the spark continues after the burner has lit.  I have this issue on the Belling oven on my boat. It uses a 230v supply.  My guess is that the thermocouple is not in the flame.

Phil

I haven't got round to looking at mine yet. I believe that the control will be driven by a thermocouple that produces a voltage when hot - just as the flame failure devices work - and that is the signal to stop the clicking. Just a guess at this stage but maybe it would be possible to bend the thermocouple into the flame or improve the electrical connection.

There are some knowledgeable gas bods on here who can help out.

As the 12V igniter box on my cooker looks all but identical to the one on the Alde and I understand the Alde one does something clever re the ionised gas in the flame to know when to turn off things may not be so clear cut. Certainly try cleaning the igniter electrode. With a bit of luck whoever posted that about the Alde will be along to explain more.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

With a bit of luck whoever posted that about the Alde will be along to explain more.

I don't believe he posts here any longer but by the magic of science...

• 2 months later...

Annoyingly I still havent managed to fix this !!

Setting the clock means gas comes out :P first problem solved,  I contact Leisure and they recommended a new "Main Oven Spark Ignition plug" (Part number: 268300009) well I just fitting this and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I have uploaded a video to show the issue : https://youtu.be/gGuwyzPuRvs

If anyone has any idea I would be very greateful, the spark that is going seems to be on the hobs but these are fine when I use these on their own, but when the oven is lit all the hob igniters click, meaning if I push a knob they light instantly :/

Thanks everyone for any advice.

Martin

20170823_185104.jpg

1 hour ago, AllanC said:

Looking at the video, the igniter is still sparking in the oven even when the gas is lit. No idea why the hobs should spark at the same time.

Cos it cheaper that way. One sparker lots of switches. If the gas aint on a spark does no harm. If the gas is on it gets lit

N

Ok that makes sense. This is just a random thought, but as a work around maybe Martin could light the oven as normal and then light one of the hobs for a few seconds. Just maybe the impulse needed to turn off the igniter will be produced from the burner on the hob. If the clicking stops, turn off the unwanted burner.

Basically the cooker uses the flame to complete an electrical circuit to sense when the gas is lit and stop sparking ( Flame rectification )  

Leisure where on the right track as an electrode and lead normally fixes this cheaply.

You are now onto  the possibility of it being the igniter control box which is probably expensive.

An earth fault on the appliance or wiring of the boat. The cooker may not be playing nice with the Inverter assuming the cooker is 240vac.

Maybe check the plug or spur is wired correctly for starters.

Hi WotEver, thanks for point our the broken link :)

@AllanC good idea ! I tried lighting everything. All four hobs and even grill all though the spark noise changes slightly it still going off :/

@Jon12345 thanks for your suggestions!! Yes it's 240v running through a Victron multiplus. When you say check the plug what am I looking for, is it worth trying the cooker from my genny (have a Honda eu20i) any tips you have to help isolate the problem would be amazing!

Nah it never stops, but it is linked to the oven somehow! because it only doesnt stop when I light the oven. So the oven ignights itself (ie when i push the knob in and turn it, it sparks and lights) this is when the sparking starts! iterestingly if I spark a hob burner using the igniter button it works perfectly and shuts off once it is alight. Hope that makes sense.

How large is the gap between the  spark electrode and the metal of the burner compared with the grill and hob burners? I suspect that f its too large the resistance through the ionised flame may be too great so the igniter can not sense the burner is alight - educated guess, no more.