Hyundai HY3000SEi suitcase generator

Wyn2joy

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

My husband Les Biggs died some months back and I am sorting things out on my own now. I need to purchase a suitcase genny and I need the best bang for the few bucks I've got at my disposal. If I could afford a Honda I would not be on here asking about the Hyundai--just to nip that thread in the bud. 

I need it for several reasons: 1) Interim back up in case the batteries go south 2) to run power tools such as angle grinders, drills, sanders, etc. and a 900 watt vacuum cleaner several times a month.  Yes, I have solar--350 watts which handles pretty much all I throw at it in summer. I can even run the washing machine off the solar panels on a sunny summer day. The boat is fitted out with a 3000 watt pure sine wave combi-inverter.

Should the batteries go tits up (yes indeed we learned the hard way and VERY fast how quickly an immersion heater can suck the life out of all the batteries in minutes when inadvertently left on once disconnected from shore power. I won't ever make that mistake again!) I need something that will handle a 2100 watt Candy washing machine. The heating element has been disconnected and the washer is plumbed directly into the boat hot and cold water supply, drawing far less wattage than the 2100 the manual indicates.

This genny has an electric start with a recoil back up ( I don't have a lot of upper body strength and recoil starts are hard for me).  It is an inverter genny with pure sine wave and 2600 rated watts, running at 58 db. Does anyone on here have any experience with this particular generator?

I have a boat to paint and a shit load of other boaty chores to catch up with as Les wasn't able to stay on top of a lot of things in the two years before he died. We did the best we could (and he spent his final six months fitting out the boat to ensure I could continue cruising and ordering back up parts for everything he could think of--all labelled and stored under the dinette with a notebook of all part numbers and where I can purchase them, bless his magnificent soul, while I spent my time caring for him) but I have to get on top of these issues now to maintain the integrity of our boat because as you know rust never sleeps and boats require continual maintenance and upkeep and this boat is my  home--and all that I own in this world.

Sincerely,

Jaqueline (the Yank) Biggs

I have the 2000SE - its ok and runs every thing other than my washing machine (which still uses the element to heat the water). I decided I was better off using this size generator and  utilising the power assist on my Victron for the washing machine. I dont know how much the 3000 weighs but the 2000 is heavy enough-if you struggle to use the recoil then lugging it about may be a bit of a problem.

I have the cheaper copy- evopower 3000ei off ebay (£560) 

Similar to you only used during winter and when using power tools, electric start and remote start which is nice when it's raining

I will in no way compare it to a Honda, it is noticeably noisier, and quite vibey (it sits on top of a motorbike tyre to stop this)  but with regards to the pull start it does not need yanking, a gentle pull starts it easily

Oh Brill! Thanks for sharing this info. It has to be quieter than the Yamaha 14000 frame genny I have now! I cannot move it and I cannot start it so it has been sold.

Hi Paul,

Well at 69.5 pounds of weight it might take every fiber of my being to move it but it has a handle and wheels, so that will help. I can hoik a 25 K bag of coal off the roof of the boat but pulling a recoil start is something I simply cannot do. No way to put my back into it if you know what I mean.

if you can still get them the Kipor 3000 ( square looking thing) would be my choice. Reasonably quiet, electric start and seem very well built. moving it around will be a pig so mounting it where you can use it ( exhaust overboard, security chain) will save a lot of struggle. 

this one; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282197800538 

8 hours ago, Wyn2joy said:

Oh Brill! Thanks for sharing this info. It has to be quieter than the Yamaha 14000 frame genny I have now! I cannot move it and I cannot start it so it has been sold.

Hi Paul,

Well at 69.5 pounds of weight it might take every fiber of my being to move it but it has a handle and wheels, so that will help. I can hoik a 25 K bag of coal off the roof of the boat but pulling a recoil start is something I simply cannot do. No way to put my back into it if you know what I mean.

Whatever you end up 'going for' ensure that you can get it off the boat and run it ONLY on the bankside. Portable generators are not designed o have exhaust adapters fitted, and you obviously run risks (and BSS problems) if you re-fuel on board.

If your washing machine has the heater disconnected then you may get away with a smaller, lighter, generator

In the last 12 months there have been a number of Co fatalities due to running generators on board - don' become another one.

Although Alan is largely right with his warning, the most important thing is to use common sense.  For example, I have a large cruiser stern which is designed in such a way as to make it virtually impossible for exhaust fumes to enter the cabin, as long as the door is closed.  However, if I ran my genny next to my boat on the towpath with a window open, I could easily find fumes building up in my boat.  I could position a genny further away on the towpath but then it makes it tricky to secure the genny from theft and creates a trip hazard for towpath users.  

It's also vital to have at least 2 CO detectors, of different makes, bought at different times, installed correctly and tested fortnightly.

I have the Hyundai HY3000sei and I am very happy with it. It easily runs every thing we need including the washing machine and battery chargers at the same time.

it has an eco mode so it runs slow under light loads and increases the revs when demands are high, this is noticeable when the heater in the washing machine kicks in or we use the immersion heater.

The electric start is great although you need to pump the fuel primer 20-30 times before it will start.

The remote start is pointless unless the genny has been recently run, as the petrol will, over time, drain or evaporate and you will need to pump the primer before using the remote. Also the battery will go flat if you leave the switch on the genny for the remote operation switched on for any length of time; you will then need to pull start it. So this is pretty much a gimmick.

The only real draw backs are its size, bigger than the Honda, and it's weight. It is a hefty lump to lift on and off the boat.

Before buying I would recommend that you find one in a shop or spot one on the bank and tell them you are interested and want to see if you can easily lift it.

it may be a suitcase generator but it is more of a suitcase with a body in it.

you can also buy them with a gas conversion kit fitted or buy the kit seperately if this is something you were looking for.

Edited by Bewildered
  • Greenie 1

Many thanks to everyone who responded. As a result I am delaying the purchase of a generater in order to do more physical investigation into them. You've all been most helpful.

Cheers,

Jaqueline

As you have a decent Combi that can handle your equipment then also look at updating your alternator or adding an additional alternator.   The downside is you will be using the engine but it saves the hassle of getting  the genny out and starting it, especially in winter when it seems more of a faff.  You'll also won't need to store petrol, etc.