What you can or can't do?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Anyway, based on this morning, you can't just start your engine and chug off in the morning, you have to start your engine, rev it noisily, then let it run for a minimum of 10 minutes before setting off (all before 8am), else it will seize/blow up/conk out etc. Although funnily enough, the same people just get in their cars in the morning, start the engine and drive off.

Just now, nicknorman said:

Anyway, based on this morning, you can't just start your engine and chug off in the morning, you have to start your engine, rev it noisily, then let it run for a minimum of 10 minutes before setting off (all before 8am), else it will seize/blow up/conk out etc. Although funnily enough, the same people just get in their cars in the morning, start the engine and drive off.

This is especially annoying when moored in a coastal marina and the boats in question fire up their thundering great diesel engines with out of the water exhausts at 3am because they have to catch a tide at 3.30am.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If it's done for no specific reason, that is inconsiderate and, I'm sure, can be annoying. But sometimes it is necessary: some engines, especially older ones, need to warm up before they will deliver full power. Revving and derevving (if that is a word) it will often speed up the process. Yes, our car starts straight away, but then it hasn't got a 1956 engine. You are probably too young to remember, but up to the 1960s cars had a fitment called a choke which had to be pulled out in order to start the engine on cold mornings.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

If it's done for no specific reason, that is inconsiderate and, I'm sure, can be annoying. But sometimes it is necessary: some engines, especially older ones, need to warm up before they will deliver full power. Revving and derevving (if that is a word) it will often speed up the process. Yes, our car starts straight away, but then it hasn't got a 1956 engine. You are probably too young to remember, but up to the 1960s cars had a fitment called a choke which had to be pulled out in order to start the engine on cold mornings.

"Some engines need to warm up before the will deliver full power" - true, but chugging off past rows of moored boats on a canal surely doesn't require "full power"!

"1960s cars had a figment called a choke" - Yes, and so did 70s and 80s cars (I learnt to drive in '73 so well remember them!). However if I may explain a minor technical point - no diesel engine ever had a choke for cold starting!

But yes, some very, very old engines may need some warming up before they will run reliably but I'm talking about modern 4 cylinder jap / BMC / lister type engines.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But yes, some very, very old engines may need some warming up before they will run reliably but I'm talking about modern 4 cylinder jap / BMC / lister type engines.

Then, as I said, that is inconsiderate and could be annoying.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

If this was on a river then I would agree that you want to start the engine up and let it warm up a bit as you want to be certain there is no issue.  But on the BCN New Main Line I don't think that is needed, you don't exactly need full power to move off past moored boats.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If this was on a river then I would agree that you want to start the engine up and let it warm up a bit as you want to be certain there is no issue.  But on the BCN New Main Line I don't think that is needed, you don't exactly need full power to move off past moored boats.

As NN just mentioned, yes - though one may need a burst of power to get the boat moving.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Diesels ?

Don't know. I had a former London taxi in the '70s which needed something to help it start on cold mornings but I can't remember what it was.

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Don't know. I had a former London taxi in the '70s which needed something to help it start on cold mornings but I can't remember what it was.

Would that be a spray can of easy start? It's like cocaine for engines, they get addicted and won't start without it. Or perhaps a promise you wouldn't take it saff of the river!

Edited by Bewildered

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

Glowplugs? Kigass? Easystart? Blowtorch? Dunno, but deffo not a choke!

Rule: When somebody is hovering, waiting for you to exit, the maximum speed that you may employ is inversely proportional to the wind speed. The harder it is blowing, the slower the speed you may politely employ. 

Not heard it said but often seen it being observed.

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

No. Quite the opposite, accelerating a boat from a standing start requires the least amount of power.

Blimey, we nearly agree on something! Nearly, because I suppose a case where a boat is aground requires more power. Or a good shove!

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Blimey, we nearly agree on something! Nearly, because I suppose a case where a boat is aground requires more power. Or a good shove!

Nearly is good enough for me Nick. I realise it would almost pain you as much to admit you fully agree with me as it would to admit you love heritage ex-working boats. I reckon we could agree on a lot more if you could though.

Jon

56 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Rule: When somebody is hovering, waiting for you to exit, the maximum speed that you may employ is inversely proportional to the wind speed. The harder it is blowing, the slower the speed you may politely employ. 

Not heard it said but often seen it being observed.

That is the same when you give way at a bridge hole, the other boat comes through the bridge hole at minimum speed then turns hard right so their bum swings out in front of you

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Nearly is good enough for me Nick. I realise it would almost pain you as much to admit you fully agree with me as it would to admit you love heritage ex-working boats. I reckon we could agree on a lot more if you could though.

Jon

I will fully agree with you any time you're fully right!

No I don't "love" heritage ex-working boats but I thought the photos I posted in the OP were quite pleasant - which was why I posted them of course.

But I couldn't quite bring myself to admit it in the text, and wanted to capitalise on being a heretic in the eyes of the religious fanatics - who didn't disappoint of course. At least Rob got it! As to the rest, I'm fully expecting the Fatwah to be declared and the rucksack loaded with explosives and bolts dropped onto Telemachus from the next bridge!

Edited by nicknorman

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I will fully agree with you any time you're fully right!

No I don't "love" heritage ex-working boats but I thought the photos I posted in the OP were quite pleasant - which was why I posted them of course.

But I couldn't quite bring myself to admit it in the text, and wanted to capitalise on being a heretic in the eyes of the religious fanatics - who didn't disappoint of course. At least Rob got it! As to the rest, I'm fully expecting the Fatwah to be declared and the rucksay loaded with explosives and bolts dropped onto Telemachus from the next bridge!

If i was you I might be more worried about meeting my demise in an 'accident' involving a fully loaded coal boat!

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If i was you I might be more worried about meeting my demise in an 'accident' involving a fully loaded coal boat!

Conditional subjunctive <Athy hijack>, but never mind. Anyway I think we are both guilty of crossed threads!

52 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Not a problem, I've got some eye drops that will clear that up.

:D

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Glowplugs? Kigass? Easystart? Blowtorch? Dunno, but deffo not a choke!

I think one had to turn the ignition key the wrong way and hold it there for 30 seconds - but it is over 40 years ago so I can't be sure.

Sounds like a glow plug. The Gardner in your boat probably has a latch you press for cold starts? Mine has. Allows more fuel iirc on start up then slams shut.

Edited by mark99

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

As to the rest, I'm fully expecting the Fatwah to be declared and the rucksack loaded with explosives and bolts dropped onto Telemachus from the next bridge!

That won't happen.

It will be full not of bolts, but rivets, obviously! :P

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Sounds like a glow plug. The Gardner in your boat probably has a latch you press for cold starts? Mine has. Allows more fuel iirc on start up then slams shut.

It lifts up and is, as far as I know (which is not far with regard to anything technical) called a decompressor.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

It lifts up and is, as far as I know (which is not far with regard to anything technical) called a decompressor.

No its connected to the governor.

Edited by Athy
Edited to correct my spelling in the quoted post